Devil - New M. Night Shyamalan production

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Jul 13, 2010.

1. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Agreed. Near garbage. The notable spooky moments might have suffered a lone burden of overly drawn out tragedy flashbacks that set the mood. But the attempt to recover from the heavy hammer of "see, tragedy caused him to lose faith, get it yet?" gets knocked out cold by some truly head spinning nonsense moments. Alien invaders that show up in mass, but then waste their time sneaking around rural farmhouses and get taken out by squirt guns and baseball bats. And that whole near comedic farce serves as the epiphany of restoration of faith.

All in all one long, tedious, and glaringly unsubtle establishment of character mood spaced with glaciar passed tension build (with teaser shocks serving as a defibrillator to the film's pacing cardiac arrests) finally leading to a "what the fuck?" resolution. Nothing distinguishes this film from the countless others that also spun too much film reel taking themselves way too seriously only to then toss at the camera a dead rat dressed in a clown suit just before rolling final credits.

Maybe I am in the minority. Though a 3 1/2 star Amazon rating, a 6.9 on IMDB, and 74% on Rotten Tomatoes is a long way from a general declaration of a "great film", so that "minority" is probably more sizeable than you allude. But several reviewers panned the film when it came out, and it killed the Shyamalan streak for me long before I even considered what he would work on next. Signs was the crack in the glass that lead to Shyamalan bashing, not a film that suffered from latter reputation damage.

2. meljon

meljon New Member

I'm glad to see every one that's actually posted about the movie "Devil" and not Shyamalan's older films, terrorists, or racism, were not completely let down by this film. Like I posted earlier, I thought this was a really good film. I'm curious to read about what the rest you guys that see it, think about it.

3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Didn't care for Devil. In line with everything Shyamalan has directed since The Village. If it had stayed in the elevator the whole time it could've been a claustrophobic mystery, but instead it focuses on characters running around outside the devil elevator explaining everything that's happening. There were also some terrible lines such as "When the devil's around, toast lands jelly side down." Really? The devil can't do something cooler than ruin your toast?

4. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Seriously?! Wow, well, I guess if God can be sitting around watching football and granting touchdowns to wide receivers for certain affiliations over others, then I suppose the Devil can be watching your toast burn. They are omnipresent, after all.

5. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

No, I'm with you on that one as well. Signs was laughably bad, there were far too many overly convenient and logic-defying plot setups to be taken seriously. Ignoring the fact the entire invasion was a plot hole, the whole "Oh, don't leave glasses full of water ALLLLL over the house, honey, wink wink" and "Swing away" nonsense. Oi. One of the biggest facepalm moments in recent memory.

6. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

You guys need to get this straight -- Shyamalan did NOT direct Devil, he only wrote the premise and produced it. Brian Nelson (30 Days of Night, Hard Candy) wrote the screenplay, while the Dowdle Brothers (Quarantine) directed the film.

As for the film, it's decent. It's short, to the point, and a bit unsettling. The premise is a bit gimmicky, but it's an original idea nonetheless.

7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

*opens door, looks into room, sees everyone fighting, quietly shuts door and walks out*

8. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

74% on RottenTomatoes is an exceptional score for a "genre" film and the IMDB score was MUCH higher prior to the release of other Shyamalan films. As a matter of fact, I remember that it hovered around 7.4 shortly after the release of the Village (when its downturn had already begun).
    Cleary Signs is a victim of retro-active distaste just like Blair Witch Project. For BWP, everyone loved the film until it came to so saturate popular culture that it became the "hip" thing to hate on... and suddenly everyone who loved the film previously now panned it. For Signs, it wasn't distaste for the film itself but for its director and his later failures that led to the same subsequent re-envisioning. Earlier Shyamalan films that had found precious few detractors now found themselved in the midst of an "open season" as it became fashionable to trash everything Shyamalan had ever laid lens upon. As such, this is no more a realistic appraisal of this film's virtues then it is for BWP.

9. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Sounds an awful lot like the description of a certain film that tosses a midget in a red rain slicker at the camera just before rolling the final credits...
    But few of us here would dare criticize that masterpiece.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

There are 148 Million Muslims living in India right now, that's half the population of the United States. But apparently that's insignificant to your Western eyes because they're Muslims, they're Indians, and they're Eastern. You're only as significant as Anthropophagus sees you. The deaths of a thousand Muslims in a riot by Hindus may be over looked by Westerners like you Anthropophagus because they weren't Westerners who died on 9/11, but not by me. Muslims and Hindus in religious wars are insignificant unless Anthropophagus deems it so.

There we go again, apparently only Muslims are capable of terrorist actions and the only terrorist acts worth discussing are those that happen to Westerners. "Don't talk to me unless someone from the West dies by Muslims hands." Is that it? Typical closed minded Westerner thoughts. I find your arrogance, selfishness and lack of insight deeply offensive.

