Culture Shock Releasing (New Label - union of Lo-Fi Video & Verboden Video)

Discussion in 'General' started by Katatonia, Dec 29, 2020.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Street date on Goodnight God Bless was March 5th, but two weeks later and crickets. No shipping notice or anything?

Anyone get theirs?

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

https://www.facebook.com/cultureshockreleasing/posts/210692807504369

[​IMG]

...and an email update sent on 3/19:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  3. Katatonia

https://www.facebook.com/cultureshockreleasing/posts/226347415938908

[​IMG]

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Katatonia

My pre-order of Goodnight God Bless arrived today. It seems they've learned since their last pre-order, and are now shipping things in boxes with a lot of bubble wrap as protection. Needless to say, it arrived mint this time! :)

5. Katatonia

Goodnight God Bless was friggin' bizarre.

I doubt any of the following would be true "spoilers" or reveal anything important, but...

A "Canadian" production, but shot in the UK? The main actor fakes a horrible "US" accent to the point you just hate his guts... and why is an American even working 100% as a UK police officer? I don't really see why they bothered making him an "American" in the first place...it served absolutely no purpose in the script at all. There's some odd plot holes in the film.

I had heard that the film has one of the "most shocking openings in cinema ever" but it seemed rather tame and mostly shot off camera/edited, even by 1987 standards. It's not like there was much blood/gore in this one.

... the very end confessional shot of the film was cool, but I'll be damned if I could even understand what the "voice" was saying even after rewinding it a couple of times.

I'm still trying to process this one. I attempted to listen to the commentary track, but the two "film critics" got annoying really fast. I do still need to read the included booklet, so perhaps that will be a worthwhile read?

Edit: Okay, the booklet (a textual Interview really) is definitely enlightening. The "director" had never shot a film before, and just up and left during filming to go to Cannes to sell the picture in advance, leaving other crew to direct about 25% of the film. The script was written on the fly, the budget was apparently very low, etc..

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. Katatonia

Now, Death Collector... I do own the old DVD from Media Blasters, and it's a pretty cool movie. 4K scan? Nice!

https://www.facebook.com/cultureshockreleasing/posts/228637152376601

[​IMG]

baggio, Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  7. Katatonia

8. Katatonia

https://www.facebook.com/cultureshockreleasing/posts/270989158141400

Coming to the Culture Shock Releasing label are two never before on disc SOV films - Streets of Death (1988) & Night Ripper (1986) both directed by Jeff Hathcock.

In STREETS OF DEATH two serial killers disguised as student filmmakers start shooting snuff movies in which they torture and kill hookers and sell the tapes to a sleazy merchant.

In NIGHT RIPPER a masked killer named “Ripper” stalks and kills off models in very disturbing ways. A local photographer gets involved as one of the models he’s photographed in the past becomes a victim.

If you’ve seen Jeff’s other film VICTIMS! you will surely like these and you know what you’re getting into. As a special treat for Seinfeld fans both films feature a young Larry “No Soup For You” Thomas and really showcase his acting chops.

Info on art, disc(s) specs and more will be released soon.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

russweiss likes this.