Devil - New M. Night Shyamalan production

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Jul 13, 2010.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I agree. The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were so good, that expectations were very high for each film. The comparisons to Hitchcock didn't do M. Night any favors. I didn't care for Signs or The Village. After The Happening, I don't think I'll give him another chance. That was the worst film of the decade.

2. killit

killit Active Member

See I LOVED signs and the village, I honestly thought that was one hell of a twist. But I fucking hated unbreakable, like way more than the happening and I hated the happening

3. Spit

Spit Active Member

Wow...a movie called 'Devil' came out yesterday and not one of us horror freaks has gone out to see it and report back? Thats a real testament to the general consensus on M. Nights current work.

4. Spit

Spit Active Member

Don't listen to Mr.Fuck. I thought it was a good quip.

5. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Typical ignorant remark and the reason a majority of the world has come to view the US as an inbred, hick infested cesspool. Nice too that you'd bring this up on the anniversary month of September 11th-very classy.
    Sorry, but if you want to indulge in stereotypes be prepared to have it dealt back to you, and furthermore as another poster has mentioned he was born in India which has hardly been a major player in the international terror scene and which has also been a major adversary of Pakistan and much of fundamentalist Islam.
    A little education goes a long way.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

My family and I went to see this movie yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit. I've always liked Shyamalan's work, though The Happening (or whatever it was called) wasn't up to par with the rest of the films. The film seemed like it was shot for very few dollars, so it'll probably make a major profit in that aspect. Everyone bitches about remakes, and this is an ORIGINAL movie, so go out and support it!! As for the PG13 rating, to be quite honest, I don't think this movie really needs a higher rating.

7. Franco

Franco Weekender

Totally agree.

8. Saint

Saint New Member

I've pretty much given up on M. Night. The Happening and The Last Airbender took away the last of my good will.

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

After that pile of shit called Lady in the Water, Sham is lucky I'd even bother to see one his films again. Then I saw The Happening in the theater, and while I found it unintentionally hilarious, I swore off anything else this fucking guy does.

I'll check the blu out from the library, and even that is more than I feel I should. Dude may've had a little magic in him at the beginning, but he keeps getting worse and recently, never fails to disappoint.

10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I read it more as "Sham is a terrorist, but a different kind, the kind who attacks us with horrible movies while we all hope he can make another good one, since he did make a couple/few good ones".
    Now he's holding us all hostage, but he forgot to tie us down. Anyone not want to be in the building when he crashes into it? Just get up and leave! I did.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

You're a racist if you don't think an Indian can crash an airplane just was well as any Muslim.

India has the world's third largest population of Muslims; not a major player? Al-Qaeda had orchestrated the recent shooting spree in Mumbai so go educate yourself while you're at it. There are constant religious riots between Muslims and Hindus in India, but that's not in your backyard so I guess it doesn't count. Are you so egotistical to think terrorists attacks on Western culture are all that matters?

Stop being so ignorant, Western centered and stereotypical. Realize that terrorism can affect anybody; especially those audience members forced to watch Shyamalan's latest shitfest worldwide.

12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Go educate yourself, asshole and if anyone's a racist it's you if you're insinuating that a dark skinned film director may be a potential terrorist by virtue of being from South Asia. The reference was to 9/11 which happened in North America, where was there any allusion to Hindu/Muslim conflict in that post? Point it out, fucking whiner. Try to inject some sense into your argument.
    Fact: India is predominantly Hindu with a relatively small Muslim population. India, if anything, has been the target of Pakistani rooted Muslim fundamentalism for centuries before it even entered the Western world as we know it. Ever hear of Kashmir? It's more than a Led Zeppelin song, genius.
    Shyamalan is Hindu, in case you did not know and oddly enough attended Roman Catholic school.
    Name me a couple of significant Hindu terrorist attacks on Western shores? Then we'll talk.That's what the original insinuation was about wasn't it-9/11, Western culture. Even the Air India flight bombing over Lockerbie was the work of a Sikh minority, not Hindu. Learn the difference between Hindus and Muslims, and furthermore sure an Indian can perpetrate a terror attack just like an American, Timothy McVeigh anyone?
    The fact that Hindu terrorism is nearly non-existent was apparently lost upon you. Sure there's conflict between Pakistan and India, similar to Northern Ireland and Britain, don't try to convince anyone that India is a hotbed for international terrorism synonymous with Afghanistan/Pakistan/Iran-that's just bullshit and the epitome of ummmm..uneducated and ignorant.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  13. Criswell

Criswell New Member

mmmmmm Maybe 2 hits then, i did like Unbreakable, but Signs???? ugh!!!!:fire: forget that poie of crap. :cry: i still cry over the money i wasted that night.

14. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Signs is a great film. If you can ignore some potential large gaps in logic (I go into any film of this nature with a willing suspension of disbelief) then this film provides great atmosphere, creepy imagery (the "handicam" reveal is legendary) & a reasonable sense of suspense with fantastic performances from talented actors. I think you will definitely find yourself in the minority...
    In fact, almost everyone praised this film before its directors went on to ham-fist his next several films and it became popular to "hate on" Shyamalan.

15. Darkside

Darkside New Member

Got a chance to catch this over the weekend and I too tried to go in with an open mind. It was not bad for the rating and really did seem to be marked for the teen crowd with it's quick jumps and humor. Does not make up for "The Last Airbender" but is going in the right direction for Sham.

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Shhhhhh!

Adults here are trying to have a movie discussion.

17. Darkside

Darkside New Member

LMAO!

The rest of us ignore the elephant in the room, meanwhile Baggio is riding it like Slim Pickens on an atom bomb. Bravo sir!

18. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I saw this over the weekend and kind of liked it. Maybe that's the key, Shyamalan should produce and write films and leave the directing to someone else.

19. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster Member

That is exactly what happened to me too, all the way across the coast in South Carolina. Like I said in my review (shameless plug):

20. Drama Queen Die

Drama Queen Die Banned Mofo

You sure set me straight! For this I will offer you advice on how to get laid. Jackass!