Here’s Why the Suspiria Remake Is a Bad Idea, According to Argento

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Aug 25, 2016.

1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Funny how you clowns mostly change your tune when the topic is Ghostbusters, 2016: "Burn all remakes!!! Let's complain for hours on end!" But horror remakes? "God, quit your griping- will you!"

2. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

I saw an update on this today. Chloe Moretz was cast. I personally can't stand her. The Carrie remake was terrible too. Personally, I don't think you can remake an Argento film. He has a unique style all his own and his filmography is mostly about style.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm too fond of that casting decision either. If they aren't planning on making a stylish movie that's visually interesting then they've likely already failed.

I'm just hanging out for Synapse's release of Suspiria on blu. Wish that was out already.

othervoice1 likes this.
  4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Just heard that Tilda Swinton has also been cast for this remake. I do think she is a very good casting choice. She is a terrific actress. Wonder what part she will play?

Zombie Dude and othervoice1 like this.
  5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I would think she will probably play Ms Tanner or Madame Blanc. Would make more sense as Ms Tanner

6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I wonder if they'll do the wild color scheme...since EVERYTHING these days is cyan/orange or urine yellow/murky green what, if anything, new or interesting can they do?

DVD-fanatic-9 and Zombie Dude like this.
  7. Harry Warden

Well, back then, that made the film more creepy but you're right..every horror film these days blends the same color scheme. Will be interesting. Looks like Mario Bava's creative use of color and shadows, which Argento repeated in Suspiria, had an effect on modern day horror directors to say the least.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  8. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Seems some modern day filmmakers have been paying attention to the classics or they're all on auto-pilot these days. I mean I've seen TV commercials that mimic the looks of horror movies (some of the recent University of Phoenix ones). I expect the SAW doll to wheel out at any moment ;)
    I think my issue is that the classics were very special and unique and it seems the more remakes come out, the originals are often derided as being "too slow" or "cheesy" (and don't get me started on "dated").
    But, I just shrug at this point. Personally, I've given up entirely on current cinema. Done. Fin. I've got too much to discover in retro world...so many to enjoy. By going backwards, I feel like I'm moving forwards.

9. Harry Warden

Good for you. Yes, I always say there will never be another decade like the 1970's. Great horror films and all the classics weren't as classic at that time. I had a wonderful childhood watching horror movies and creature features. Sometimes going back to the past does have it's sweet rewards. :)

10. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

This is exactly what I've been doing. There is so much from the past that I haven't seen and its usually a safer bet than the newer stuff.

Rocker10, The Joker and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  11. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

It saddens me in a way that many younger people craft their entire concept of horror on the bullshit that comes out now. They even think it's good/scary because they have no means of comparison and they refuse to watch "old" movies. Kind of reminds me of kids who think Lil Wayne is hip hop, but know nothing about the golden era.

12. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Wild, aint it? My wife's friend was over the other day hanging out. She saw all the Halloween decorations already up and a stack of horror films on the coffee table. We mentioned we saw Blair Witch recently and that we watched the original because my wife had never seen it. Her friend (who's 22 years old) goes "Oh, I didn't even know there was an original one" Help my fuck. What a sad state of affairs.............. I felt really old when I told her I'd seen it in the theaters. 17 years ago. But then I realized why this crappy remake came out and it was pretty much the exact movie........ it makes sense. If it worked back then, why wouldn't it work now with a completely new audience completely unaware of the fact IT IS a remake? It's fucking bullshit, but it totally makes sense. If THAT makes sense. lol

p.s. Fuck Lil Wayne.

The Joker likes this.
  13. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Yeah man, I feel you. That's one of the reasons that remakes irk me sometimes. Films like Carrie, TCM, the Toolbox Murders etc are remade, these young kids see them, and then act like they "discovered" something. Then when they are told about the original, they shit on it because it preceded the film they thought was brand new.

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

via

Harry Warden likes this.
  15. Harry Warden

First Tilda Swinton and now Jessica Harper!! Sounds good to me.

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

But how do you feel about her in The Amityville Horror?

Just kidding. ;) I watched the AH remake this week for the first time since its theatrical release so I couldn't help but mention it. I didn't even realize that this was probably one of her first roles. Man, she is young.

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Amazon Studio's? Jesus, that doesn't sound promising...

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

They've done stuff like Refn's Neon Demon so shouldn't be any indication of quality, compromise of vision, or anything like that. And mainly they are just the distributor.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

I am intrigued by a new Suspiria. That film--one of my favorites--is such a perfect distillation of Argento's and Nicolodi's obsessions that I am really curious to see what someone else is going to do with it.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Man, they're even setting it in 1977? Just the establishing shots alone are going to drive me up the wall. "Look Disco is still cool! LOL! But don't worry, we'll play some jock rock to set you at ease. And check out my pet rock! Now we're going to sneak some pot because it's universally relatable with every youth generation. Groovy!" :confused: