DVDs gone bad?

Discussion in 'General' started by zombiecraig, Oct 25, 2011.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, I had a problem with the Anchor Bay discs back in the day as well. My Halloween: LE discs just stopped working, same with the original release of Halloween 4. Anchor Bay was really cool to replace all three discs though. Doubt they'd still do it today.

2. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Mine died too. Also my first generation copy of Carpenter's THE THING. My R2 copy of GAMERA VS. BARUGON died of (visible) disc rot. My New Concorde DVD of WOMEN IN CAGES was missing a layer of backing or something (it looked different than my other New Concorde discs) and eventually stopped playing.

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The first pressings of this are known trouble discs as they used cheap glue that erodes quick, causing the layers to seperate and making the discs mostly unplayable. I am amazed mine still works yet still have the backup files ready to burn when it stops. Can't just buy a new one as new ones are digitally altered.

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Havn´t had any problems with my old DVD:s yet (though I have a few Laserdisc that have gotten disc rot), but I fear they will begin to break down within a couple of years after reading about this.

Magnetic tapes was said to have a shorter lifetime, so it would be kinda ironic if my 30 year old VHS tapes like "Terror Train", that plays very well still today, outlives these digital discs.

If the same thing will happen to Blu-Ray discs 10-15 years from now, maybe D-VHS/D-Theater (The short lived High-Def digital VHS format) would have been a better medium when it comes to long lifetime ;)

Bring back BETA!! :D

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Just The Howling for me.

Every once in a while, I come across a glitch where for a second or so the picture would appear to become solarized and then disappear. It's a temporary phenomenon so I promptly forget about it, but I can't figure out if the problem is in the disc, my blu-ray player, or the television. By rewinding, it appears to be on the disc but I don't know. Maybe it's simply being misread. Anybody else ever have anything similar happen like that?

6. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

By the sounds of this thread, I probably have dozens of DVDs that won't play anymore but that I simply haven't checked in years. Had never heard about the Fight Club/Seven problem and I have the first releases of both of those.

I had to return my Halloween 4 way back when that problem happened. Also, my Oh Brother where Art thou? stopped playing years back. Just found out recently that my Riot on 42nd St. DVD won't play on a lot of units, but thankfully it plays on my PS3.

I've been articles to the effect that analog does deterioate at a much slower rate than digital, so it's actually a fact. We are, I guess, paying for higher quality in terms of sound and picture but not for longevity.

7. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Yup. The silver side turned a wavy black color as though slowly burned with a lighter. I've yet to see anything as weird.

8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

even cold November rain....

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I went through three copies of the silent version of CALL OF CTHULHU that did the same thing,the disc turn a coppery black and would just freeze up when I tried to play it.

10. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Anchor Bay had alot of titles that this happened with 1--11 years ago. Vamp, a lot of the Hammer stuff, Opera ect.

11. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Yeah, thsoe were shitty times for dvd. Both my Heathers and Opera discs played once but never again, thankfully I heard about the issues and replacements and tried them within time to get replacements. Anyone who finds a still sealed copy of Argento's Opera LE or Heathers tin, it will probably only play one time.:(

AB used to have the the best customer service of anyone, now they don't respond to emails or phone calls like back in the day.:cry:

12. shockwave

shockwave New Member

I have that dvd, haven't watched it in a few years though, might have to watch it and see.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, no kidding. Once I bought a release that was missing the poster card insert — contacted them by email, and they rushed it to me by FedEx overnight free of charge.

As for bad Anchor Bay releases... I did buy a couple of new discs years ago that wouldn't play at all in any player. SpaceCamp and The Stepford Wives both had a strange colored pinkish tint to the disc surfaces. They were both factory sealed and everything, just bad discs.

14. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Check it out and let me know if it still plays.

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I had an issue with a brand new blu-ray of theirs skipping not too long ago (Dear Mr. Gacy), so I e-mailed them. They sent me a pre-paid envelope to send them the blu-ray, and they sent me a new one. They even stayed in contact via e-mail to make sure the replacement played fine (it did). This was within the past year and their customer service was excellent.

Recently I did have a problem with another blu-ray of theirs (Bereavement). This one wouldn't load at all. I exchanged it at the store and the replacement had the same problem so I'm assuming that it is a firmware issue, but I haven't had the opportunity to try it on another player yet.

16. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

I think you and I are the only ones obsessed with D-VHS.

Sounds like you need a hug dude yeah I'm offering. ;)

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Damn i hope this doesn't happen to my Halloween set. That's still the version I watch do to the better colours, and it has some extras including the TV cut that the Blu doesn't have.

Sounds like I need to check on my Opera set as well. Damn, most of the good stuff was released by Anchor Bay back then, I hope their discs aren't all rotting!

18. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami

Yeah, me too! I think I'll make a back up copy of the TV version.

19. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Well, I checked most of the titles mentioned here and they all seem to play just fine. I skipped through several chapters and no problems. The irony is that a lot of these are first release titles and now I'm looking at them and seeing how bad the quality is and wanting to upgrade to Blu! Sometimes with horror movies I don't mind, since it gives it a nostalgic and gritty feel. If it is a HORRIBLE transfer, like some of the old Diamond DVDs, it actually does take from the movie. I remember a few titles that I watched for the first time on Diamond and hated, then revisited with the AB or Blue Underground releases and loved the film, so it is a catch 22. Anyway, watching some of my Alien Legacy set to check it made me really want to upgrade that to Blu. Especially since I've seen them on AMC in HD.

20. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

The only one I've noticed... so far... is my copy of Universal's original The Thing Collector's edition. It was the very first DVD I bought.