Ghosts of Mars dvd

Discussion in 'General' started by killit, Nov 30, 2001.

1. killit

killit Active Member

I really loved Ghosts of Mars, and I really liked the teasers and trailers. The dvd will apparently be without any of this. Does anyone know why? Right's issues or something?

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah that is rather odd...But I blame the horrible box office performance on the trailers though. I personally liked them, but I know most of the people on this forum and almost everyone else I talked to thought they were just horrible.

Who needs trailers though when you have a Carpenter commentary (with the lovely Ms. Henstridge to boot)!

3. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

The video store I work at has had this on our shelves for over 2 weeks now, and no one has bought it. Funny, considering it doesnt come out until Dec. 4. It looked like shit, but it is Carpenter and I'm still going to have to get it, just to keep the Carpenter collection alive.

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

This is definitely one of Carpenter's best films of the last 12 years or so. I don't know why it gets all the negative press that it has gotten. Ebert likes it, DVDfile likes it, so you all should too! :D

5. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I just saw it yesterday, because I get to rent them a week or so before they come out, and it was bad ass. I don't really like John Carpenter, don't ask me why. But I really enjoyed this one. At first it didn't look too good, because Ice Cube was acting kinda bad in his first 10 minutes, but he eventually got better, as did the movie. It was really violent, which was very nice to see. I couldn't even count the decapitated heads in it. I remember the DVd was supposed to be a SE. I wonder what happened? I mean nobody liked Joe Dirt (except for me) and it got a SE. Well it doesnt say SE anywhere on it, but 2 commentaries and several deleted scenes is good enough for me to declare it one.

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

2 Commentaries and Deleted Scenes?! You must be mistaken, there is only one commentary and then a couple featurettes, but I am glad you liked it! :)

7. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

No I was talking about Joe Dirt having 2 commentaries and deleted scenes, while being a movie that did rather poor. I just heard that Ghosts of Mars was a SE a few months back, I think from dvdangle or digitallyobsessed. I guess they were wrong.

8. hassan chaup

hassan chaup Guest

Ghosts blew festering chunks!

You folks are NUTS. This movie blew the ass out of Carpenters already lagging career. Assault on Precinct Thirteen has chunks of flicks like this in it's stool!This film was totally uninspired dreck. For Carpenter to go from such brilliant heights to such a low point is shameful. This was almost as bad as his Village remake (anyone remember that turd?) The enthusiasm he had about this project in the early p.r. actually made me think that this held some promise but what a godawful friggin letdown this crap was. Shame JC shame!:mad: :confused: :(

9. Django

Django Guest

The first trailer is available on The Forsaken DVD I believe.

Which makes things even stranger...

10. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Re: Ghosts blew festering chunks!

Sure it's not as good as perhaps The Thing or Assualt but I enjoyed anyway. Whatever you say about Carpenter you can't say he makes movies he doesn't wan't to, and it was refreshing to see a Carpenter movie in a sea of teen horror flicks( like the dismal Jeepers Creepers) that have thanfuly died down a little since the horror parody Scream. By the way, does anyone here know if Carpenter has a new project underway?

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

Carpenter has been quoted in interviews saying he is going to return to his roots and make a low-budget scare-fest a la Halloween. Sounds VERY promising, and this could be the movie he needs to get people respecting his great films again.

12. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

I have not seen the movie, but I kinda know it will be enjoyable, although not John's best work.

I think he works better with smaller budgets to mediumish, that way he can profitable even its not the biggest sucess ever, and keep on making films, Big Trouble in Little China budget is where he can draw the line of not needing big action budgets, great film.

13. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

I liked it for what it was - I see it as a kind of film in the same category (if not quite in the same class) as Pitch Black.

A couple of hours of fun, check your brain at the door, enjoy the ride.

I don't think it is nearly up to the standards up Carpenter's best stuff (Halloween and The Thing to my way of thinking) but it's not too-too far from They Live and a bit better than Vampire$ IMHO.

So I'm buying the disc. I've been looking forward to it. And although I love trailers, frankly, I can't remember the trailer for GOM. So maybe I won't miss it.

14. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

GHOSTS OF MARS DVD arrived in the post yesterday, never seen the film before but it is John Carpenter and that is enough for me. This film rocked, very enjoyable and a strong storyline. Loved it from start to finish, the DVD extras are nothing special but you have to love that commentary, some very funny moments and plenty of behind the scenes stories, it starts out a bit patchy but stay with it, Carpenter and Henstridge make a fine double act - and like Carpenter points out Henstridge has got big ears that stick out :D .

15. Jason Reynolds

Jason Reynolds New Member

I agree it's no where near Carpenter's best work, but it's still good.

I'm picking it up at Best Buy today.

-Jason

16. jeffschmidt

jeffschmidt Guest

Sure, it's not Halloween, but Ghosts of Mars was a fun flick. It's definitely more the type of movie I want to see than another bloodless, gore-less Scream clone. Plus, Ice Cube is the shit!

Side note for the Jeepers Creepers haters - I don't see at all how JC could be considered trendy, teeny-bopper horror; it was genuinely good :D But that's just my opinion, & you know what they say about opinions...

17. meshuga

meshuga Guest

This was the worst film John Carpenter ever made.

I could go into the crap that was called, Ghosts of Mars, but I'll save you the pain.

18. killit

killit Active Member

You have a quote from the film Lord of Illusions in your signature.

19. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Just got the dvd and watched it last night. I didn't know what to think when I saw it in the theater, but really dug it on second viewing, so much I watched it again with commentary (great comm. track, I love how they fuck with each other). The featurettes are kinda week thou, and it sucks the trailers and outtakes didn't make it (Carpenter was talking about deleted scenes and outtakes in the comm., even stating the outtakes will be on the dvd.. what happened?)

20. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Finally checked out GOM last night. I waited to get it at a sale price:)

I have to say I really enjoyed most of it. I thought Carpenter overused the dissolves a bit. I liked them at first, but they became tedious.
    It was great to see the violence, and a film that doesn't really on stupid CGI effects. It was old-fashioned and reminded me of early Carpenter films as well as stuff like THE WARRIORS and SWITCHBLADE SISTERS. Little bit of DAWN OF THE DEAD in there too. It had that sense of fun. I loved the look of Mars.

However, the ending just didn't feel right. I wanted something more. I was surprised when it was over, and maybe I'll need to watch it again. I didn't like Ice Cube. I thought this was one of his worst performances, and he's not a great actor to begin with.

There wasn't a real standout scene or performance which kind of pulls it down a little. I liked how occasionally the "martians" would just turn and spot their targets. The distance made it a bit eerie like Michael spotting Laurie in Halloween.

I recently watched CHRISTINE again, and I was blown away by how well-acted the film was. It had a great score (I wasn't too impressed with the one in GOM) and many memorable scenes. It certainly made me feel that Carpenter has fallen a bit.

However, I do think GOM is probably his best since THEY LIVE. And for him to do something ultra-low budget is a certain step in the right direction. Count Carpenter down, but not out.