Halloween Drinks

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Oct 19, 2018.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I've been putting off trying the best beers. I have a feeling I'm not a beer person. No where close to Brett Kavanaugh which I still get a laugh out of. I guess that's why I'm curious about the pumpkin taste.

I'm going to write a review of a movie I just saw. But it has a October Halloween beer that they don't make anymore I think. Let me search around a bit more then I'll post it here.

2. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

We always try to get a “Halloween” beer in the fermenter around this time of year but as per usual our “Halloween” homebrew is brewed too late and won't be ready until after Halloween. We did an Irish stout and added 3 extra lbs of DME to boost the ABV a bit and then a bit of cocoa powder, pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice. Cocoa Pumpkin Irish Stout, potential ABV: 8.4%. Hopefully we hit at least 7% on the final ABV!

[​IMG]

othervoice1 and Katatonia like this.
  3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Now that we have that Labor Day bullshit outta the way, it's time to indulge in some pumpkin spice beer. Got me a six pack of Dogfish Head Punkin Ale last week. A brown ale with pumpkin spice, cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg. I'm a big fan of DFH and their many IPA's and this one didn't disappoint. It's quite tasty.

[​IMG]

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  5. ImmortalSlasher

Good bottle illustration.

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale.jpg

Colin likes this.
  6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I haven't done any direct comparisons, and I don't really plan to, but Pumking Nitro does seem a bit better than my recollection of Pumking from 2019. I have a feeling the difference is mainly down to the mouthfeel, but the difference seems significant.

I've not previously had a Nitro beer, so I was taken aback, a bit, that the can sounds a bit different when you crack it open, like there's a whoosh in addition to the cracking sound.

7. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I'm actually also very curious to see how this compares to the non-nitro Pumking but I like this better and, like you, assume the difference is mostly mouthfeel just like it was with the one other beer I've had nitro and non-nitro versions of so I'm not inclined to spend money picking the regular one up. Actually bought a few more of these and think I'll put a can or two aside for Halloween. I've looked into how nitro beers "work" and from what I can gather the WHOOSH sound you hear is the small, nitrogen filled capsule affixed to the bottom of the can opening up, releasing the nitrogen, and sucking beer through itself; it's similar to the free floating widget in things like Guiness and Boddington's Pub Ale but glued to the bottom really well. I tried but can't get it to come off.

[​IMG]

zbinks likes this.
  8. ImmortalSlasher

That's the inside bottom of the beer can?

9. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Yep, I wanted to see one up close so I cut the can open.

zbinks likes this.
  10. ImmortalSlasher

I've never seen anything like that before. Where are the openings where the gas comes out? And is something attached to the top of the can when you open it? I'll search around.

11. ImmortalSlasher

Interesting. They have a coffee version and explain the can.

f.ramses likes this.
  12. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

That's pretty cool, I've been wondering for a while how they keep the widget charged while the can is being filled and now that I see how it's charged after filling and sealing it makes it seem like I might possibly be able to nitrogenate some of my homebrew bottles someday. I kind of doubt it but it seems technically possible if the right things were available...

13. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I'd been eyeing this Lakefront pumpkin lager since I don't think I've ever seen a pumpkin lager before, only ales, and grabbed the 6 pack when I saw they only had one left today. It's a bit heavier on the spices than I like and also seems to be on the sweeter side, but it's not bad. The taste is not much different than a lot of the pumpkin ales I've had but it does also have that clean, crisp taste and feel that I associate with lagers; that and the lower carbonation really seem to work for a pumpkin beer.

[​IMG]

14. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Was pretty happy to see Paranormal back on the shelves the other week, I started to think about it back in September and realized that it might just be my favorite pumpkin ale! Watch it never be available again... lol
    I notice that the art on the can is now a plastic wrap with lighter colors (left), last year it was printed directly on the can darker (right). I actually thought that cans with these or sticker labels were done to save money and that you'd ultimately want to move to a printed can but then someone was telling me that the new plastic wrap ones are done that way to make them easier to recycle since the wrap can be easily cut off.

[​IMG]

15. ImmortalSlasher

I know many plastic bottles with wrappings have a note that say remove before recycling. You would think it would cost less to do a printed can than to have to get the materials to wrap around a can.

f.ramses likes this.
  16. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I didn't realize that I was supposed to cut them off myself but funnily enough I actually do cut them off, I know someone who collects beer caps and labels. I give them the caps from all my bottles if they're not blanks, any time I get a wrapped can I cut the wrap off and give it to them, and any time I get a stickered can I give them the empty so they can remove the sticker (printed cans get recycled...). They trade these things with people all over the world, one time they had someone they were trading with in Brazil get me a BD because they didn't have anything else they wanted. lol