For oldheads, do you recall how previews were in early 80's??

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Dec 14, 2013.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Very true.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, we live in a different world. When was the last time you went to an independent theater? I mean, a truly independent theater? In the 70s, you could literally have a mom-and-pop's theater, but nowadays everything is part of a chain. And those chains have agreements with the big studios, so guess who gets to push their crappy product?

Although, I do want to point out that a lot of the great giallo films have super long trailers too, giving away a lot of the movie (addressing the OP's point here). They wouldn't reveal the killer's identity, but almost all the murder scenes are in the trailers. So it's not exactly a "new" thing...

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Yeah, the the indie theaters in Seattle plays plenty of interesting and varied trailers. Big box theaters are going to play big box movie trailers.

I agree with Shape22, though, in that the majority of big box trailers I now see are usually uninteresting and familiar. But that's likely due to me being older now and recognizing the formulaic nature of most blockbuster films. When you're young, it's all new.

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

On average around 3 trailers, today it averages around 4 but there are alot more averts mixed in.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

What I miss about the movie going experience is having the curtains drawn over the screen and music playing through the speakers prior to the show. Now there is no music and instead there are the same 5 or 6 lame assed "Did You Know?" Trivia questions that you'd have to be a baboon to NOT know repeated on an endless loop. It often makes me wish they sold suicide pills next to the Good 'n Plenty out at the concession stand.

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The biggest difference is they used to play trailers that made sense with the feature, and what studio made the movie didn't matter as much. WB would pay to have their horror trailers before Fox movies and all that. Now if it's a Fox movie, they are gonna shove nothing but trailers for other Fox films at us, whether they make any sense with the feature or not. If Fox has no more horror films to promote when I go see Fox horror movie Y, all I'm gonna see is trailers for Fox comedies and dramas. They all scared of each other like a bunch of crab bitches, only caring for their studio's bottom line and couldn't give a fuck about the industry they all work in. That why trailers suck now, "studial incest" (just coined that, T-shirts coming soon:)).

7. j tea

j tea New Member

Ive been lucky to have independent theaters everywhere Ive lived in the last 20 years, Atlanta, LA, Eugene, and now in Lawrence, KS. Every trailer at Liberty Hall in Lawrence is for a movie they will be showing the next month. So they really never show more than two trailers.

One thing I do remember about seeing trailers when I was a kid was that it was likely the first Id heard of them. Of course I was a kid, but I would imagine if you werent reading Variety or some other trades you may not know a movie was even in the works. Now of course we know the second something is greenlit and have to watch the writing, casting, filming, and promotion get scrutinized as if it was more important than the movie itself.

Oh, and get off my lawn!!

8. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I saw Prometheus in Germany at a mall movie theater on a US army base. They showed only one preview and then everyone stood up for the national anthem. Took me by surprise:eek:

9. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I have no idea what that means, but I like it!

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Unlike many on here it seems, I actually look forward to seeing the previews before the movie. Yes, I watch them ahead online as well, but it's no the same as seeing it in the theatres, especially for the big epic movies. I hate when I see a movie in IMAX and there is only one or two previews, or when you a certain preview is supposed to play in front of a movie and it's not. Maybe because I'm in Canada? The one thing I do agree with though is I hate commercials before a movie! There are usually as many commercials as there are previews, and that is just annoying!

As for people seeing previews unrelated to the genre, I don't see too much of that here. The previews are usually geared to the type of movie I'm seeing. And I also don't agree that previews these days show too much. Of course there are a few exceptions (Dream House showed you the whole movie!), I would say movies these days show less. You get quick glimpses of scenes, but previews from the 60s and 70s would literally show you whole scenes, some pretty important to the plot. And they would be shown in the order they appear in the movie. These days the editing is so quick that you aren't sure exactly what is going on or what you just saw.