Drafthouse Films / Olive Films to release Noel Marshall's Roar

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Been wanting it since I read that article as well. So glad I caught this thread and the $10 pricing. Picked it up at Best Buy tonight.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

upload_2022-2-10_14-57-6.jpeg

I just finished reading this book, "Tippi: A Memoir" by Tippi Hedren. Not knowing much about her, I was hoping to learn a bit about her life, her career, and especially her experience making The Birds and Marnie. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. When it comes to her experiences growing up and as an actress, it is about as sanitized as it could be. The entire experience with Hitchcock and the two iconic films she made for him is glossed over in about 30 pages. In addition to that, she comes across as an entitled, grossly irresponsible narcissist. I did not like this book.

If you're a fan of Roar, on the other hand, then this book may be for you. It's about 260 pages long, and a full half of it (if not slightly more) is devoted entirely and without interruption to the decade they spent making that movie. I haven't seen it, and honestly have no interest in seeing it. But the level of detail that I was hoping for for Marnie and The Birds is entirely surpassed by the way she catalogues each and every maiming and accident and near-death experience that took place, never seeming to realize how reckless and naive and insane it all makes her look.

She's fucking nuts, and is just lucky that she's not long-dead or spending her twilight years in jail for causing the deaths of several others.

chancetx and X-human like this.
  4. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Interesting comments, dave. I got a copy of that book for Christmas but haven't taken a look at it. That is disappointing there's not more about The Birds or Marnie but given her well-known feelings about Hitchcock, not surprising. I've never seen Roar but it sounds like the production of the film was much more interesting than the final product so that part of the book might be a good read.

dave13 likes this.
  5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I'd love to know what you thought of it once you get around to reading it. It wasn't a hard read, but it was infuriating at times lol

6. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

You have to watch Roar. It is genuinely astonishing to see what the actors went through.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Oh no, the final product is just as crazy! The story is your typical animal-attack fare, but the execution is unlike anything I've ever seen. There's some kind of harrowing stunt happening in nearly every shot of the movie.