Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection, 09/13/2013

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jun 11, 2013.

1. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

As much of a fan as this guy is, he admits that he never bought the Deluxe DVD Versions of the films. The excitement he has over this bluray set's extras are because he never saw them in the Deluxe DVDs from years back.

To clarify... there are absolutely NO new extras in the bluray set. The patch is the only thing new here. Even the booklet is an abbreviation of the original Crystal Lake Memories book.

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I guess to most Blu-Ray buyers, the 2009 Deluxers were kind of an obvious cash grab.

3. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

That´s what puzzled me... A guy who has 2 VHS copies of JGTH doesn´t have the deluxe treatment of the originals.

And a bandana... :eek:

Get over it. By today syandarts, every movie is a pontentional cash grab.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

This set is obviously for newcomers to the series, which is fine. I won't be buying it unless it goes 75%+ off during the holidays. Even then, I doubt it. The DVDs are fine with me until we get a fan-oriented blu ray release.

6. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

You can buy this at WBShop for about $75 flat with coupon/free shipping. Kinda tempting for me since I never got the deluxe DVDs or 1-3 on Blu. Still got JGTH on DVD. Despite the few missing commentaries and JGTH not being uncut, it's a bit tempting at that price. Won't have money for it until a few days after release so hopefully it will stay at that price....

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

It was obvious to me that Paramount wasn't going to release all 8 movies on Blu at that time. I fully expected the 4th movie to be the last to get a release until they cobbled their own set together- about this much later.

8. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

My biggest gripe about this set is JGTH not being unrated and using the slide in method to secure the disc.If your a fan of the series then your gonna have all the special features from the past editions.I'll wait till this comes down in price for me pick it up, has anyone saw 4-8 in Hi Def anywhere? If so how did they look?

sean

9. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Still believe that would happen? What an utopian mind.
    Well, maybe on purple ray.

10. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Like I said, I am not going to keep giving Paramount (or any studio) my money. So, if they want it they know how to get it. I'm done until then.

11. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

With the new documentary coming out, are the missing commentaries really a big deal? I would imagine there's a lot of redundancy there.

I'm leaning more towards this set, as I don't have any of these movies. If the price comes down near the holidays, I probably won't resist the urge to buy it.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

This is what I've been saying all along! Okay so we're missing the commentary from part 7 with the director, but what IS included is the newer commentary with...oh who? The director? Plus members of the cast? Oh and the director is also in tons of interviews throughout the set? Who fucking cares if they dropped the old commentary for part 7. Guaranteed to be tons of overlap. Sure I agree it's odd that they left it off, but oh well. It's not like there's no commentary at all, and it's with the director again. No big deal. Part 3's commentary is missing and okay that kind of sucks but there are also special features dedicated to part 3. The commentary was also very poorly recorded if I remember correctly.

But either way, Crystal Lake Memories is also like 7 hours long, I don't know why people are bitching about a commentary missing when there's probably about an hour's worth of interviews dedicated to part 7. Also, give Bracke's book a read. Everything you could possibly want to know about that movie is in there. All you need to do is READ. The things you can learn from books, people.

I don't know about anyone else, but I want this set for the films. That's why we like the series in the first place, no? It's baffling sometimes how much people ENJOY bitching. Seriously. It's as if people like to complain more than they like a good, definitive release of a film.

JGTH is the R-rated version in the boxset, sure, but the UV copy that comes with the film is apparently uncut according to someone on the blu-ray.com boards who already has the set. And it's in HD. So there. You have JGTH uncut.

I, for one, CANNOT FUCKING WAIT till Friday. Fuck yes.

~Matt

13. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Some cool news about the Freddy Vs. Jason disc on the set. A Blu-ray.com forum member who got it says it has a new menu, new transfer/encode, and 6.1 DTS-HD MA!

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I saw this on the shelf at Best Buy today. I wasn't about to pay $99.99 for it with the R-rated Jason Goes To Hell and the fact that I already own 1 - 3 and the remake on blu-ray.

But for anyone interested in getting it early, you might want to check Best Buy.

15. jcannon

jcannon Member

I picked up the set earlier this afternoon from the Plymouth, MA Best Buy. They had four copies of the set. I had pre-ordered the set from Amazon, but I really wanted to make sure I would have the set in hand for Friday.

Considering I never thought in a million years we would have a cumlative set of all the films due to rights issues, this set should be a fan's dream come true. What could have been a perfect "10" is a mediocre "5".

Corners were cut on this set big time. While I'm always one to follow the philosophy "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I think Warner took it too much to heart. I have no objections to Warner not producing new material for the set, especially since "Crystal Lake Memories" is so close on the horizon, but at the very least they could have tried for some uniformity. The original three and the remake seem very out of place with their different menu structures and audio formats. Considering there was nothing wrong with the original "Freddy vs Jason" disc I can't see why Warner repurposed the disc, gave it a new menu and changed the audio to DTS-HD Master Audio. The original three and the remake should have also been given the same treatment.

The real beef with the fans though is the exclusion of the unrated cut of "Jason Goes to Hell" especially since the original and remake both contain alternate versions. With a set like this the uncut and theatrical versions for these three should have been included, at least for completist sake. Considering there seems to be HD masters lying around it seems like a very wasted opportunity.

Based off of the few minutes of each film that I viewed, the transfers are the best these films have ever looked on home video, and probably the best we'll see for quite some time. Can't really comment on audio portions as I haven't viewed films all the way through yet. Considering some discs are double features compression does not seem to be an issue.

By far my biggest problem with the set is that multiple extras appear on the set twice. The Killer Extras disc should have been completely scrapped or those duplicate extras should not have been included on the discs for the films. More space could have been dedicated to a/v and the Killer Extra disc could have been marketed as an exclusive to the set, which might have helped fans who are waiting for potential releases of the sequels bite the bullet on this set.

16. Franco

Franco Weekender

Are the releases in this box set zoomed-in? I guess I read somewhere sometime ago that the F13 movies that had been previously released in Blu-Ray format had some kind of zoom-in and were not necessarily presented in their original ratio. Is that so?

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The only Friday that has been "zoomed in" is the original, but it has always looked that way in its uncut form so it's not an error.

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Supposedly, the original DVD release for Friday the 13th was overscanned.

The administrator at caps-a-holics.com posted this a few years back, but the blog entry that is quoted, http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/friday-blu-ray-framing-issue/#comment-47682, no longer seems to exist.

19. jcannon

jcannon Member

The films that were originally shown in 1.85:1 have been opened up to 1.78:1. Only the original has different framing than it did on prior DVD releases.

20. Franco

Franco Weekender

Then in that way I have the two versions: I own the 2004 Ultimate Edition box set which has the first F13 in R-Rated Theatrical form with a ratio of 1.85:1 and also own the R2 UK release which is uncut and with a ratio of 1.78:1.