DUAL - Riley Stearns

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Apr 28, 2022.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

From the director of the terrific The Art Of Self-Defense comes Dual. Starring Karen Gillan, Aaron Paul, and Theo James.

Now in limited theatrical release, Dual will be coming to VOD on May 20th.

2. CPT HOOK

Blu-ray and DVD on July 19th.

3. CPT HOOK

For the most part, I enjoyed this one, but in a lot of ways it felt like Stearns was repeating himself and remaking The Art Of Self-Defense with a sci-fi twist. This one didn't come close to that film, and unfortunately Karen Gillan can't handle his style of dialogue the way Jesse Eisenberg could. I might blame her getting poor direction if Aaron Paul wasn't nailing the dialogue, so ultimately I'd have to fault Gillan with being a bad actress here, which drags the movie down quite a bit with her as the lead.

This is a really difficult one to talk about without spoilers. I liked the idea of the ending, but didn't think some of it quite added up. In particular, Aaron Paul's character completely disappears from the movie, and should have been included in the finale to some capacity.

As a whole, the movie is creative and out there enough to warrant a viewing. It's more about the build-up to the duel, so don't expect some kind of big Hunger Games pay-off or anything like that. You can tell it was a pandemic movie because there are minimal characters limited to easy locations. If you haven't seen Art Of Self-Defense though, that is a vastly superior movie I can't recommend enough (pretty sure it's still on Hulu).