Hellraiser / 2012, remake?

Discussion in 'General' started by shift, Apr 27, 2011.

1. shift

shift Hot as shit!

2. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

Say what you will but in my book any Hellraiser is good Hellraiser.

Even the later recent films have an interesting mind-trip cheap vibe.

3. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I know I'm gonna get flack for this but I'm sorry. I still believe that without Doug Bradley it's not Hellraiser.

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Why would you get flack for that?

I agree there'll be no Pinhead without Bradley. But I'm just as rigid about them putting any other actress in the Clare Higgins / Julia role. What I think they need to do is start over from scratch with brand new everything. They can keep the old ideas, but do it with new characters. Wouldn't be hard, since none of the old people had much character to speak of. But what they had was presence and charisma. No one's going to be able to replace that if they try to slap a new face on an old name- whether it's Kirsty, Frank, Julia, Larry, or Pinhead. And other movies have already tried to copy pieces of this. Especially that ghost movie where Elizabeth Banks plays a sexy wicked stepmother. All I could think about was: Hellraiser with a blonde.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I agree with you. I love all of Hellraiser flicks, but I'm hesitant to see the latest release because the reviews are terrible, they put it together on a shoestring budget and Pinhead looks awful. I'll hold off commenting on a series reboot until more details are available.

6. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

It just seems lately that if you say the remake/reimaging will be terrible cause the original cast isn't there someone comes along & jumps down your throat. So I thought I would apoligise now & save myself the trouble.

7. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

THIS.

Clare acting was superb. In remakes and new horror movies the female cast have been fucking awful. I'm a huge fan of Hellraiser, but I think Bradley can be replaced to some extent without damaging the re-imagining (mostly because his parts consist of one liners that can be imitated), I wish he still do the remake though, but Clare is so great that her part is more crucial for the movie to work than any other role in the movie. Andrew Robinson is awesome too and I hope they don't cast some good looking 30 year old whose performance is mediocre. Then we have Ashley Laurence whom I love, but gave the weakest performance of the bunch (not counting minor roles), what I loved about her casting is that she's got what they call "angel", so is still a tough role to remake in the end.

Now, the second thing we should be most worried about is what took this movie from awesome to genius status: the music. I don't think this score can get any better, so they'll probably use the same one as the original. If they get "creative" please call Christopher Young and make him add something new to his score, but don't do anything else.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

I've actually never been a big fan of Hellraiser's score. Except for one scene (Julia and Frank fucking), it never really soars into the next stratosphere. Wait, I just forgot- the scene with Kirsty walking to Larry and Julia's house. That was beautiful. Understated. Any scene outdoors, actually (including the one at the bar and the one with Kirsty following Julia home).

But I agree, they're never going to top it with the composers they have now. I shouldn't say that, it's not really their fault. Really great horror scores are rare the past 13+ years. The 90's was so fixated on orchestral and industrial-orchestral, I was hoping that would take a hike in the new-millennium. Speaking of Christopher Young, he did one of my favorite 90's scores: Tales from the Hood (CRIMINALLY underrated movie, nobody even talks about the score which thinking about now gives me serious chills). But I really miss the wild experimentation in the 70's and early 80's. Especially Goblin's scores, and the scores for Phantasm, The Evil Dead, Creepshow, Day of the Dead, Martin.

9. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I think that is why these remakes don't do so well is cause they are trying to hard top the original which is to be honest impossible cause it's like trying to catch lightening in a bottle. There's just a magic these movies have that makes them special & unfortunately you can replicate that no matter if you're a fan or just looking to cash in.

10. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

I think you forgot or confused the scene of Julia fucking with the best musicalized scene in horror ever: Frank's resurrection. Check it out in youtube, it most be there somewhere.

Thanks for the Tales from the Hood tip, I'll check it out.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

Oh, the DVD is hopelessly out of print (and I don't think the score was ever released on CD- though it REALLY should have been / Savoy - same company who did Hood - released Basil Poledouris's score from John Waters' Serial Mom on CD). It should still be on Netflix: Instant though.

As for Hellraiser, I watched that scene (the resurrection) just 3 weeks ago and liked it better than I usually do. But I'm still sticking with Frank and Julia's tryst as the absolute best moment for the score in the movie. It didn't even need special effects, it was all emotion and freezing cold passion- which I almost felt even though I didn't find either one of them to be that attractive.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I totally agree. Hellraiser is easily one of my top 3 musical scores, ever. I actually own it on 2 CD's, and it gets constant play. It's simply beautiful sonic perfection. In nearly 25 years since its release, I have yet to hear another score that has moved me as deeply.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

I downloaded several pieces of the score years ago and I still say it's remarkably overrated.

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

As this film looks shaky at best to ever be made, Todd Farmer gave up some aborted cenobite designs. Of all of these I actually really like the Pinhead one. The others, meh...

From shocktillyoudrop.com:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

As long as the Chatterer is well represented and Pinhead doesn't look like an offensive lineman from Washington State (like the last entry), I'm interested.

16. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Mr. Barker just posted this on facebook about 20 minutes ago:

HOT FROM HELL! My friends,I have some news which may be of interest to you. A few weeks ago I had a very productive meeting with Bob Weinstein of Dimension Pictures,in the course of which I pitched a remake of the first HELLRAISER film. The idea of my coming back to the original film and telling the story with a fresh intensity-honoring the structure and the designs from the first incarnation but hopefully creating an even darker and richer film-was attractive to Dimension. Today I have officially been invited to write the script based upon that pitch.What can I tell you about it?Well, it will not be a film awash with CGI. I remain as passionate about the power of practical make-up effects as I was when I wrote and directed the first HELLRAISER. Of course the best make-up in the world loses force if not inhabited by a first-rate actor. I told the Dimension team that in my opinion there could never be a Pinhead without Doug Bradley,and much to my delight Bob Weinstein agreed. So once the papers are signed , I will open a Lemarchand Configuration,dip my quill in its contents and start writing . I promise that there will be nowhere on the Internet where the news of my progress will be more reliable than here ,because the only author of these reports will be Your Infernal Corespondent ,me. My very best wishes to you
    all,my friends.
    Clive.

17. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Cenobites forgive me, but at this point I honestly can no longer agree. Doug Bradley is pushing 60. The above statement was true, but at this point I can't help but think passing the torch is the better plan. It would have to be someone with a similar level of reserved, dignified presence - not a ranting or camera mugging ham. But someone fresh, younger, more able to fit what I'd expect in the role.

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

If they really do remake this, they'll have to do an almost supernatural job of topping the original in key areas.

I just can't see them topping the original music score by Christopher Young for example. They'll really need to hire a truly talented composer to even come close.

And if they shoot it on digital as opposed to film, they're going to need a great DOP to light it. The original had a great dark and brooding mood and atmosphere to the cinematography, and you just rarely see films shot on digital looking that great in dark scenes...unless it's color graded really well to the T.

And if Weinstein and Dimension do eventually produce this, I wouldn't even hold much hope. That last sequel they made was friggin' terrible...and had the budget of a TV commercial. Not that the previous sequels to that were masterpieces by any definition, but they looked like true masterpieces in comparison to that one!

19. Jack_Burton

Jack_Burton New Member

Excellent news. With Barker writing and Bradley returning, I'm there. But I'm not gonna get my hopes up until it's official.

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

No. Just...no.