Haute Tension (2003) VS Inside (2007)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Jul 21, 2008.

?

French Madness

1. Haute Tension (2003)

79.3%
  2. Inside (2007)

20.7%
  1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I don't know who you are talking about, other then the second cop, and maybe the doctor. The first cop, the perp, and the mother all acted how they should. And the doctor I think just wasn't sure what was going on, hence why he didn't react any differently. As for the second cop going to turn on the lights, yes, that was a pretty stupid movie. But I take it that he was a younger rookie cop who didn't know how to handle the situation, so he reacted badly. There are a lot of real life cops who do more stupid things in crisis's. Either way, it didn't really take me out of the film, and I was still rooting for
    the pregnant woman to survive.

2. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

All of the cops screwed up, almost from the moment they arrived, and in ways that were jaw droppingly against expected training or intelligent thought - and I've read and heard from actual cops that have stated such in regards to the film.

First off, each of them entered a crime scene showing ample evidence of assault or homicide, *and yet made no efforts to secure the area before relaxing their guard*. This is practically rule #1 in police training - you don't move to assist the victim (especially if you're not even certain who the victim actually is), you do not put away your weapon, you do not turn your back to any open room until *the entire area is secure*. Yet these cops did all of that - the second knowing his partner's fate was ample evidence the area was not secure.

Second, neither of them called for backup before entering the scene. Didn't even report in on their pending entrance into the home on suspicious circumstances. The second cop even had suspicion that the situation had escalated and would require such. Again, this is another standard police procedure, the kind that not following is grounds for an official reprimand.

Lastly, the second cop actually dragged a perp from one crime into the scene of another unrelated and potentially ongoing crime. This brings a whole new level of stupidity, liability, crime scene contamination, situation distraction potential, etc etc. It was practically off the map for stupidity. A cop that pulled that stunt in the real world would usually be collecting his final pay check in short order, and for very good reason.

As for the mom, even as the hints became clear evidence that the psycho woman had no place being in the home and was acting deceitful, she clearly dropped her guard in the face of someone that any rational person would assume had a very real potential for violence. I would expect a mother who found an intruder in her child's home and suspected foul play related to her child to be far more distrusting, far more on guard, and very quick to take assertive and preventative action. Not "I'll assume you'll stay downstairs and won't do anything while I turn my back on you and see what that strange noise upstairs is".

There could be some argument that doctor was on site for too short of a time to be expected to get a clue so quick, even so the carnage was evident enough that a more rational flight response would be expected. In absence of the other dumb victim moves it wouldn't have been a problem, with them (*especially* the cops) it was yet another straw on the overloaded camel.

3. BoredSeal

BoredSeal New Member

I vote for HT, one of my favorite horror for this century :)

I donĀ“t conside Inside as good movie at all. Inside is ordinary violent shocker, everything there is created just to produce another violent scene/kill, characters have no psychology/deep, they act stupid only to fall in trap and die in most possible violent death. I refuse to celebrate some average movie with ultra violence only because authors had balls to hurt pregnant woman and her born/unborn child. This is not good movie, sorry. :)

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

LOL! Did they? I only vaguely remember that. And I kinda liked it too. That's not in Phantom of the Opera right?

Overall High Tension was decent enough, but I don't even own the DVD though (that kinda says a lot). I haven't seen Inside yet so I won't vote.

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Those cops you were talking too need to get off their high horse. Take a look at almost any serial killer case in history and you will see some major procedural blunders before they finally were arrested. I also have a good friend that is not only a cop he is a detective and he loved the movie.

I think you need to take into account the machismo factor. Remember it was One woman they needed to call backup and get "help" subduing. They may not have thought the situation was serious enough to risk the possibly ridicule they would have gotten from buddies back at the station.

I agree that can't be normal procedure. I'm sure dumber things have happened. I really don't know what the procedure is for leaving a someone in a cop car by them self in France is. I'm sure they didn't make up that leash thing the cop attached that guy to. They must use it for something over there.

The Mother didn't care what that lady did while she was upstairs nor did she necessarily see her as a treat, she just wanted to make sure her daughter was OK because she didn't know the lady. That was her first instinct. It's not like she was a Cop and needed to secure the scene.

Your way over thinking it, just sit back and enjoy the mayhem on screen. I've seen tons of crappy horror films with nice neat plots. That doesn't make them good.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

OJ Simpson, nuff said.

But really guys, relax, it's a really fun suspenseful gore filled horror film. Again, people analyze horror movies to death these days but ignore all the faults from all the horror films in the past 30 years that they consider masterpieces. There are a couple of questionable things in High Tension as well, that can only be explained as she is lying with her interpretation, doesn't stop me from loving the hell out of that film!

Every film that comes out, "It was horrible, because while cooking chicken the stove wouldn't be on 400 it would be 350, to make that much blood spill out you would need to stab in a counter clockwise motion not clockwise, the light from the lamp in the corner wouldn't light the room up that much, it would be 2/3rds less", blah blah blah.

What happened to horror fans just enjoying horror films. They were never meant to be Oscar winners, they were meant to be fun movies that thrilled us, or scared the shit out of us. I think a lot of fans need to stop watching horror films as they have obviously grown out of them and stick to movies like Milk or any of the hundred Oscar nominated Kate Winslet movies.

7. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

The thing is, some horror movies today take themselves far too seriously. Like Inside, which many have called "art house" and whatnot. A lot of the flawed films you speak of from 30 or whenever years ago are still loved and defended because they were simple thrill machines with no high aspirations. As soon as a horror film turns philosophical, artsy and "important", it better have good reason for it. That's why these films get torn to pieces by some of us. Because they are infuriatingly pretentious.

8. High Tension, mon amies :D

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Don't know about arthouse, but it is a very well made film in every regard, minus a couple minor flaws in the script. Seems like every horror site reviewer loved it. As for your comment about movies these days taking themselves too seriously, I couldn't disagree more. Maybe some do, but there are still plenty that don't that still get ripped upon even though they are as good if not better then most of the cheese that we all love.