DVDs gone bad?

Discussion in 'General' started by zombiecraig, Oct 25, 2011.

1. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

Anyone experience a DVD that will no longer play? Sorry, maybe I'm naive in this area, but today was the first time that has ever happened to me. I'm not talking about scratched DVDs, just a DVD that can no longer be read.

My Carrie: Special Edition DVD appears to be dead, as of today. Watched roughly the first half and then it simply stopped. I'm assuming at the layer change. Tried to advance past the chapter, nothing. Tried it in a few different DVD players, nothing. Tried to rip in to my computer, nothing.

Now I have had this since it was released, when? Probably 2001 or something? So, it is ten years old, and I've probably viewed it 6-7 times. However, there is nothing physically wrong with it as far as the appearance of the disc.

I was just curious if anyone else here has had any issues with Carrie: SE or other MGM DVDs released around that time? I really want to get another one, and I would assume the new one would likely be from a newer production run, seeing how long this has been out, right?

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I think there's a blu-ray / DVD combo of this out. Try for that one, the combo was released only a year or two ago so I'm assuming the DVDs included are newly pressed?

I bought the blu-ray before the combo pack was released, so I only own the blu-ray.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Some older MGM DVD releases had layer delamination problems. The Terminator and The Howling were two titles that I've heard of going bad before. Carrie might have also been one of them.

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

It happens occasionally,some companies like Anchor Bay have had a recall or two over the years.I know I had to send off for a replacement disc of OPERA years ago.

5. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Don't know how many Yes fans are here, but their Live at the House of Blues dvd no longer plays. I've read this happening to just about everyone who owns it.

6. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

There was a case with the original releases of Se7en and Fight Club where the aging of the paper packages interacting with the lamination of the discs turned the coating into an acid that ate through the disc. That's the only DVD I have had problems with.

But, I did lose a lot of CDs to a similar problem called "disc rot." In most cases, the Se7en and Fight Clubs discs included, the disc actually picks up a yellowish tint.

7. CPT HOOK

Could this be a future problem with eco-cases? :confused:

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Do you know if they still replace these? My Spontaneous Combustion/ Society disc skips during Spontaenous Combustion. Disc isn't scratched, looks like disc rot.

9. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

It's always possible. But, in the case with the Se7en and Fight Club discs it was a rare combination of that particular type of paper and that particular type of laminate. When they replaced the sets, the paper that they used for the case was different.

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

The only DVD I own that went bad was New Line's first Boogie Nights release. Bought in the late 90s, it stopped playing about 2-3 years ago on every player I own. No biggie since I own the Blu-ray now.

11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Anchor Bay's Opera was a problem with me, but AB had a replacement program that allowed for new copies.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I have yet to have this happen to me, but I assume one day it will. Nothing lasts forever, especially in the world of pressed dyes, lasers, and 1s and 0s.

13. CPT HOOK

That disc has been out of print for a while, so it seems unlikely. If it was something that was still in print, maybe there'd be a chance.

14. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

My The Prowler DVD, 9 times out of 10, doesn't play in regular players. It always plays in my laptop, but for some reason, it doesn't compute. :(

15. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I had a Halloween 4 DVD, from AB of course, that turned black after a year. I haven't had that problem since, but man was that weird.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

As in the actual disc turned black in colour?

17. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I got 2 discs that went bad, both old EC Entertainment releases. A Blade in the Dark has developed a lot of static in the audio that gets very distracting and Stage Fright's audio is so low that it's barely audible even with the volume up. Strangely the video on these looks fine but I know there was no way the audio was like that on them when I watched them years ago because I wouldn't have watched them if it was...

18. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I had this problem with my Devil's Advocate DVD. The movie stopped playing about half way through and then the only way to continue was to forward to a different chapter losing about 15 minutes of footage. I am the only owner of the disc and there were no scratches. I tried playing it on two computers and three DVD players all with the same results.

19. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    This keeps reminding me to look at old DVDs and check this out. Especially the MGM ones. I had The Thing go bad and wrote a nasty email to Universal and got a new one. The way I look at it, new releases, Blu-Rays, who cares, if one stops working for no reason, the studio should replace it for free. I don't want to have to buy a new one for every defective one. They sold us a bill of goods with DVD. They are supposed to last a lifetime and VHS tapes are supposed to wear out. I have VHS tapes that have lasted longer than DVDs! I know you can throw a million arguments at me about this, but like most of you, I've put too much money into the hands of these studios. That's why lately I haven't bought a lot of Blus. I buy a lot of cheap DVDs and copy a lot of rental ones as well.

20. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I think someone else mentioned that that disc was out of print but it wouldn't hurt to ask Anchor Bay.Go to their website,I think they still have a "questions" option,you could ask.
    My OPERA exchange was before the STARZ merger so Anchor Bay may well have changed their way of doing things but some years ago they were quite good about offering replacement discs.

If you bought your disc through a retail outlet or a website and it hasn't been a very long time since you got it they might be willing to exchange the disc for you or at least give you credit.

Good luck !