Halloween time - stores carrying horror dvds

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Halloween DVD sales have been a massive disappointment for years, I think the last time I remember finding good stuff was in 2007. I remember getting the Universal Legacy sets for under ten bucks each at Walmart and a ton of great Lions Gate stuff like "Martin" for $2 at Zellers (RIP).

Now? Nothing.

2. Drinkinstein

Drinkinstein Member

I can't help but think that's because they've been putting out the SAME stock every year since 2007. The majority of people who were ever going to buy those flicks have had them for years!

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

My Best Buy is among the worst in terms of selection, but I did notice a lot of "old classics" re-appear on blu-ray in the small horror section. They now have 3-6 copies each of Hills Have Eyes (Aja redo), Misery, I Spit on Your Grave (original solo disc, and the double pack with redo is back), Child's Play and a few others. Nothing to write home about, but a step in the right direction. They also had 5 copies of Halloween 35, but only on the new release stand up front (discs have moved to far side). Looked like dozens of copies of Spit 2.

They were setting up an endcap of Halloween stuff at Meijers yesterday, but it was in progress and only Constantine and Creepshow were represented on blu when I was there. I did ask the guy if it was a Halloween assortment and he said "yeah". We'll see what they really have later or tomorrow.

4. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

None of the stores this year seem to have any Halloween sections.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

There was one at the Wal-Mart here when I was there this past weekend. Nothing too great though, mostly lame Lionsgate horror titles, etc..

6. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I found The Mist 2 disc Blu Ray at Big Lots for only $5 about 6 weeks ago. Bar code was slashed, but for that price, I didn't mind.

7. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Walmart always has a horror section nothing new. However as of right now there is no Halloween display section.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Far be it for me to defend Best Buy, but is it a case of them phasing out media, or consumers phasing out media? Everything nowadays is Netflix streaming, Hulu, etc. Sure, those of us on this board still collect movies, but we're the minority.

Not to mention, when was the last time you saw a movie or CD in a store, but Amazon wasn't like 20% cheaper?

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Best Buy's website has free shipping with no minimum, so I order from them about as much as I do Amazon.

As for their stores, I go in there maybe once every month or two? Used to go in there weekly when they would carry Anchor Bay / Blue Underground / Media Blasters in their heyday.

10. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

11. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

For any Canadians, Loblaws (Atlantic Superstore here) has a cardboard display of Halloween movies. One side is kids movies, one side is dvds (mostly $8), and one side is mostly blurays ($10). I can't remember all the blurays, but there was a pretty good variety.. Exorcist, Trick r Treat, American Werewolf in Paris, Halloween II (Universal), Nightmare on Elm Street (original and remake), The Shining, Pet Semetary Two, Lost Boys, Final Destination, Halloween 6/7/8, Poltergeist.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I couldn't find anything at Wal-Mart tonight. Hardly even a movie section at all! The blus are now mixed in with the DVDs and there are hardly any left. Depressing. :(

13. Mr.G

Mr.G Member

Physical media is dying a slow death. Too bad; I dread the day of digital only.

14. Franco

Franco Weekender

I feel the same, and I think it's mostly generational. Do today's kids/teens appreciate physical media for example or just don't care? Do you know about this? How is this "feeling" developing in the US or other first-worldish countries?

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

There is at this store. It's a special section where they always put seasonal promotions, like Valentine's Day (Romance), etc... Right now they have all new Horror titles in that section.

16. Mr.G

Mr.G Member

Not to get on my 'old man box' but the younger generation has a disposable opinion towards all things electronic and I can understand why the appreciation for physical media isn't there for them. Think about Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, DVR, etc. and how quickly media evolves. I grew up in the early 1980's when the VCR was introduced...and that media lasted up until what the mid 2000's? Laser Discs were great but expensive and DVD was a giant leap but was quickly replaced with blu ray. The time between technology's next big thing keeps shrinking. Add the crummy economy for 16-24 years olds adding to not having disposable income...one can see why they prefer to download.

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Never happen. There will always be a niche audience for physical media. They may certainly go up in price (look at the cost of new vinyl versus what an LP was 15 years ago) but people will gladly pay the extra to get their fix.

18. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

Amen to that brother, I will always have to have my physical copy to hold and proudly display on my shelf. I miss the the old days of the Mom and Pop video stores. Damn kids don't know what they're missing :(

19. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

While I agree with that to a degree, there's no way the mom & pop stores can compete with what's on DVD, Netflix and Youtube. Every rare horror movie you can think of is easily a click away and I think that's the greatest gift fans could ever get. If this was 1983, they'd envy us so much.

20. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member