DVD selling advice

Discussion in 'General' started by BroodingHope, Jan 1, 2008.

1. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

It seems like whenever I'm running low on cash and the rest of my money goes towards bills that I end up selling some of my DVD's. It's never really been a problem before because I had a lot of crap cluttering my shelves that I didn't need. However, now that it's time for another round of selling, I'm finding less and less to get rid of. My question is, would you guys sell movies you love that were readily available, or movies that you may not have even watched yet that are a bit harder to find. Example, Evil Dead 2 can be found at Wal-Mart for under $8 but it's a movie I don't really want to part with, while as a movie like Sheitan, that I still haven't watched is a lot harder to find and carries a $22 price tag.

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

I would sell the ones that bring the largest bang for the buck.

I would also consider kicking the DVD buying habit for a while until you build up an emergency fund. I don't mean to sound preachy ; I used to be in your shoes, too.

3. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Wow, this sounds a lot like me. I had around 400 DVDs, sold some and got down to about 300, then rebuilt, then sold, etc., etc., etc. Story of my life.

Very rarely do I ever "re-buy" something I sold off (976-EVIL is something that comes to mind but it was really cheap, I had the money and for some reason I love that movie). Re-selling gets you a lot less than you originally got, plus sometimes you get that feeling where you want to watch it and then remember it's gone.

What I did was burn a lot of movies I never thought I'd watch again and sold them. Now if I want to see them again, I've got my burned back-ups. I've been piling up a lot but I've also been paying off my debts better than ever thanks to an upcoming wedding and future family planning. I'm crossing my fingers that I won't dig myself a hole again, but I completely get what you're saying and this is a good topic for a thread.

I would recommend going through and burning things you can live without having the *actual* copy of, then selling those.

4. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

Thanks a lot guys. It's good to know that people around here have been in my situation before. It just gets me sometimes though, I haven't bought a DVD in a little over two months, but I'm having the hardest times trying to pay bills. Usually this DVD money goes towards groceries now.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

You may want to check out Half.com, especially if you already have an eBay account as that's all you need to sell on there.

They give you a recommended sale price based on other sales, depending on your DVD you can go over or under it. When I sold Begotten originally on Half.com I matched average price but in retrospect I could have sold if for slightly more. 'Course that all depend on how scarce your DVD is.

I figure I'll do one more sale run on here after the Holidays have calmed down and then start regularly posting groups of stuff on Half.com.

6. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Or you could just shoot me a list and let me cherry pick since 98% of everything you buy is stuff I'm interested in. :glasses:

7. Sam

Sam Member

It's hard to get decent money from most catalog dvds now that aren't OOP. Game and video stores that offer cash generally offer about $0.25 to $4 max. They're OK if you're really in a scramble for 'instant money'. eBay can also be good in this regard for short 1-3 day auctions and only taking Paypal. I'd agree with the comment above about making a back up your movies if you ever get the 'bug' to purchase them again or experience separation anxiety at all.

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I was just gonna mention that some discs are basicly worthless to sell, and it's smarter to just keep them than dub ("back-up") and sell. Comsider a blank is going to cost you a quater, so why sell the real disc for a quarter? Of course many other OOP older discs, dub and sell makes perfect sense. Most old discs are single layer, so you'll have a perfect copy. Then if they're getting decent prices on ebay, you get the best of both (esp. if you have a nice printer and can scan/copy the cover if you care to). You can have your movie and money too!:)

My problem is 99% of my trade list falls into the first category. Many of them I don't even want a dub of, but can't stand those 25-50 cent offers at Gamestop. I'll just ope they go OOP and become worth something someday.

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I usually take the dvds I want to sell to work first before going through ebay. I sell them a bit higher at work and have the money right then and there.

10. Sam

Sam Member

RE: bigdaddyhorse

Agreed. I'd also prefer to not sell trivial titles. The game exchange option is probably ok for anyone who absolutely needs instant cash to top off payment for a bill or collections or is a 'broke student' etc. and in survival mode for food and basic living expenses ( been there :D ). I remember reading in one of Kurt Cobain's journal entries that he'd spend the majority of his early paychecks on vinyl LPs and go several days starving as a result.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  11. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I'd sell the titles that I really didn't care about first. Get rid of all the dross that holds little to no real value to you. Once the shelves were cleared of that I'd get rid of titles that I was les likely to re-watch. Bakcing up films that you're not going to rewatch is.. pointless, isn't it?

Basically, I feel that very few films will be "rare" in the long term. Discs go OOP, and then eventually comeback (says I, finally able to watch Atomic Submarine). OOP is simply a window of opportunity, so you have to grab the money while you can.

12. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I hate having to re-buy somthing so i usually don't sell anymore unless it was a really bad blind buy.

13. Criswell

Criswell New Member

My solution: Booze!!!

Makes any film watchable again, you have fun and you keep the disk!

14. lanemyer774

lanemyer774 Member

If you have a Moviestop near you, they have a trade in program in which you can get any new release for that week up to $20 when you trade in 4 DVDs. You should ask first if they are participating, as I heard that some have discontinued this program. Anyways, they have a list of movies & their trade in values right by the counter. New releases are usually worth $12, cash or store credit. So look at the list, trade in 4 DVDs for one of the new releases on the list, then sell it back the next day for $12. They change the list weekly, so don't hold onto those new releases for too long. Try & sell them back within the same week as their release. Basically, you'll be getting $120 for trading in 40 of your original DVDs instead of getting $20-$30. It's a little tedious, but I think it'll be worth it. Hope this helps you out.

15. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Criswell - AMEN!!

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I usually unload my junk at FYE. Then again I guess I sometimes fall into that broke college student category, but if you're looking to sell off some stuff quick they give a decent amount of money for DVD's (I think I got $15 for my Twin Peaks Season 2, which I paid $26.99 for) and give even better store credit.