Evil Dead 4 confirmed (+ remake)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Feb 4, 2005.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Say what? You didn't seriously just say that, did you? :lol:

I really don't know how to respond to that, because honestly that is positively the stupidest response to me that somebody could possibly make.

I mean really. Do you normally define yourself that strongly with what you watch? With an attitude like that it appears that I'm not the one that needs to mature. What are we, in high school still or something? Sheesh! :rolleyes:

2. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

:confused:

3. maybrick

Oh for Pete's sake. There are plenty of films that I like even though I consider them stupid. (for instance, I'm an unapologetic fan of Blair Witch 2!) That doesn't mean that I think that I am stupid. Lighten up. :rolleyes:

4. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

We get it, maybrick. You didn't like the film. All clear.

5. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Lol well this thread went to shit...

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

You have to admit that your remarks could of been easily interpreted and condescension. Anyway, who's got the next opinion.

7. maybrick

Sorry. I promise next time I'll step on my tippy toes whenever the subject of everybody's precious Evil Dead remake comes up. Never realized that honest criticism regarding certain franchises was so verboten around here. I'll never point out the obvious flaws in this series ever again. I pinky swear it. It was foolish of me to dare doubt the wisdom and splendor of the God Raimi.

Is that condescending enough for ya? :lol: ;)

Anyways, It's nice to know that I'm not entirely alone. Peace out.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

saw it today with my wife and sister-in-law. my sister-in-law was reluctant to go, because she thought it looked too scary and gross. but at the end she said she needn't have worried, she didn't find it scary or gross. so...yeah. to be honest, most of the crowd i saw it with was laughing at it for the last half of the picture. i was too, although i did enjoy certain aspects of it. the production design, the cinematography, i liked. those parts were over-the-top in a way that felt like an homage to the original. the gore was fine, although i have to say that nothing in this film was as cringe-inducing as Linda getting the pencil in the ankle in the original. the more outlandish gore scenes didn't really get to me, but i did find the
    machete going through the wall and slicing Mia's arms and legs
    to be pretty effective. i enjoyed the conclusion, from the time that the brother character
    buries his sister
    onwards. it sure didn't make much sense, but it had a certain manic energy that reminded me of old-school Raimi, and it culminated in a pretty great scene when
    Mia chainsaws the demon's face in half.
    That part was pretty great.

but damn, the dialogue was horrendous. when glasses guy says "Of course I'm not sure, it's not a science book!!" the entire audience was howling.

The scene after the credits was a nice touch.

9. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I really loved it. I was lucky to see it at my local movie theater for $5.00, because Friday morning, the first showing, before 4:00 PM was only $5.00 for 2D and 3D is $8.50, instead of $10.00 and $14.50. They lowered their prices only for the first showing each day, to drum up business during that time, but that is when I will be going to see movies from now on, including Star Trek Into Darkness. I stayed for the entire credits, and I loved the very end of the credits.

10. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

You tell such great stories...

11. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Well, Thank you Fistfuck. I want to thank Dickinson Eastglen 16 theater in Lee's Summit, for letting me know that it was going down in price. I was up there Thursday Morning to purchase my ticket for Friday Morning, and they are the only theater I go to, because they are only a few miles from me.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Completely disagree. Not groovy. I thought that post-credits cameo completely shit on the original Evil Dead franchise. What the hell were they thinking?

I caught this Thursday night. It sucked. No character development to make you give a damn about anything that happened to anyone other than the "leads", and that was nothing more than to let you know that's what they were. It's biggest strength - it's no-nonsense go-for-broke attitude - is also it's biggest weakness because if that's to work you need to at least care about what is happening. The only real positive I can say is great score, but it even featured homages to other works such as Gremlins.

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

The fan division in this thread will cause the very fabric of Horrordigi to collapse!

(But really, it's fascinating to read the disparate reactions. Keep 'em coming.)

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

haha ok, well we'll agree to disagree. do you mean you're offended by the suggestion that there's a link between the original and the remake? or that the end-credits scene gives the original creators' blessing to the remake? if you really despised the remake, i guess i can understand that. but its not like its a surprise. i mean, Raimi, Campbell, and Tapert are quite prominent in their producing capacity in the credits and advertisements and promotion, etc. they're on board with the remake, like it or not. so i dug it (the end scene). the conclusion of the film, like i said, left me with a slightly less sour taste in my mouth than i expected to have for the first 75 minutes or so. that, and the Professor Knowby audio over the end credits had me in a forgiving mood. i don't hate this remake. it was dumb as a rock, and not in a very good way, but i can't hate its very existence like i do with something like the Nightmare on Elm St. remake. I can't say i expect to ever watch this one again, but I feel like it had enough good intentions to get a pass.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

One thing is for sure. I thought it was leeps and bounds better then Chainsaw Massacre 3D.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I know it's been hinted at in articles, but how was that a link? That was nothing more than a useless gimmick to appease the diehards that couldn't have an Evil Dead remake without Ash. That was the true abomination.

17. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I both agree and disagree with you. It was useless fan service, but is that really so bad? To give the fans something to chew on and cheer for after years of championing the franchise? It added absolutely nothing to the film that preceded it, but so what? It was after the credits. A two-second gag. I'm not sure that qualifies it as an "abomination." :glasses:

18. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

via

Good news for those of us who want a sequel.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I wasn't making the statement that I thought it was a link, I meant it as a question asking if the reason it bothered you was because you thought it was a link? i totally agree that it was a useless gimmick, but...

thats pretty much how i felt about it. it made me laugh. it had nothing to do with the movie beforehand, but i think that's why i liked it. so yeah, i didn't see it as a link either. just a completely disposable gag. obviously it was meant for fans of the original, because to people who've never seen the originals it would make absolutely no sense. so i appreciated that. it felt like a wink from Campbell/Raimi/Tapert, not like anything from the creators of the new film.

but back to my original reply, i was trying to get a bit more info on why you disliked the tag so much, thats all.

EDIT: after re-reading my previous post, and this one, i feel like i'm drifting dangerously close to praising this film. that's not something i want to do. the movie was stupid. but what i appreciate are the good intentions, failed though they might be.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  20. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I dont´understand how they say the remake appealed heavily to males, stating 56%...

6% over 50/50 is considered "heavily"???