Happy Birthday to Me/When a Stranger Calls 1979 blu-ray double feature!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Dec 26, 2012.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

ok just compared birthday to the 2004 dvd and yes.. there is a diffrence. i can see it now..

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Really? I am a big fan of the film. The big reveal at the end is very suspenseful in my opinion. Thanks to Bigdaddyhorse, I'll be enjoying the terrific transfer in a few days. I can't wait! :)

3. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Found them at mine.

I'd actually never watched When A Stranger Calls before. I thought it was decent enough. I've never seen Carol Kane in a non-comedy before, so that was interesting. Also cool to hear the THX sound towards the end of the movie. I did think the mom in the beginning (who I think was also in Girls Nite Out) was pretty bad. Her line readings were awkward and she seemed to flub a few lines too. Once she left I thought the movie was pretty good though.

But really, why the hell didn't the babysitter check on the children? For her sake it's good she didn't since that dude was up there waiting for her. But really, even after several weird calls she didn't even think about checking on them? I've watched a young child before, and even with no odd phone calls I at least checked in on the kid a couple of times to make sure she was still alive. Takes like 10 seconds.

By the way, make sure you turn the sound down if you keep the disc going all through the end credits because the Mill Creek logo at the end is absurdly loud. I had the volume up to about 50, which was fine for the movie, but once that logo came up it almost knocked me back through the wall.

4. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Everyone on this forum suddenly has a hard on millcreek. Surprised these didn't end up in the germ infested bins eeeeK!! I've had mine for 2 weeks watched it till Xmas night(morbid). Had no idea the folks on here would be losing their minds over this release.

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

It's a perfect storm of titles we didn't expect to see, no notice or warning, they just started popping up, one beloved classic slasher we never thought would be on BD and another good flick (depending on your tastes) all for a cheap ass price and with quality reviews which are all good. Of course it's gonna ring the apeshit alarm!:D No hard-on for MC yet, but I do have a semi-chub from this wave of stuff.;)

6. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

Has anyone in Canada seen these yet? I know all the Walmarts here have first batch (Hostel 1&2, etc)... but none of the new ones.

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

No sign of them in Montreal. Bear in mind in Quebec it may be a ban because of the lack of inclusion of a french language track-can anyone confirm if one of these is included?
    In any regard, I will be in Ontario this weekend and will check there.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  8. highclassrob

highclassrob Member

Anyone find any in the CT area? I've struck out at every walmart so far.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That would be a negative. I've checked four of them myself with no luck. Bigdaddyhorse was able to hook me up thankfully.

10. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Can't find them around here.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Same situation that I've seen so far...

12. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Just went to one in Norwalk, CT and spoke to a person in charge of these kinds of displays. He knew exactly which one I was speaking of and stated they were still in transit or just not out on display yet in the majority of the stores. According to him, by mid-next week they should be everywhere assuming they made it each store.

13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Do you think they'll have them for sale on their website?

14. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I have no idea. Who's knows how much truth there is to what this guy told me too. He did seem pretty informatively precise, I'll give him that. I personally think I'm just going to have someone here grab me one and be done with it though. Running in and out of Walmart digging through shit is not all that fun :)

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I can't wait to score this - funny how BOTH films were paired up at drive-ins when "Birthday" was released in '81. ;)

16. highclassrob

highclassrob Member

Found them in CT at the Walmart along I-91 in Rocky Hill. Display was hidden by a pallet of paper towels not far from the dvd section. Also has 4 packs in the dig bin, which I may go back for.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Struck out at two different Wal-Marts so far. Maybe the third time will be the charm this weekend?

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

That makes this set brilliant in that aspect, a true double feature from the drive-in days! Are you sure it was paired with a film 2 years older though? I was too young to recall, and lived too far from a drive-in to get ads when I was that age anyway.

My store is down to 2 copies, and by my math, I'm the only one who bought any. They started with 10, I've mailed 5, kept one and have 2 pending. I love that they just keep them for me, and I go get em as people request. Wonder how long it will take to get a new rack in here, nothing else is moving from it, nothing! There's 8-10 copies of every other set, and the ones that are down to 8, I got a copy for others of, along with the Birthday set.:) Methinks Wally or Milly should put me on the payroll.:D:nervous:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It's not unlikely. This was before the days of VHS, so for some of these films, the only way to see them was in theaters.

20. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I ordered it from this site: http://www.bluraysforeveryone.com/

I've never dealt with them before, but they offered it a lot cheaper than the Ebay sellers willing to shipping to Europe.

Happy Birthday to Me was never one of my favourite slashers - perhaps because it lacks a thrilling final chase. But I'll gladly revisit it on blu. When a Stranger Calls, however, is a must own. The opening sequence is iconic horror, and the overall structure of the movie is bold.