Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection, 09/13/2013

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jun 11, 2013.

1. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

No way I can justify $99. Maybe somewhere around $50, but I'll probably only buy it if I find it used. Otherwise I'll hold out for the individual releases or a better set.

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I am just going to wait for Amazon to ship to me - I got it pre-ordered at 90.97 with no tax and free shipping - so that should be around 16 or 17 dollars cheaper than at best buy. Really not a bad price 12 movies on blu along with ultraviolet copies and a dvd of extras and a tin box housing it. Could it have been better? Sure - but I don't see a better set coming out anytime soon. I only had the first 3 on blu and the 4th on dvd and Ive already sold them so I am still pretty excited for this release and to start watching them this Friday the 13th. I am disappointed they didn't do a modern 3D update for the third one but I am curious to try my 2D-3D conversion option on my tv to see if that looks better then using the old style glasses.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

Picked up one of these today. The deleted scenes for Part 4 are in HD and they look really good, to be honest besides that there is no audio for these scenes, I see no reason that they couldn't be included, ala the My Bloody Valentine disc granted a lot of them are outtakes but still. Also the transfers and audio are fantastic.

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

robably the NO AUDIO lol or that it would be adding scenes just for the sake of adding scenes.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I was wondering myself how the 2D-3D conversion will look. It's usually hit or miss. Please let me know how it looks.

6. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

I tried the 2D->3D on my set for part three and it looked pretty darn good to me.

7. thing

thing Well-Known Member

cool, ill try that when I get it next week. I have the 2d >3d function both on my player and on my tv, which did you use?

8. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

I bought a new samsung series 8 model 1000mz etc, I used the TV

9. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Allow me to help.

10. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

This is one release you DON'T want to get used. I'm not an advocate for overpriced and incomplete sets but I imagine people are going to manhandle these things to the point where the condition of the cardboard won't be pretty, plus the outer case will likely be covered in fingerprints or, worse, nicks and dents. Wait for a sale or a price drop, buy it new.

11. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Now knowing that the Blu-Ray collection, at least for the first 8 are the Deluxe Editions, I'm now have made my decision, and I'm not going to purchase it. Can't justify the price, which for me, the first 3 are the ones that I visit the most, and I already own them on Blu-Ray, including the 3rd in 3D, and already own the Limited Edition Deluxe Edition of the first 8 with the Limited Edition Jason Mask, and I own the R/Unrated version of Jason Goes To Hell on DVD, Jason X on DVD, Freddy Vs Jason on DVD and Blu-Ray, and the Friday the 13th remake from 2009 on Blu-Ray, no point in me paying $99.00 when I would much rather use that money to go towards my 75th Anniversary Gift Set of Wizard of Oz, The Amityville Horror Collection, and Vincent Price's House of Wax 3D, including the original, all on Blu-Ray. I agree with elDomenechHDG, too expensive for my blood. Warner and Paramount blew it this time for me. This is one collection I'm NOT double dipping on. Scream Factory, I'm happy to double dip on Amityville Horror Collection, since Amityville 3 is in true 3D. Can't wait.

12. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I revisit the latter 4 films of the Paramount franchise often and love the hell out of them. But even as a fan, even if I weren't broke and was a supporter of Blu-Ray, I wouldn't purchase this set. Warner actually believes all fans are pretty crazy about those New Line films just so they can say they have The Complete Franchise. There are some folks like that (I hesitate calling them something more than enthusiastic to the point of bad judgment) but...

Yeah, no. No. No no no.

And...

No.

That price seems to reflect Warner's efforts to buy the Paramount films over more than to provide the fans with something they need. And P's logos are still all over the discs. Probably all over the films as well (which is how it should be, let Warner not force their logos on the actual original 8 films too). The New Line films prove this franchise had no reboot power, beyond gimmicks. It's a relic of the 80's (which is utterly fascinating for being that, hopefully why most of us even like it to begin with) and Paramount's sets reflected that. As does packaging the 8 original films together which is how this set should be. And let's see any studio try charging $99-100+ for that. But the studios see this franchise as the Star Wars of the horror genre. Can they possibly shoehorn the crappy new series in with the old? Yes. But in a way that definitely is suggesting Fans Will Eat Up Anything.

Even if I had the money, watch how fast I use it to support something like that.

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

12 films on Blu-ray. Bonus disc, book, etc... (I didn't own any Friday the 13th films before on Blu-Ray.)

All for $75 shipped. That's $6.25 a movie. Less expensive then buying them separately.

Seems like a decent deal to me.

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Outstanding. I'll definitely switch to the 2D-3D feature whenever I get this set.

15. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

You can get it for a final price of $75 at WBShop. $6 more than you you want, but still better than $100+

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Not that it has any baring on getting the set or not. But my 2 cents on Part 9 not being the unrated version, is that I really don't like the film. So I could care less what version it is. It's by far imo the least enjoyable film in the series. Barely any Jason and hands down has the WORST music/sounds score. Da Dat ... DA DAT! If you seen it, you know what I'm referring to. Epic Fail. Thank you New Line.

Is was as if New Line, who had Freddy rights, was deliberately trying to ruin the Friday the 13th series with this entry. It seemed as if they wanted to buy out the competition, and bury it. .... Literally (see end of film)

If the Friday the 13th Collection never came out or existed and we could only buy the Blu's singles, I would never, repeat never buy part 9 even if it was in a bin for $2. I rather buy the Freddy vs Jason Blu twice on mistake.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

They tack on about $6 in tax to my shipping address, so we're talking $81.

It showed up today in my Amazon Gold Box for 31% off at $90 (no tax), so I'm going ahead with it. The transfers for 4-7 look pretty damn amazing judging from the screenshots online. I'd just rather pay $8+ more at Amazon for the peace of mind. I've had issues with WBShop's packaging/shipping before. And anyway, it's still far cheaper than Best Buy and elsewhere.

18. thing

thing Well-Known Member

19. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

maybe if they release part 4 and 6 individual, I might bite. but naw. too much money..

20. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Childish ranking: Jason X is not that bad but it's nowhere near superior to Part II, III, VII, and VIII.

Neither is A New Beginning (which, along with Part IV - imabho, is the only substandard film in the Paramount franchise) but I do like that they thought it was good.

Oh, and... Shocker a masterpiece? This reviewer is a kid.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013