Freddy's Nightmares

Discussion in 'General' started by Bobbywoodhogan, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Is showing in the UK on the Horror Channel at 8pm on weekdays straight after the Friday the 13th series episodes at 7pm.

I have a question aswell, does anyone remember an episode of Freddys Nightmares where a guy shoots Friday and he falls behind the sofa and then pops back up?

and can anyone list of the episodes that have Freddy Krueger as the villain in rather than just the host?

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i have the complete series let me see season 1
    episode 1. no more mr nice guy
    episode 4. freddy's tricks and treats
    episode 7. sister's keeper
    episode 22. safe sex

season 2
    episode 1.dream come true
    episode 4. photo finish
    episode 11. dreams that kill
    episode 12. its my party and you'll die if i want you to

i think that is it i only seen each episode once but those eight have freddy as the main villian
    the no more mr nice guy episode directed by tobe hooper is the best because it is actally a prequel showing freddy in court

3. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

There is a very strange straaaaange episode starring Lar Park Lincoln, but I can't remember the name......

4. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

It's a Miserable Life is Lar Park's episode and she looks fabulous.

5. Frankenstorm

Frankenstorm Guest

Speaking of Night of the Creeps (elsewhere), Jill Whitlow is in my favorite FN episode "Mother's Day". She is so freakin' cute in it.

6. Bobbywoodhogan

Thank u :)

Yeah i've already seen that one bought it on DVD when it came out. I have a few of them on DVD which i've converted from VHS aswell :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  7. Cantona07

Cantona07 New Member

I have been watching the series on Zone Horror and they are all cut!

8. Bobbywoodhogan

Yeah I noticed that but to be honest its not like theres alot of gore to cut anyways. Its stupid cause if they showed it just an hour later they wouldn't have to cut anything, they did it with Tales From the Crypt aswell even when they showed it late.

9. We also have the series in syndication, over here in North America, on a pathetic and also badly censored digital cable channel, called Chiller TV.

I've personally DV-R saved a few episodes last year, like six, and I watched'em (including a Tobe Hooper one that is a large backstory on his murder by fire), and I'm sorry, I just chouldn't get into this show. As a big time Slasher iconic villiam completeist I SO badly wanted to, but all the episodes I watched were just so under written by the series writers, and the acting I found sub-par. To each their own.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  10. Bobbywoodhogan

I know what you mean mate, its horribly written and to be honest alot of them don't make sense but I think I just enjoy that late 80s/early 90s feel to it to be honest.

11. Indeed! I mean I truely don't know what went wrong, but even the Robert Englund hosted bits between commercial breaks aren't enough to svae it, or even warrent a purchase from me, a hardcore Salsher & Giallo fanatic, if it was ever released. The acting is sub par, the scrips are indeed terrible, and a lot of the wrap-around stories indeed are just barely commected. Must say that I haven't laughed so hard at the one with the once badly over-weight babysitter was tempted with the kids that one episode, and the later part as I remember had absolutely fuck all to do with her.

Totally a missed oppertunity I agree, my good man (as in this whole series was a missed oppertuntity).

But yeah, the late '80s feel and a few guest stars of character actors from '88 and '89 are well worth looking at, namely cause that's a time period where I started to remember a lot more about growin' at as a very, very young lad. Love some of those delightfully tacky fashions and oddly sensual hair on the ladies, as I'm a big time '80s fanatic as well, and have a thing, admitedly, for how woman dressed & carried themselves back then.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  12. Bobbywoodhogan

It should have made an attempt to be scarier, creepy, etc, the scripts certainly should have been better. I really don't think there is any excuse for a bad script, how hard is it to write something down. The full 45 minutes or so should have been devoted to one story rather than a split one. They should have had a look at the twlight zone if they were unsure what to do. I'd definitely say it was a missed oppurtunity.

