DVD addiction

Discussion in 'General' started by BroodingHope, May 2, 2007.

1. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

I'm sure that I'm not the only one suffering from this on these boards. While it isn't a bad thing to constantly buy DVD's (unless you spend rent money, etc on them) it does have its downsides. For instance, I buy so many DVD's that I haven't had the chance to watch them all. Granted, this wouldn't be a big deal if the number were small. In this case it is not. Over half of my collection (roughly 250 titles) I haven't watched yet. I'm an impulse buyer and if I see something I'm remotely interested in, even if I haven't seen it (which is usually the case), I'll buy it and add to my collection. For example, I was looking through a western DVD thread on here and went out and bought The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I have never watched any westerns yet it intrigued be enough to purchase. Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to get at here is, is there anyone else on here who is remotely like this? If so, how do you deal with it? I haven't bought a DVD in two weeks to attempt to get back on track but it is difficult. Any advice would be great. And how in the hell am I going to get through 250 movies! :confused:

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

There is no cure for dvd addiction, it only gets worse... lol

3. Spacevis

Spacevis Well-Known Member

give them to me, I'll watch them for you

4. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

at the moment i must have more than 700 movies on DVD, not counting series. and yes, i have a pile of movies that i haven't watched of about 50-60 pieces. the strange thing is, that all my trashy films mostly get watched within 2 weeks of purchase, while normal A-films like The Wild Bunch, Amadeus, The Mission,... are still sitting on the shelf for more than 4 months. and the addiction never stops, why? well, because sometimes a certain title at a certain price just is too good to let it pass by!

5. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i have at least 60-80 dvds i purchased 3 years ago that i haven't watched haha, it would be a whole lot more but i've slowed down my purchases and have only bought a handfull of dvds in the last few years

6. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

It's not an "addiction", it's just something you like doing. Doing things you like doing is a good thing, and contributes to your well being - if not that of your credit card.

7. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

it's an addiction if you have no control over it and can't voluntarily stop at any given moment

8. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I know what an addiction is, and when the credit card is done, buying stops. I've yet to read about people selling their hourses, cars, breaking into homes or turning to prostitution in order to finance their DVD habit. In other words, I reckon it's simply something people like to indulge in. Like when I got into Steve Earle, and just HAD to go out and buy all his CD's in a short space of time. I wasn't addicted, I just wanted them really badly.

9. Luna

Luna Guest

That's a bit silly. I have a family friend who has a wallet full of credit cards, in varying degrees of debt, and has for at least 20 years, with sickeningly high debt in the hundreds of thousands. When the credit card is done, they get another one. It's not as simple as just one card, sadly. The addiction likely is not limited solely to DVDs, but to all forms of entertainment, anything that can be thrown on the card is. Americans are in debt like never before these days and bankruptcy is at an all-time high. You'd better believe people have had their houses foreclosed and cars taken away due to a huge appetite for general entertainment, which nowadays definitely includes DVDs and the associated home theater equipment.

Anyway, BroodingHope, just 250 DVDs? That's a piece of cake. :lol:

10. geeare

geeare Guest

ya, I like to smokle therefor...NO ADDICTION.

yes it IS an addiction and what really sucks about it is that you will have so many that you won't be able to keep them in their original cases anymore bercause you've got no room to store them therefor you put them all in sleeves which really sucks for browsing. you pretty much have to know what you want to watch and then go get it.

11. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Well, it's not the first time lately you've called me silly, so I'm getting used to it. :D

Linking to bankrupcy articles in a thread on buying DVD's (especially in one from a guy who has - GOSH - 250) is indeed, silly. Still, it's pretty much par for the course in these knee-jerk times when discussing a minor little issue for fun must of course, be a commentary on the broad economic state of individuals, States, countries, the WORLD! But hey, we have to live in our own slice of reality. :lol:

250 DVD's does not an addiction make - my advice - have fun with it. When I first got into DVD I rabidly bought - but then, when you start out there are hundreds of "must have" titles (if you're really lucky, there are a thousand or more must haves!). As time passes, those "must have" titles are acquired, and while (hopefully) new titles come out, you'll either settle down purchase wise or - enjoy your hobby mate.

