Escape From NY Announced

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Grim, May 27, 2010.

1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

If you're in Canada, HMV has this in their 2 for $20 deal.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, fuck. I just noticed that after I had ordered it off amazon.com for $13.49 and my order had already shipped. Oh well. Might grab Kalifornia, though, seeing as how that's a 2/$20 as well.

This is a rare instance where I'll actually keep my SE DVD of Escape. I have a blu-ray that's a 3-discer, with the 3rd disc being a (useless) digital copy. So I'll just use that case for the blu-ray of Escape, plus the 2 discs from the SE DVD. And I'll just take the 2-disc case from the Escape From NY disc and put the 2 discs from the other blu-ray in that, and put the digital copy in a paper sleeve and slip it into the side. Boom. 3-disc blu-ray SE of Escape From New York. Problem solved.

~Matt

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I was in hmv a few weeks back looking at their $5 trade-in selection, and saw they had the 3 disc blu of the keanu version of day the earth stood still for $14.99. That would have been $9.99 if i traded in some garbage dvd. I was scheming about how I could take my blu of the original and swap it out for the barebones original blu thats included with the remake, then sell the barebones in the original case to some pawnshop for 7 or 8 dollars, making the net cost to me about 2 bucks. i finally decided that $2 bucks was too much to spend on it though, and it wasn't worth the shame of having it seen on my shelf.

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

The Escape from New York Blu case came in the worst shape I've ever received a new disc in. The plastic is wrinkled to hell and they put some stupid looking Cult Classics insert over the front with adhesive that melted a spot the size of a nickel on the front. What jackass created these cases and decided to put that dumbass looking insert over the front? I thinking about tracking down someone at MGM to send me a new case.

5. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate New Member

I'm with ya there. The UK dvd looks way better to my eyes too.

6. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I don't have the UK disc to compare it to, but I thought this new BD release looked really good when I watched it last night. IMO, when it was very dark it seemed appropriate. I never felt like I was having a problem seeing the action. I am very happy with the PQ.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

That's a good mini-review that hit exactly on my fears from the screens. It looked so dark that the action could easily get lost. I'll wait to read more while waiting for a good sale, but this is a good sign.:)

8. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

After watching the entire blu-ray on my 1080p 42", I can say with confidence that this is a DEFINITE step up from the DVD. I payed close attention to nearly every scene and there is no doubt in my mind this is true hi-def. As crikan pointed out, the screens that appear dark are a bit deceiving as you don't miss a single bit of action or detail in the film that I noticed.

This is the best the film has looked since the original theatrical release, and I know 'cause I saw it in theaters 3 times when it came out. :)

Perhaps if an SE blu-ray comes out sometime, there may be room for improvement, but this release is pretty damn good albiet bare bones.

9. TheCoroner

TheCoroner New Member

None of the retail stores in my area even carry the EFNY bluray. :(
    How BB doesn't get this in stock for their stores is :mad:
    I finally gave up and ordered online.

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I paid like $12 for this. It looks great. Doesn't have any extras, but oh well. I'm satisfied. Oh and I sold the DVD for $5. Bonus.

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

yep it is hard to find in stores only 2 stores i have seen it in is my indie store and hastings. mgm's return of the living dead blu-ray that comes out next tuesday will be hard to find also my hastings store isnt getting it but best buy and my indie stores is supposed too

12. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

WOW that's very cool you got $5 for the old DVD! Yeah the blu-ray is a very good step up.

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Oh I wasn't even talking about the old DVD I had of it. I'm talking about the extra DVD that it came with.

14. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Judging by stores around here, neither of these exist, at all. Best Buy, Meijer's, FYE, Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart and Wazoo are the places you can get a BD here. None have had either title, I at least expected to see a grossly overpriced copy of EFNY at FYE, but have been SOL.:nervous:

That almost borders on scadolous, but nice going! I was gonna say the SE dvd is worth $5 to keep the extras. Who or where gave you 5 for the barebones shit dvd (I'm assuming this is the old dvd thrown in the package. I still see all the old shitty Fox dvds here and there {new stores, not used}, no matter how many have been replaced over the years) and no cover?

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Hilarious.

~Matt

16. TheCoroner

TheCoroner New Member

I don't why they even bother with the combo packages with dvd/bluray.

17. MacReady

MacReady New Member

I guess its to temp people who havnt upgraded to a bluray player yet, but are thinking about it or will eventually. I bought the "Lord of the Rings (1977)" dvd/bluray combo for exactly that reason.

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I just sold it to a friend. He wanted the movie and I had that lying around so it worked out for both of us.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I caved in and finally bought the Blu-ray yesterday. Hastings has it on sale for $9.99 this week, and I had store credit to boot.

20. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

The UK Blu has the worst PQ in my hi-def collection, I much prefer to watch the R1 DVD. Wish I could get my money back.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010