Favorite Horror Films Of 2012

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Dec 21, 2012.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Best overall Film of the year: Compliance

Horror top 10

1. Sleep Tight
    2. Mother's Day
    3. Chained
    4. The Innkeepers
    5. Entrance
    6. John Dies at the End
    7. Piranha 3DD
    8. Twixt
    9. Excision
    10. The Wicker Tree

Best Animated: ParaNorman
    Honorable Mentions: Attack of the 50 ft. Cheerleader, Father's Day, The Divide.

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

so what did you think? I went into seeing it without knowing it had any horror element to it - I thought it was just an action/thriller movie - confused the heck out of me until I found a good site that helped explain it to me <:

3. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I really disliked the movie. I only heard great things about it but I guess it wasn't my bag.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I agree. I thought it was awful.

And you'll definitely want to turn the subtitles on. Even though it's in English, the accents are so thick that I couldn't understand a word they were saying.

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Damn, I forgot Mother's Day!!! and that I really want to see Excision. Guess I shall update my top 10

6. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I think I am getting crotchety. The only films I liked this year were:

Cabin in the Woods
    Innkeepers
    The Pact (and that one really only made the list because I thought the first big ghost attack was really well done)

I didn't see Woman in Black as I only marginally liked the original, but I'll keep it on the watch list due to all the times it seems to pop up here.

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah I guess Mother's Day wasn't released on DVD till this year. That needs to go on my list as well.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Man, I don't know WHAT to think about Kill List. Like a lot of people here, it seemed to be a crime thriller at first, then morphed into a horror film. Apparently it was all foreshadowing, but I didn't see that. Granted, I was drinking 11% Belgian Ale at the time, but I think they could have played up the horror angle all along, like in The Wicker Man. I might give it another viewing before I send it back.

And yeah, you ain't shitting about the heavy accents. I thought they invented the language in that country. Why doesn't anyone there speak it?

9. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I finally got around to watching V/H/S and Piranha 3DD.

V/H/S was excellent - really quite good. Definitely a favorite.

Piranha 3DD was terrible, but sort of fun, in a please-let-them-die-oh-good-but-the-effects-robbed-me-of-the-pleasure kind of way.

And of course, I only bought one of these before I saw either, and it turned out to be the one I like least... darn.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Innkeepers was my favorite horror flick released this past year.

11. Christ75

Christ75 New Member

1. Sinister
    2. Cabin In The Woods
    3. Mother's Day
    4. Silent Hill: Revelation
    5. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
    6. Human Centipede II: Full Sequence
    7. Woman In Black

with this i have to add
    American Horror Story - season 1

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Cabin in the Woods
    Prometheus (if we're counting it)
    Resident Underworld Evil: Retro- wakening

13. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I just saw Sleep Tight tonight - great movie! Deliciously fucked up story that makes twisted seem normal. I really really enjoyed that one!

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Added to my Netflix queue

Also saw Compliance over last weekend. Really hard to watch, in that twisty/cringe-y way. Which is good. Biggest drawback was that I really like Dreama Walker (love her ABC sitcom), and love seeing her naked, but not like that.

15. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I'd be surprised if you don't love Sleep Tight. I think Compliance is next in my queue, I've been looking forward to it for a while :)

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah what an unbelievable story Compliance is. It's mind boggling to imagine how those events could be possible and it wasn't even an isolated incident. Saying that I wouldn't say it qualifies as horror though.

17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The movie is pretty accurate to what actually happened. You can watch the ABC news report on YouTube.

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

This wasn't a strong year for horror films in my opinion, and although I have probably seen more films this year then any other, not too many of those were horror.

My Favourite Horror Films of 2012

1. The Cabin in the Woods - For a larger write up on this, check out my "Top 10 Movies of 2012" post. Needless to say this movie was a blast, one of the most original films I've seen in some time and a huge love letter to horror fans.

2. Prometheus - I'm surprised all the hate this movie is getting. I guess I just don't watch a movie to pick it apart and search for plot holes. Other then the ending and its terrible CGI, I enjoyed the slow pace and build up of this film. It brought me back to Ridley's first foray into space.

3. The Innkeepers - Ti West is definitely one of my favourite horror Director's out there right now. He makes extremely slow paced films where not much happens but for some reason I never find myself bored. It may have something to do with the interesting characters he writes. And when the scares do come they are usually worth the long wait.

4. The Woman in Black - Although this one didn't work for me as it did others, I still really enjoyed it. Great atmosphere and set pieces, I just wish it was scarier.

5. Frankenweenie - You can tell I am desperate here when I am including this in my list. Not really a horror film but since it's a huge homage to Frankenstein I feel it fits. I love stop motion and Tim Burton makes a return to form here.

6. Silent House - I liked this even if the ending was a huge let down. Unique idea (Made to seem like it's all shot in one take) with some decent scares.

Silent Night - Some decent kills, the wood chipper scene being a stand out, but overall pretty bad. Awful script and acting, and most importantly lacking a Christmas feel. Where is all the snow!?

Dark Shadows - Awful! Not really horror film but since it is about vampires and werewolves and witches oh my, I thought I'd throw it in. I like both Tim Burton and Johnny Depp for the most part, but they really need to stop creating these films together. This was the worst of the lot in my opinion, a huge mess that didn't know what it was trying to be.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I don't know if I'd call Sleep Tight horror, but I did really dig it. Very fucked up, in that good sort of way. Did you watch the making-of documentary on the Blu-Ray? It's longer than that actual film!!! I was gonna give it a perfunctory watch (since most making-ofs are little more than fluff pieces), but about 15 minutes in I realized it's a thorough dissection of the filmmaking process (better than any commentary could be) so I'm going to start it again when I can give it my full and undivided attention. Of course, the fact that I don't speak Spanish means I can't have it on in the background and just listen to it.

20. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I don't have a top ten at this point, but without a doubt Sinister tops the list for me.