If you're consumed by worry above and beyond your love of movies and DVD, then fine. But I'm not reading that in your first post - what I'm reading is that you've not got time to watch them all - we pretty much ALL have that problem, so I don't think it's quite time to bother with a really lame HTML web site that answers questions such as: What is the worst they could do?, How long will it be until I lose the asset?, What is a Statute of limitation?, The debt just goes away after six years?, Can you do pre-bankruptcy planning and asset protection?, When should I be calling an attorney?, I know I should see an attorney, but I'm so ashamed and embarrassed by my situation I can't talk to anyone about it.

Actually, thinking about it, perhaps Luna was just making a joke. :lol:

12. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

--yes it IS an addiction--

Well, my take on it is - the whole "addiction" thing is now applied far more broadly than in the past, to take into account things people simply like doing. Of course, theoretically, people could ge themselves in trouble buying DVD's - but I hardly think a guy with 250 titles qualifies.

I hear ya, geeare, but trust me, the problem you have there isn't DVD's, it's a buying compulsion (and living in too small an apartment).

13. Luna

Luna Guest

Wow, maybe you read my post wrong? In no way did I say that the original poster is actually addicted and that 250 DVDs = OMG ADDICT. In fact, I implied that 250 DVDs is nothing at all if you read my last sentence.
    I am, however, if you read my post, disputing your claim above that once the credit card is maxed out, a buying addiction is neatly wrapped up, over and done and that there are no consequences to personal debt. It's very silly to say that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2007
  14. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

But, for once trying to address the actual topic rather than pretending it's about people losing their houses - can you find me a case where someone got themselves in trouble over buying DVD's - which is the topic here? My prediction is, if the original posters credit cards stopped working, he'd stop buying DVD's. Why try to apply the logic to all people with debt? If this were a thread on bankruptcy I can see the point, but it's not. It's very silly to do that, imo. The original post, to me, is a light-hearted bit of banter, not a heart-felt plee for help because he's about to be made homeless. :D

BroodingHope: Try to make time to enjoy your movies mate. Most everyone on here has a bunch of titles they have yet to watch, some more than others, of course. It's all part of the fun mate.

15. Luna

Luna Guest

Wait, you honestly don't believe that people have gotten in debt trouble buying tons of DVDs and DVD/home theater equipment? I'd love to live in your world. :lol:

And yes, we have already established that the original poster does not have a real addiction. I believe I did that in my first post and second post and now in my third post in this thread. Does it need to be stated again? It seems you didn't catch that part the first two times. :lol:

16. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I guess you can't respond to my request, so a laugh will have to do. ;)

17. Luna

Luna Guest

World hunger, huh?! Wow, can you not Google for yourself? Is Google blocked over at your end? Do you honestly need me to Google sites on personal debt for you? :lol:

I'm laughing because you're clearly being contrary JUST to be contrary at this point. There's no way I'll ever believe that you honestly think people haven't gone into debt buying DVDs, home theater equipment and things of this nature. Honestly, all I can do is laugh at this point. :lol:

18. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

--I'm laughing because you're clearly being contrary JUST to be contrary at this point. --

What? After you went off on a tangent and linked to bankrupcy sites? :lol:

The kettle is black. :D

By the way, it's a nice trick you always try - but "Home Entertainment" and "things of this nature" are inventions of your own, and have not been mentioned in any of my posts. ;)

BroodingHope hasn't responded in the thread yet - what are the chances he's out here buying some DVD's? :D

19. Luna

Luna Guest

Wait, did I go off on a tangent or was I merely replying to an incredibly naive statement you made about "once the credit card is done that's it, no more spending or addiction"? I certainly didn't pull that out of nowhere, you know. :lol:
    Oh no, not quite. Maybe it's your rose-colored glasses that are making it look black?
    What trick? In fact, this is integral to what I'm saying. What do you think people view DVDs with? Do you think they just buy them and stare at the case? Perhaps I can spin a disc on my pinky and view the pretty pictures with the power of my mind? Jesus, this is getting so ridiculous. :lol:
    BroodingHope is probably reading the thread with jaw on the floor, too stunned to speak. I know I am. :lol:

20. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

--Wait, did I go off on a tangent or was I merely replying to an incredibly naive statement--

Yes, you did. :lol:

--What trick? In fact, this is integral to what I'm saying. What do you think people view DVDs with?--

:D Well, are there really a cases where a DVD, a TV, and a DVD have bankrupted someone? Consider me educated. :D

--BroodingHope is probably reading the thread with jaw on the floor, too stunned to speak. I know I am.--

Damn, three of us. Although it's mostly just silly. :lol: