Henry:Portrait of a Serial Killer DVD format

Discussion in 'General' started by BroodingHope, Jul 18, 2007.

1. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

On the Dark Sky 20th Anniversary DVD of Henry Portrait of a Serial killer the picture is presented in full frame, however, on the second disc documentary of the same DVD all scenes from the movie are presented in widescreen. If a widescreen version of the movie existed then why not release it? Or is it simply a case of video matting? Any help on this would be graciously appreciated as I can't seem to find much info anywhere.

2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

The proper OAR is full screen - so anything else is a matted version.

3. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

Awesome, I was beginning to think that I had purchased the wrong version

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I got a question- how long is the movie supposed to be? I haven't seen this movie since 2000 and I read now that some sources say it's 83 minutes, others say it's 90 minutes, and someone said the first DVD of the movie, on the MPI home video is 130 minutes. Does anyone own that version of the movie? Is it actually that long? Or is that the movie plus the extras on the DVD? Because on the cover, it says "Director's Edition" and "Totally Uncut & Uncensored". Is the Dark Sky version the same? Or is it different?

Please help, any info would be greatly appreciated.

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

All the versions of this I've owned or seen are around the same runtime of 83 minutes.
    The MPI box was a huge misprint as everything on the disc added together was only around 100 minutes. I used to own it but sold it when I bought the R2. Now I have the R2 in a trade stack and the Dark Sky in my collection, as it's the best version yet and the one to go for. Get it if you want the best, or if you want a cheap R2 version (has the commentary and an interview) PM me.

6. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

83 is the full uncut version. I believe there were cut versions that may have had 81 or even 80 minute running times, but 83 it the correct one.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Thanks but, I've actually seen the interview on the VHS I saw back there in 2000 or 2001. Which, thanks to you guys, I know was the full, uncut version. Strange though, I always felt based on that one viewing that something felt like it was missing. Maybe that's the way people are supposed to feel after watching this movie.

Too bad there's no review of it here in the Horrordvds database. I probably would have gotten it sooner.

Thanks again!