DEADLY BLESSING and THE NEST from Scream Factory 1/22!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I didn't read a lot of it, just the video quality review, but I see they pretty much gave everything a 3/5. His complaint about the picture quality is more like "it's not Avatar" then anything else. While there may be some over processing it's well balance and not compressed to hell. 3/5 seems to expect too much.

But what's the beef with the 3/5 for extras? What more do you want? Sure you can nitpick the video down to 3/5 if you're being anal but this includes a commentary track, about an hour of video extras, trailers, spots, photo gallery... WTF else could they do?

Blu-ray.com is pretty worthless as a whole. I glance the forums because info breaks there first sometimes but that's about all the value I can find there. It's mostly baseless bitching alternated with another person asking for the 1000th time if the discussed Blu-ray release is region free.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

In their review for the movie ATM, I seem to recall them referencing a filmmaker by the name of Albert Hitchcock. :lol:

4. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

Maybe the reviews are writen by Pitbull :D

"Watch him make a movie like Albert Hitchcock, ha enjoy me"

PITBULL - I KNOW YOU WANT ME

5. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

i usually trust dvd talk, but they are always late on reviews..

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

The screencaps look pretty good to me. I disagree with their assessment of the film as 'simply not very interesting'. Even though Deadly Blessing is a black sheep in the Craven catalog it is at the very least interesting, with solid performances. It was a departure from the over the top violence of Last House and Hills and it's interesting to see Craven tackle a different type of film. Just my opinion and I'm not even that huge a Craven fan.

8. fceurich39

and it also has infamous between the legs shower shot that was in Nightmare on Elm Street 3 years later!

9. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

You know, I would have thought Deadly Friend was the black sheep of the Craven catalogue, or better yet, The Hills Have Eyes Part II. :)

10. Anthropophagus

Good point, I always noticed that too.

11. Anthropophagus

That's why I said 'a' not 'the' black sheep. I would definitely pick Deadly Friend as my personal Craven black sheep, but even though Deadly Blessing has a strong cult following it never got the acclaim or genre fan devotion that Last House, Hills, Nightmare or Scream got.
    Cursed is just a piece of crap, not a black sheep.

12. Anthropophagus

Anyone know why amazon.ca is shipping this as of today, when all other websites and retailers list the 22nd?

13. Drinkinstein

Drinkinstein Member

I'm pretty sure they aren't, they just hadn't updated their releases date. I had an order in just in case I could get it early, changed to "not in stock, order now and we'll ship when available" just today... :(

14. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

Pretty sure mine's shipping today...

Checked last night and status was "SHIPPING SOON" - I only see that the day before something goes out. And the sweetest part is I'm getting the Blu for $13.99 CAN! That's the price Amazon.ca listed when it first went up for pre-order.

(This is DEADLY BLESSING, not THE NEST)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  15. Drinkinstein

Drinkinstein Member

Well that's odd, Deadly Blessing is apparently shipping early too!

16. Anthropophagus

There's definitely something weird at amazon.ca, up until yesterday they also had The Nest as being released today. Now it says temporarily out of stock.
    I was also super hyped to get the new Rolling Stones Crossfire Hurricane documentary on Blu-Ray, yesterday it stated January 15th, even though no mention of a North American release on amazon.com or my local dvd shop. Today, it is also temporarily out of stock.
    Furthermore, there is no correct release date listed for The Nest and it does not have the usual 'more coming soon' usually listed when stock is exhausted.
    Weird.
    However, those that do get it early do fill me in on your thoughts of the Deadly Blessing Blu-Ray.
    Ok? thank you.
    Anthro.

17. fceurich39

here in the usa the nest comes out feb 19th i think but seen a few online sites say jan 15th and han 22nd

18. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

Deadly Blessing is in stock at Amazon Canada since my copy was shipped 30 minutes ago, but The Nest isn't in stock (but I think this one was delayed by Shout untill next month).

Would like to, but as I've ordered the complete five seasons of Angel in that order and I plan to watch it first I'm sure you'll get it before I'll watch it.

19. Anthropophagus

Thanks, I just ordered it myself.
    I was going to follow my tradition of actually going down to HMV next Tuesday and buying it, believing strongly in supporting the remaining actual 'physical' cd and dvd shops. However, since I just read that HMV has declared bankruptcy it seems futile now. Sad to see them go. Conflicting reports say that today's British bankruptcy filing may or may not affect Canadian outlets, however I just read a good source from Toronto that states that indeed the Canadian stores will start closing in the Spring.
    Sucks!! I miss my Sam The Record Man, Discus, Music World, Phantasmagoria, Rock En Stock, A&A Records and Tapes.

20. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

Mine shipped yesterday afternoon as well. Amazon.ca is always much, much slower than .com to update release dates when there has been a delay. I'd imagine in this case there was a week's delay, they hadn't update it, and then just shipped out because they had the product in stock.