Tell me why is M. Night Shyamalan incapable of crashing an airplane into a building? If he can turn a movie into a bomb, why not an airplane into a bomb? What genetic defect of his rich, dynamic and proud heritage prevents him from crashing an airplane? I, sir, am of the full belief that M. Night is just as capable as any Muslim in being able to crash a plane. We'll go over to his house and watch him crash MS Flight Simulator right now but I doubt it would satisfy your unquenchable bile of hate speak.

Only a true bigot would think someone incapable of crashing a plane. Next you'll tell me Buddhists can't crash planes either. You make me sick.

Hey, I ended my post by bringing it back to the discussion. I am deeply insulted by your hurtful accusations that I am off topic. It's those Nazi racists who are keeping things off track. It's people like Anthropophagus who run death camps.

11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I know Shyamalan didn't direct it. Even if he did, it would still be a bad movie. I know some people (myself included) were thinking this would be better than his recent directorial output since he didn't actually write or direct it, which is why I said it was as bad as everything he's done since The Village, to warn them.

12. KGBRadioMoskow

Don't Look Now succeeded regardless of the left field ending. And it was because of the mystery, the well executed build up - everything Signs bungled so ineptly.

Hardly, Don't Look Now has taken a few lumps here, most especially for the WTF ending. I'm still uncertain whether the intent was a cheap shock on an otherwise decent film (which would be a true shame), or if the writer/director intended it to be a blatent and hideous destruction of the main character's absurdly wrong assumptions.

In any case, I personally only rated Don't Look Now as 2.5/4, grudgingly I might toss it a 3/4 on a good day. Amazon ratings about match that latter. Signs isn't even in the ballpark of that film, and doesn't deserved to be.

13. meljon

meljon New Member

I think the thing about the toast is more a cultural thing. My girlfriend, who is white, has never heard any of those types of sayings, but me being hispanic, I've heard them all. Stuff like"dont chew gum after dark because you're chewing dead people's bones" or "when the sun is shining and it's raining that means the devil is beating his wife". I thought it was a nice superstitious touch.

14. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I was aware of that when I posted this thread. The original title read "Devil (2010)" and nothing else.
    However, my thread got merged with a second thread that had the "New M. Night Shyamalan" title - exactly something I was trying to avoid when I made mine. No biggie though, as I'm sure most people know Shyamalan didn't actually direct Devil.

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

Thread's getting a little hot, but it's undeniably entertaining. Keep up the discussion, just refute points rather than defaming character. I don't want you guys flying planes into each other's houses...

Helly, when I merged the threads I went with the M. Night title, because, let's face it, that's what people have been talking about here. Plus, makes it easier to find in a search rather than just looking for "Devil". I'll clarify the title a bit more though, just cuz.

16. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

This is why I love this forum. Anywhere else and there would be deleted posts and thread locks everywhere.

Anyway, any time I think of M. Night Shyamalan, I think of the great episode It's Always Sunny did about getting a part in one of his movies. :lol:

17. KGBRadioMoskow

I've tried that. Doesn't have the same shock factor when the plane is just an RC model.

18. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I liked Lady in the Water [​IMG]

What?!? It was a good Sunday afternoon hangover movie.

19. Drama Queen Die

Drama Queen Die Banned Mofo

If someone is going to fly a plane into my house it had better be Randy Rhoads. And Indian or not anyone could be a Muslim. Look at the president a good portion of the country believes that asshead is. Maybe if people quit trying to be so damn politically correct then realities could start being faced. If being a redneck hick means you have a job and your very own thought process than yeeeeeeeeeeeee haw.

20. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Just came back from the film. Probably spoilers herein, so you are forewarned.

I was unengaged by Devil. What could have been a very good short film falls into the same trap the original Saw did, in that it did not have enough to sustain interest for an hour and a half and thus had to go outside the elevator/room. It then becomes somewhat of a hybrid thriller/disaster movie, akin to the Towering Inferno or Airport, with neither side being developed enough to be fully interesting. An earlier poster stated disbelief in the devil choosing an elevator of five people to wreak havoc upon, but the same could be said for Regan MacNeil and the Exorcist. In Da Verzhun Uv Neva Seen, Merrin explains that the devil's, or Pazuzu's, intent was to make a small group of people lose faith in humanity and in God. Keeping such in mind, five strangers trapped in an elevator could be a fairly potent conceit. Where these two films differ are in their execution. Exorcist is a (relatively) quiet film about a man who loses and regains his faith, whereas Devil is a noisy actioner of blunt-force, everybody-hurts melodrama - a device I have been tired of for some time and of which Night is among the most egregious abusers.

This is a short film that has been padded by many of the trappings we in the horror community have come to despise: CGI, loud setpieces, quick cutting, unfocused plotting, and an overall glossly sheen that detracts from the atmosphere that is so integral to making a good horror film.

And readers beware; the opening credits threatened this is part one of "The Night Chronicles."