Greek Dawn Of The Dead

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by BlazingMagnum, Jan 14, 2002.

1. I managed to catch a Greek tape of Dawn, and the distributers had re-edited the movie so that the Army scenes, & the bits where the red-necks blast the zombies were cut in at the end of the movie - making it look like the army had taken care of the problem. This bizarre activity seemed to be intended to remove the bleak end-of-the-world type climax.
    Has anybody else managed to catch this version?

2. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

i'm still on the lookout for the japanese tv version with the UFO footage at the begining, apparently it was an attempt to give an explanation for the dead rising!

(this is based on total hearsay and rumor, i haven't seen the footage myself)

3. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

I've heard something along those lines myself. I was told that there is a written explanation of the "UFO Theory" that's displayed before the film starts. Never heard of any footage of a UFO inserted, but then again, my info is just hearsay and or rumor, so I can't back that up with paperwork, so to speak.

4. Trout

Trout Guest

Was there ever a scene where Peter takes a bubble bath in one of the mall fountains? I'm sure I heard that somewhere.

5. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I doubt it, but that would be high-larious!

6. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Well, this is weird

You must refer to a bootleg, cause Dawn Of The Dead was never officially released here in Greece. However, I get to see the greek print of the film each summer and I can surely tell you that it is 100% identical with the italian one which I own. Meaning that there is Goblin musib, that it is edited and a bit faster, shorter than the Romero cut, with the bit with the helicopter's blade chopping the upper half of a zombie's head missing.

strange...:confused:

7. Strange Indeed!

I'm well aware of the Italian version - I have the long directors version, the Italian version & the theatrical version - probably just like anybody else here - but I'm sure this was a Greek videocassette, with a green border around the sleeve & the shot of three zombies; the woman in the foreground with her arm in the air - walking towards the camera.
    Perhaps it was a bootleg, but it must have been a good one because it had a sleeve, sticker & rental stickers on the box.

Maybe it was from another territory altogether & I've got the tape's origins wrong. I guess you'd know what's available & what's not.

8. The Chaostar

Blazingmagnum I am REALLY interested in this!
    can you ppppppppplease send me a scan of the tape in my e-mail (akis@darkdreams.org)? It would be great.

However, when I say that there is no greek release for that film it means that I surely know that the film company that owned the rights in greece never sold them for video use. In other words, the film was never OFFICIALLY released here and I have never seen a copy of it anywhere in Greece and I have been searching for obscure titles (such as THRILLER, HILLS HAVE EYES or JUNGLE HOLOCAUST which I own) for more than ten years, so this must be something!:)

9. Hi Chaoster,

that tape was part of a collection my buddy has been selling for the past few years - it'd be a miracle if he still has it, but I'll do my best. If I can get my hands on it again - i'll not only send you a scan of the cover - but a copy of the movie too. But don't hold your breath because I'd imagine it was sold a long time ago.

10. The Chaostar

Thanx for bothering to answer Blazemagnum!

11. I'll check it out today Chaoster.

12. tasos

tasos New Member

Never heard of it.....Dawn was never released in Greece in VHS format .