I actually think the Friday the 13th series which didnt havea connection to the movies I know had a better idea and a better execution.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  13. True. And I wasn't into the Friday the 13th anthology series as well (for some reason, all the big genre series that was covered in Fangoria and the like, I've tried to watch episodes, and get maybe two full in, and I just loss interest cause of the televisions censorship), but indeed, the execusion and over all story flow of the few (about four or so one late afternoon in it's syndication) was much, much better.

I was surprised, afetr havnig not seen it (the Freddy's Nightmares series) in syndication for years, as I was again very young at the time, just how over all what a HORRIBLE, laughable show it was as I sitdown to watch some DV-R'd episodes late at night at my sister Lori's house where I was stayin' and with one of my older brother's (Erik before he had his own place here). He would heard the acting as he was on the PC, doin' his eBay shit, and we would both be chuckling at the sub-par acting and the soap opera esque music.

This is one of those things, like the original Night of the Demons, that was SO much better when you were a young lad. But to each they're own, ya know?

14. Bobbywoodhogan

I'm finding this alot recently, stuff I loved as a kid I just cannot watch now cause how bad it is but when you're a kid certain things you'll love like just the fact that its Freddy Krueger made me love Freddy's Nightmares as a child now I watch it just for a nostalgic trip back but it is so horrible its laughable,

15. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

My brother and I used to watch this in its original run in the late 80s. If I recall my local station played it right after Friday the 13th: The Series so we'd have a whole night of cool horror. It really pushed the envelope for its time. The way Freddie narrated the segments it was like he was your "Friend," laughing along with you at the way all the people died.

16. Bobbywoodhogan

Its showing after Friday the 13th: The Series over here in the UK aswell :D

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I finally got through all 44 episodes of Freddy's Nightmares after slaving away at it for the last 2 months, and I gotta say it was a chore to get through... Since each episode overstays it's welcome at 45 minutes each (by of course have 2 'segments' per episode) I had to watch the entire series on 1.5x fast forward on my PS3 just to get through it that much faster. I will admit though, there were at least 5 or 6 worthwhile episodes and a few crazy cameos (Jill Withlow for instance, and Brad Pitt AND Bill Mosely in the same episode) but out of 44 that still doesn't make up for the mess this show was.

If you have never seen an episode, but find yourself curious to delve into Freddy's Nightmares, for the sake of your sanity only watch the following episodes (ranked from the best to worst of the 'good episodes'):

"Do You Know Where Your Children Are?" (S02EP10) - Awesome tale about a babysitter who discovers the family she is sitting for has their daughter locked up in the basement. Surprisingly creepy and well-written.

"Sister's Keeper" (S01EP7) - Unfortunately you'll have to watch the horrendous first episode "No More Mr. Nice Guy" to better appreciate this one, since it's the follow-up. Tells the tale of twin sisters who are preyed upon by Freddy's vengeance since their cop father killed him.

"It's My Party, and You'll Die if I Want You To" (S02EP12) - Freddy's back getting revenge on his graduating class at their class reunion.

"Prime Cut" (S02EP15) / "Dust to Dust" (S02EP20) - This pair go back-to-back as the first tells the tale of plane crash survivors who resort to cannibalism to stay alive, and in the follow-up episode things go absolutely bat-shit crazy when the new-found cannibals get infected by, no joke, alien space dust... easily the absolutely craziest and non-sensical episode of the entire series - so bad it's good.

"Safe Sex" (S01EP22) - A nerdy teen has a crush on a goth chick, who happens to have a Freddy fetish. Only good for the fact that the goth chick is a total babe!

Watch those, avoid the rest.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i love the first episode which is a prequel directed by tobe hooper

19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I still have the VHS copy of that episode put out by Warner Bros. It was released 20 years ago! Now I really feel old.

20. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Just recently watched some of these and it's a mixed bag in terms of quality and nowhere near as good as Tales From The Crypt in my opinion.
    Could someone explain what 'It's A Miserable Life' was about? It made little to no sense to me.