De Palma's Sisters

Discussion in 'General' started by Andrew, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I finally watched this, the rare blindspot for me with notable 70s thrillers/horror; and only because it was a gift from a co-worker (the criterion blu). It's not that it's not without a spark but I mean, was ANYONE deceived/caught off guard by what the outcome/twist was? Like 10 minutes in I knew the whole plot. THE WHOLE PLOT. I appreciate DePalma but would not necessarily call myself a "fan"... It was just OK for me.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

That was my original impression too. I thought it was terrible the first time I saw it. But a decade or more later when Kidder died I watched it again with low expectations and ended up thoroughly enjoying the bumbling detective narrative.

Don't know how I'd feel about it again but I'm happy to leave it on good terms.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I wasn't impressed with it when I first saw it either. I kept thinking there must be more to this as the "twist" isn't really a twist at all.

4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I know I saw Sisters before. But I can't remember it except for maybe a nude scene in the opening that surprised me. I'm going to do a rewatch of all of the director's movies one day.

5. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

I love it - one of De Palma's best movies. I think of this as his hybrid thriller/art film with one of his best uses of split screen.

Who cares about the plot when we are watching such a stylish movie? Do we complain about knowing the whole plot when we are rewatching a movie?

Myron Breck likes this.