Four of the Apocalypse/Bullet for the General

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Andrew, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Are these any good? I seriously considered picking up FOTA at Tower today, but it was marked at the $20 retail and that's just too much. However, I was also wondering if either of these would be a good representation of the Spaghetti Western genre. I've never seen one, but am quite interested. I want to get the Spaghetti Western Collection from Blue Underground, but I don't want to waste upwards of $50 for a few movies I'll have no interest in. Thanks for any help.

2. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

Four Of The Apocalypse is a very seventies western. It is not for everyone. I like it, but I recommend that you rent it first. The Spaghetti Western Collection is more representative of the genre. It has four good films, so, I would recommend it. I have never seen Bullet For A General, so, I have no comment on it.

3. Mr.Vengance

Mr.Vengance Guest

I thought FOTA was amazing. It's really only a western do to its setting. I felt it played out far better as a drama. If you're looking for a good spaghetti western then try Django or something but if you're looking for an excellent fulci drama then give this one a whirl.

4. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

FOTA is great! I've stated often that I sometimes prefer Fulci's non-genre offers, and FOTA is definitly one of those reasons. Its definitly not the best western though, I agree with the Django comment, now that's some fucked up shit! And if anyone suggests Cut Throats Nine to you, its not as cool as people make it out to be.

5. Beastus

Beastus New Member

Cut Throats Nine was not a good movie. Not worth the $25-30 bucks it goes for on online stores.

6. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

Four Of The Apocalypse is definitely a unique film. It has one of the most evil villains ever to appear on screen.I agree that it really isn't a western. It is a seventies analogy placed in the western milieu.

7. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Aright, I'll probably just wing it and get the Spaghetti Western set and get FOTA later.

No comments on BFTG though?

8. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

CUTTHROATS NINE is actually an all-time favorite of mine. What didn't you guys dig about it?

I recommend FOUR OF THE APOCALYPSE, but it's a very atypical spag west.

I didn't really care for A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL, but I haven't seen it in ages. I should probably finally watch my AB disc.

9. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Get the Spaghetti Western Collection its your best bet if your new to the genre. FOTA is good, a very different kind of Spaghetti Western but good all the same. i still gotta pick up A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL, it doesn't sound too bad. Django kicks ass, love the theme song for it. :banana:

10. CrumpsBro

CrumpsBro Guest

A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL is one of my favorite non-Leone Spaghetti Westerns. It's very political (turning the whole do-anything-for-a-dollar mentality of Leone's films on its head), but the message is delivered along with a lot of action and some great dialogue.

Give it a shot.

11. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Cut Throats Nine was a bore, it didn't seem to go anywhere at all and when it didn't there wasn't anything worth it in my opinion.

12. While I do like Four Of The Apocalypse, - I thought Massacre Time was much better. Not as stylish - but the pace & timing was much better.
    Chaco from 4OTA was wickedly good.

Django is about the best Italian western ever - and Franco Nero is typically super-cool.

13. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I just finished watching Companeros, great movie. If you like Spaghetti Westerns then you should love it. Its tied with Django for the best Spaghetti Western(not includeing Eastwood ones). Franco Nero and Tomas Milian kick ass together, both are great in this movie. Franco even gets to use his machine gun in this one too(though not for as long as in Django), it has a great soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. And finally what movie can't be good with Jack Palance as the pot-smoking baddie. Great movie:banana: :banana:

[​IMG]

14. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

COMPANEROS & BULLET FOR THE GENERAL are two of my all favorite westerns, spaghetti or not!