Favorite Euro Horror Director and why?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Jason25, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I know this has been asked many times before but I thought I'd bring it up again. There are so many wonderful directors and it probably isn't fair to ask you, no, to make you pick just one, but it is what I am doing so do it now!! :D

Fulci, Argento, Soavi, Rollin, Franco, Grau, Avati, Deodato, Lenzi, M. Bava, L. Bava, Martino, the list goes on and on.

I did some debating and it didn't take more than 15 seconds, I swear.
    I picked Lucio Fulci, hands down. I'm not saying he is the best, I'm only saying that he is my favorite.

Let's take a closer look and I'll tell you why

Fulci started out making of all things - comedies and you know what, he excelled. These are his earliest films. I think they are genius. He has a way of presenting a film,not always the most creative or understanding plots but the atmosphere he creates is simply unmatched. Getting off the course I want to follow, I bring up City of the Living Dead - it is fantastic, sure the plot isn't the best, the acting isn't Oscar calliber, but the viewer is taken in by the wonderful atmosphere, it is something that really can't be defined but is there and carries us, the fog, the gore, the story just engrosses the viewer, making us ask for more.

Getting back on track a little more.

So the comedies were fascinating, he then jumps right into a western, yes Mr, Fulci.
    Using Massacre Time as the example. The gore,story, acting, is top notch. Not bad for a guy who made comedies before this.
    He made a few westerns, all of them very effective in my book. These were never fully appreciated and I hope with them becoming available on dvd, that they finally get the praise they deserve.

So he has done comedies, westerns, what next you ask?

Horror, he steps into the horror genre, A Lizard In A Woman's Skin is my idea of cinematic perfection. Every single frame he filmed in this movie, to me, is perfection. This not only is my favorite Fulci film, although House By The Cemetery is basically on par to this, it is my all-time favorite film and I'll tell you why. He gives me everything I could ever ask for with this film. Plot, gore, intrigue, atmosphere, suspense, makes me think, it touches all my senses. It is the pinnacle of perfection. This is where I am deeply angered by ignorant critics of his who claim he is a hack, what a pitifullly misguided, ignorant statement. It angers me deeply. How can a man, a director, a storyteller, who made films in basically every major genre be called a hack? I just don't get it.

In lizard we have a story much before it's time, dealing with sexuality, a major feat for it's time. Like I said, it is perfection.

Comedies, Westerns, Horror - a very impressive resume thus far and we aren't even to what has been basically his most well known film, not shabby at all.

Don't Torture A Duckling is a wonderful giallo, up there with anything the likes of Argento has ever made. The story here is captivating, moving, and quite simply beautiful. I have watched this over and over and over and find new things in it every single time. Kudos to you Mr. Fulci.

Zombi 2 - his most well known film, is a feat in itself. Coming out right after Dawn of the Dead, which is an amazing film also, treated fans to an all out Zombie fest. Still to this day, I can picture the Zombie popping out of the ground, you know, the ones on the cover of Anchor Bays DVD, what a fantastic visual that is. No offense to Mr. Romero but Fulci's zombies are THE best, period. Zombie boasts excellent gore, nice score, I really dig the music, acting I liked, nice plot - what a film it is. Talk about a great ending too!!

Look at his next films;

Zombi 2, City of the Living Dead, The Smuggler, The Black Cat, The Beyond, House By The Cemetery, The New York Ripper - All within a span of 3 years!!

And still he has been called a hack, absurd!!

Ok, I've bored you long enough - I think his films speak for themselves really - and that is why he is my favorite director - No other director does for me what Fulci does - his atmosphere can't be touched. I am so glad that many of his works can be appreciated by new audiences with the emergence of DVD.

Fulci Forever!

I would love to hear everyone elses' favorites and why.

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

For me it's gotta be Argento. I've seen more of his films than any other Italian director (maybe even director period). Almost all of his films are great, and give you that feeling you're watching an Argento film. I'm not sure if it's atmosphere exactly, but all of his films have a distinct feel.

Bird With the Crystal Plumage is a fantastic film. The acting, use of the aspect ratio, and the whole plot just ties together wonderfully.

Cat O' Nine Tales was also excellent. Not quite as good as Bird, but it has a distinct feel to it that isn't present in Argento's other films. I don't know what it is, but certain aspects seem a bit more brutal than usual, even though the film is nowhere near as gory as most of his others. Malden and Franciscus are also great to watch on screen.

Deep Red is (like a friend pointed out) almost like a polished version of Bird. I don't like it as much, but it is still an awesome movie. I really don't know how else to describe it. It's not a movie, it's an "experience".

Suspiria remains my favorite. It's an all out assault on the senses, and Argento does a great job of confusing the shit out of the viewer. Add to that some great moments of suspense and you've got Argento's best film.

Inferno is really an odd picture, but I enjoyed it a lot. Not as much as most of his other films, but it was still great. I've only seen it once, but some of the scenes (the under-water moments come to mind) just draw you in.

Tenebre is another goody. I love this one, much more than most people, but probably because it's just a "slasher for grown ups". Even though it's much more complex than that, I still see it like that. The scene with the girl dodging through the neighborhood is classic Argento: filmmaking at its best.

Phenomena doesn't sit too well with me, but I still respect Dario for making a completely bizarre film, nothing like his other efforts. It was the first movie that made me question what I was doing watching these "weird" movies. I just shrugged it off and kept buying more :). Connelly and Pleasance still turn in great performances, and the opening scene is one of my faves.

Opera was fun, but lacked some substance. The plot was a bit thin, although it's a great looking film. The acting is top notch (except for the "boyfriend" kid), and the direction is amazing. Quite a feat.

The Stendhal Syndrome is the only Argento film from the '90's that I've seen, and I think it's brilliant. The acting, the plot, the direction, and the way it's executed is just unbelievable. Nothing like this would get made in the States (that's a good thing :D).

I need to see his other films, but for now I'm content with watching these over and over.

And Fulci is no hack, he rocks! Can't wait to see Lizard in a Woman's Skin and Don't Torture a Duckling. I also want Soavi's Stage Fright, The Sect, and The Church to be released. Cemetery Man is awesome though.

Wow, what a rant. Wonder if me being Italian has anything to do with this? Goin' back to my roots, I guess.......

3. AlkanFan

AlkanFan Guest

Why do people hold Phenomena lower than the other Argento films? It is my personal favorite of his; every time I watch it I am more fascinated. Andrew, give it a few more watches and see if you don't change your mind.

4. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yeah I know, I've been meaning to.

Anyway, most people hold it in high regard, so I think if anyone's in the minority it's me.

5. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Not a big Phenomena fan either but will give it another shot this weekend.