FINAL TERROR, DEADLY EYES, GINGER SNAPS, LAKE PLACID, More from Shout Factory in July

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Apr 8, 2014.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

The Ginger Snaps transfer is a "faithful reproduction of the source". I've been seeing a lot of horror movies described that way in reviews, including relatively newer productions - have filmmakers just forgotten how to make movies? I find it hard to believe a respectable filmmaker wants to make drab-looking movies on purpose. I mean, even low-budget movies have competent crews (most of them, anyway). And print damage? On a film made in 2000?

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Loved that review for Ginger Snaps! Package looks great, the screencaps look great, and it's a great film. Great buy! GREAT!

4. Christ75

Christ75 New Member

Thank you for the link.
    I have the old canadian DVD but i want it on blu.
    Katharine Isabelle will be at the Montreal ComicCon in september so i prefer bring the bluray than the dvd.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Received Ginger Snaps today from Scream Factory with the limited poster.

[​IMG]

6. Christ75

Christ75 New Member

I'm jalous. I love the poster.
    :(

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Damn, that's nice.

8. st3b

st3b New Member

pre order for curtains bluray on dvd pacific with shipping was 16.66 hellva deal

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i think thats the reason why its so expensive on amazon.ca. i switched my pre-order to amazon.com. even with the shipping and conversion, it's still about $5 cheaper. $30 vs. $35. I hate paying that much for a movie, but it is a favorite...plus, my brother offered me $20 for my SE dvd, so it's only really costing me $10 to upgrade. i can live with that.

Oh, and since it fits in this thread as well: I'm in the middle of watching Deadly Eyes for the first time right now, and it's really great. i love these canadian tax shelter films. they're always full of parkas, snow, and grey skys.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

13. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

good review. surprised. usually Blu-ray.com is kinda harsh sometimes..

14. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

16. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Watched Deadly Eyes three times since I received it last week. Very solid nature run amok film with some great unintentional laughs. Blu-Ray is great too, love the extras.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Caught up with The Final Terror, Lake Placid, and Southern Comfort over the past few days.

Starting with Lake Placid, I really enjoyed this one as a teenager. Unfortunately, it hasn't aged well. A lot of the jokes miss the mark, and the jumps / scares miss their beats. Doesn't really work. Great atmosphere though. The setting was fantastic, and was shocked on the bonus featurette to hear that a majority of it was built for the movie (trees shipped in, man-made lake, etc). Also, had completely forgotten that Meredith Salenger was in this. And never noticed the Steve Miner cameo (although I probably didn't know what he looked like before all the F13 documentaries and books).

As for The Final Terror, the first two reels looked pretty rough. After that, it got a lot better, but I was still a little disappointed in the PQ. Very commendable for Shout Factory to go to the trouble of releasing this, I'm so glad to have this in hi-def as the audio on my VHS was becoming distorted, but it's sad that the rights owners didn't keep track of the original negatives. The movie is atmospheric and fun, but like Lake Placid, it suffers from a nearly non-existent body count (which is supposedly the reason it was shelved). Also, the Lewis Smith interview was enlightening. As soon as they showed him, I was like "hey, it's The Heavenly Kid!" Never drew the connection before. Also, never recognized him from Southern Comfort as well, as he mentions at the end that he never would have gotten the role in Southern Comfort if he didn't have a completed feature credit (The Final Terror)...

...which leads us to the highlight of the three releases, Southern Comfort! The disc looks fantastic, and the movie is by far the best of the bunch. Shout Factory seems pretty liberal when using the Scream Factory banner, I'm surprised this one didn't make the cut. It's not a horror film, but it's certainly more of a horror film than Mad Max and Ninja III, and about as much of one as Assault On Precinct 13. The final 15 minutes are more tense and nerve-wracking than a majority of the straight horror titles they've released. I wonder if releasing it under the Scream banner would have gotten it more attention, as no one really seemed to care much when this was released. Shame, as it's a pretty remarkable little thriller.

19. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Watched Final Terror the other day, and yes, while the overall picture quality is not the best I'm so happy to have this on Blu finally. There's a weird red/orange hue almost throughout the entire movie giving you this transparent campfire visual over every scene - I kinda liked it. Great flick that has stuck with me for many years. Thanks!!!

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Final Terror is an odd one. it's not scary, has very few kills, very little gore, and hardly any plot, even by slasher standards. and yet, its shot so well that it remains compelling. the last ten minutes are actually downright beautiful.