De Palma's Sisters

Discussion in 'General' started by Andrew, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I need some advice. I'm interested in checking out SISTERS but it isn't available to rent so I may just have to buy it. However, I'm not sure if it's something I'd like. I recently rewatched DRESSED TO KILL and found if very average, and then saw BODY DOUBLE which was pretty lame as well. From this I'm guessing that I won't enjoy any of De Palma's "erotic thrillers." In fact, the only movie I have really enjoyed from him is BLOW OUT, which I thought was excellent. Now I've heard SISTERS is a more serious film, without the cheese and melodrama present in some of his other movies. So basically, I'm wondering where this film fits into De Palma's ouevre. Any help would be appreciated.

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Sisters is a masterpiece. I would compare it to Psycho, even if it is a cliche thing to do. It is serious, although a few chuckles can be derived from Margot Kidder's irritating accent, but the film is well made and often frightening (particularly the hallucination sequence). I'd recommend a purchase; didn't this go down in price recently or something?

3. Big Bobby D

Big Bobby D Guest

I've never seen it, but, I've seen some of Depalma's other movies. He's a pretty good filmmaker. But why does everybody say his movies are like Psycho?, from Sisters, to Dressed To Kill, Blowout, Body Double, let me guess, his newer one, Femme Fetale is like Psycho as well?!
    :blabla: :banana:

4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Yes. Every single one of his films are exact duplicates of Psycho!

A little bit of sarcasm there. ;) It's not that his films are just like Psycho, but rather imitations of many Hitchcock films (Body Double is like Rear Window, Obsession is like Vertigo, Dressed to Kill is a mixture of many). Not that I mind, since I happen to think De Palma's films are a bit more entertaining than Hitchcock's. Actually, I happen to think Femme Fatale is one of his only thrillers that doesn't really reference Hitchcock in some way.

5. Big Bobby D

Big Bobby D Guest

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just hate the way everybody wants to say his movies are like Psycho. I mean, was Phantom Of The Paradise?
    I'm sure some would say yes, since it has a shower scene!
    :blabla: :banana:

6. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

I'm not a huge DePalma fan but "Sisters" is one of his best movies and is definitely worth seeing. First it is one of DePalma's earliest thrillers and is consequently fresher and lacks the self-parody I find in his more recent efforts. Second it has more depth than normal and the dream/hallucination sequence towards the end is actually quite impressive.

I would say that it is not as stylish or flamboyant as "Dressed to Kill" but feels more realistic.

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Sisters is very different from De Palma's later work. It still contains his two trademarks, voyeurism and split screens. (a lot of the split screen stuff will remind you of the hospital scene in Kill Bill Vol. 1) The only thing I really found in common with other Hitchcock films was maybe one moment in Rear Window (take a wild guess) and Bernard Hermann doing the score. I enjoyed it, but then again, I love Body Double. I'd say buy it, most seem to like it.

8. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Sisters is without a doubt DePalma's best film as far as I'm concerned. It contains some of the most brilliant psychological horror I've come across, and the performances are all quite remarkable. Kidder and Salt are definitely the standouts, and their performances help the film to excel even further into greatness. Their is also some disturbing imagery throughout, most prominent in a hallucination towards the end of the film, but not limited to just that segment. There's also some nice underlying themes in the film that I'll let you discover for yourself, and I must say that I find this film's score to be the best to grace a DePalma film. How fitting that its also in his best film to date.

Anyways, there's no way I'd be without the Criterion disc. Your mileage may vary.

9. Atmims

Atmims Guest

IMO most of Depalma's films are average at best, and I hated Dressed to Kill. I don't remember liking Sisters any more than his other work so personally I wouldn't recommend it unless you could get it cheap.

10. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

I bought Sisters on an impusle whim, and I don't regret it one bit, but then, I like vintage movies.

If you're either into classic 70's cinema or De Palma, this is one of the shining examples. A fine film that I would definitely recommend.

11. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Alright, I guess I may pick it up. Since it's a Criterion I could probably get rid of it (and get most of my money back) without too much of a problem. Thanks for all the responses.

12. Atmims

Atmims Guest

After the positive comments I decided to revisit Sisters today (first time since the Criterion DVD was released). The first half was great but I can't say it's anything more than just average overall.
    Andrew, if you want to buy my Criterion DVD, just let me know.

13. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I actually have to say that I like De Palma's films and think that Sisters is a must if you are interested in his movies. It is well done even if the story is a little straight forward in comparison to other De Palma films. Margot Kidder as usual turns in a very good performance and the actor who plays her ex husband/doctor is very creepy and does a good job.

14. depalma is one of the few film-makers that can do the same style as hitchcock, but put his own spin on it.

Some claim his films a rip-offs, but I think he never intends for them to be anything more than homages, and variates on the same type of formula.

He's very talented. Even his later effort "Femme Fatale" was amazing.

Blow Out, Sisters, Dressed to Kill, Body Double. All are pretty good. Sisters is easily the best of the bunch.

15. Ryan, it's not directly referencing a hitchcock film, but Rebecca is clearly channeling a hitchcock leading lady type of character in Femme Fatale. The style of storytelling is very similar to something hitchcock would have done.

16. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Cujo, I know you said this is your favorite and that I should get this (which I have). I can only hope that it is better than Dressed To Kill (which I liked a lot and had similarites to Carrie shot wise and music wise).

17. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Watched this last night again for the first in like 25 years. Decent flick overall, but I absolutely love this scene (especially 1:35-153 - Kidder plays an excellent nut!!!)

Spoiler scene...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsjAYJf8t3E

18. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

One of my favorite DePalma's,very stylish, twisted and with a very dark sense of humour.Strong cast including Jennifer Salt (who went on to produce NIP/TUCK) and a pre SUPERMAN Margot Kidder.Also features Charles Durning (later in DePalma's THE FURY) and DePalma fave William Finlay (PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE,THE FURY,THE BLACK DAHLIA).Look fast for Olympia Dukakis as a bakery worker.Bernard Herrmann's sinister score was one of his last.One key murder scene inspired a similar one a decade later in PSYCHO 2.For those who like to draw out the Hitchcock influences in DePalma's work the film would have the closest ties to PSYCHO and REAR WINDOW.
    It has a creepy originality all it's own,though.

19. make believe

make believe New Member

Sisters is such an excellent film and I'm not even a Depalma fan really (other than Carrie).

I never did see Body Double though, perhaps I should.

20. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Classic De Palma and classic 70's sleaze cinema.