Does anybody use Plex?

Discussion in 'General' started by maybrick, Apr 7, 2015.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

In my endless pursuit of purging my collection of titles from my DVD collection to make more room for my family to live, I've sold off probably 100 titles I know I'll never watch again. But beyond that point I had difficulty getting rid of another category of films: things that are in my collection that I've only watched once but aren't quite ready to get rid of because I'm afraid that I'll want to watch them again sometime in the near to far flung future, but really can't justify the shelf space devoted to them. For a few years now I've wished that there was a device that had the convenience of an iPod Classic but devoted strictly to movies, but now that multi terrabyte external hard drives have come way down in price it seems like the future has finally arrived. My only concern that remain was the best way to get my films to my TV.

Enter Plex.

It's pretty simple in concept. You sign up with Plex for free, then load the app onto a device like a Roku and then you can take any video from your computer (or in my case an external hard drive) and stream it near instantaneously to your television screen. And it doesn't seem to matter what format the video is in. It plays everything I've thrown at it. I've used it for a bout a week and so far I'm very content with how it handles. Another neat (but kind of creepy) thing Plex does is it takes metadata from the files and then creates pages for them with cover art, cast and crew and synopsis. So far I've converted about a dozen films to mp4 and they look great. Any users here?

2. maybrick

I am alone.

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

:lol:

I have never heard of this but will certainly look into it. I have been interested in putting my physical media onto a couple of external hard drives and this sounds like the kind of thing I would enjoy since it seems very user-friendly. I know almost nothing about Roku/Apple TV/etc. and never understood why people would really want one...but this makes sense to me.

4. Enutz666

Enutz666 Member

I've been using Plex for a couple years...absolutely love it. I like that I can log in at a friends house and watch my movies there

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Can either of you recommend a brand of external drive? I'll never ditch my discs, but I love the idea of being able to stream my library.

6. maybrick

I've had a 1tb Toshiba external for two years now that does the job. Even with all my backups I have enough room for 500-600 films if I compress them to an average of 1gb MP4 files. I wouldnt know how it compares to other hard drives. LaCie makes them but I'd never trust one on account that I bought an external CD/DVD burner ages ago that didn't even last a year.

Does anybody here use the AppleTV for the same function? I wonder how married the streaming is to iTunes.

7. maybrick

I’m a little surprised that so much time has passed since creating this thread, but I’m really tired of using Plex. It’s changed into primarily a generic Crackle style app with ads, and it irritatingly forces me to update it every other week otherwise it won’t connect to my catalog. I’d still love to hear from anybody that might be using AppleTV for the same function of pulling movies from your harddrive wirelessly.

8. sade

sade Active Member

I use Mezzmo instead to stream my MP3 & MP4 files from my computers

9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Plex is cool for standard iTunes type music and video streaming for sure, but it has its limits. I do like that there’s a PS4 app for it too.
    What I don’t like is it doesn’t play ISO’s and you can’t get it to recognize subfolders. For example, if you like the Grateful Dead, typically you would have them as an artist in a root folder, then sub folders for years (1977, 1978, 1979, etc.) and then those shows within. Otherwise you’d have a folder with thousands of concerts in it - that’s what Plex does . Terrible organization options. You can have a folder layout on the server, but none of the apps support it so what’s the point.

I use Subsonic to get around this and it works great with Sonos.

As for the ISO’s, I could just convert them to MP4’s, but I’ve just been hooking a laptop up to my TV via HDMI and play them over my internal network, or copy them local.