Ghostbusters (2016)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Mar 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

If they remade Ghostbusters and cast another all-male team, do you think there would be this uproar? Of course not. Yet, that would be a conscious choice as well. Why wouldn't that be as egregious a disservice?

What agenda do you think an all-female GB cast is trying to push, specifically? That it's OK for a woman to fight ghosts? That it's OK for women to band together, say one-liners, and save the world? That it's OK for women to lead a film? Again, what disservice is being done to the GB franchise with this casting?

Mok likes this.
  2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I'm not watching the trailer again for this, but doesn't melissa mccarthy crowd surf? If the concern from the crowd was weight then surely there would be 2 of them on the floor?

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  3. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

That's a good point. People are pissed when they reboot anything these days.

I thought that was plainly obvious. The usual "girl power" thing. Girls can do anything guys can do. In this case: Be as funny and endearing as the original cast. On a deeper level I guess you could point out the SNL connection, that women have become more prominent cast members in recent years, and them leading this film is a declaration of that. In some ways it's implying they are on the same level of comedic genius as those guys, which in and of itself could put people off. It's all debatable of course but it's like when Bruce Lee died, there was a dozen different dudes that were supposed to be the next "Bruce Lee"! You can certainly appreciate how that might be offensive to Bruce Lee fans?

"You never studied" ;) When people feel that they are being preached to, they get annoyed. Regardless of whether or not they agree. It's something that has to be tolerated before you can just appreciate the film. That is the disservice.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It comes down to conscious decision. Did Dan Ackroyd and Ivan Reitman make a consciously sexist decision that no women should be allowed to be a Ghostbuster in the original film? Unlikely. I doubt that it even crossed their mind. Did Paul Feig and Katie Dippold make a conscious decision in the reboot to not allow any men to be cast as Ghostbusters in the reboot? Definitely, unmistakenly yes. For good or bad, this film DOES have an agenda that the original didn't in making sex the ultimate prerequisite in primary casting.

Buechlers_beard and Mok like this.
  5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

They could of just done Ghostbusters 3 with three original members and had that Kate Mckinnon be Egon's daughter as a replacement for Harold Ramis.

But that obviously would have been too easy, besides what would they have done with all that box office profit anyways? It's good because they way they have it now they don't have to deal with all that pesky revenue and happy audiences.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I think I would have had a problem with that. The dynamic of those four actors is the heart of those films. Who knows if this reboot will carry over that same chemistry.

7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I went ahead and rewatched the 2nd trailer. This time I wiped my mind clean and pretended this is the first Ghostbusters ever. The 1984 didn't exist.

It still looks awful (especially the CGI) but I love all the merch coming out (especially Ecto Cooler coming out May 30th)

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I'll go ahead and admit that the original came out when I was 12 years old. I thought it was pretty good. As the years went by I grew to appreciate it more because of the amazing cast and all of the other work they had done, but I never understood why this is considered as great a classic as it is.

Having said that, this looks like sexist bullshit. :D

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Because it has great characters and character interaction, terrific score, great fx and good comedy.

The comedy in the new film seems pretty forced from what I've seen and that's a big issue for me.

buck135 likes this.
  10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The film just hit on all cylinders at the right time. The special effects, Elmer Bernstein's terrific score, the subtleties with the script (Twinkie, "Get her!," "Yes have some," "Dogs and cats living together," etc) and the title song, which was a complete rip off of Huey Lewis' "I Wanna New Drug." I wonder how the film would have been had if John Belushi was still alive. The dynamic would have been completely different. This reboot hopefully won't fall into the same trap the the Vacation reboot did. Forced jokes and a soulless script.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

God, that Vacation reboot was just beyond terrible. Nothing like the original comedy wise which was a massive misstep. It was cringe enducing from beginning to end which doesn't count as comedy to me and made it feel more like garbage, except in this case garbage is probably better.

buck135 likes this.
  12. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/20/new-uk-ghostbusters-trailer-is-better-than-ghostbusters-2

Look, my perspective is that there is no such thing as a sacrosanct property. Remakes or reboots do nothing to the original movie. I love the original Ghostbusters. Adore it. Lightning in a bottle (proven demonstrably by the vastly inferior sequel--which always makes me wonder why fans had such a hard-on for the same team coming back for a third one).

As a Ghostbusters fan, the ladies and their director have my blessing. I hope it's funny. That's about the extent of my emotional involvement/response to the new movie.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

My expectations for every remake / reboot start at 0%. I joined this board in 2007 and I've been bitching about them since the start. If I'd been here in 2003 when TCM was redone, you would have seen anger that makes Maybrick on the Evil Dead redo look like a lovefest.

The only thing in this new trailer that does nothing for me are Leslie Jones' lines (and remember that I've already had my say on how I think this movie is racially baised toward whites months ago in this thread), and Melissa McCarthy's grunts during the fight scene. The rest of it looks inches ahead of - let's look for something this can realistically top in the modern sphere of millennial action movies - either Charlie's Angels flick. And neither I thought was outright bad.

That's fantastic enough, for my expectations having started at 0%. I think almost all trailers suck anyway.

You are very much correct. I forgot about that.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  14. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Two trailers and both were filled with forced jokes and cringe humor along with Scooby Doo level CGI. The manufactured controversy is a way for the studios to still make money off of their investment after audiences showed disinterest in the remake. The interest that the controversy has generated has seemed to outweigh most remakes/reboots/off shoots these days. There is already far more interest for this movie than when the TMNT remake was first announced.

15. DVD-fanatic-9

I didn't sit through that film, but I'm not taking your word for it.

These designs look very interesting to me and the tone of the colors on the ghosts is fucking pretty. What am I not seeing?

I don't hear anyone (besides me) complaining about The Mist's use of CGI. Don't tell me for a second anyone actually bought one thing that the techies behind that disaster "conjured" in the lab. That is a vastly worse usage of CGI- pretending to scare audiences. I say pretending because, again, if anyone bought a single frame of the CGI in that movie as believable, they are out of their minds. Is the Harry Potter series a horror franchise too now?

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The CGI in The Mist is very weak, however the film was never supposed to be shown in color. I wonder if the budget for special effects was was affected by this decision by Darabont before the studio demanded that it be shot in color. Regardless, that movie works best when you don't see what's in the mist.

17. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

18. BlackChristmas19742006

BlackChristmas19742006 New Member

The film we should have gotten YEARS ago.

[​IMG]

hots4 and fceurich39 like this.
  19. DVD-fanatic-9

That was a very confusing video. I thought the point was going to be to remove all the human footage from Scooby Doo and all the CGI from Ghostbusters and put the human footage from Ghostbusters together with the CGI of Scooby Doo to suggest SD's CGI was exactly the same. Now I feel like I have no idea what images are from Scooby Doo unless I recognize its cast and they're also in the same shot as the ghosts. (Also... the ghosts were never ghosts in Scooby Doo- they were always people in costumes.)

Mok likes this.
  20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Agreed. I'm not sure what they are after by mashing those up. It's very obvious and clunky.