Criterion - Blu-ray Release Thread

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by baggio, Jan 16, 2019.

1. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Didn't work for me. The first two films are landmarks (the second IMO being the better). I've owned those on VHS, DVD, hunted down the Kam & Ronson blu set when I found out about it, and may pony up again if the Criterion is solid (despite their reputation, they don't *always* make a re-buy worth it). The third film is pretty good, but not measuring up to the first two and if it wasn't usual to get the three in a set I might not have upgraded past DVD. The fourth and fifth I never bothered to upgrade past VHS (and discarded those), and the sixth (China and America) was a late purchase on blu that I am ambivalent about.

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

The biggest difference for parts 4 and 5 is that Jet Li no longer plays Wong Fei-Hong. He is replaced by Zhao Wenzhuo. All of the films feature great martial arts choreography (as long as you don't mind wirework) so if you are a fan of that style they are well worth watching. Li reappears as Fei-Hong in Once Upon a Time in China and America which was the final and weakest entry in the series.

3. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Thanks for the info. Love the first three so may get this set. I need to get back into watching martial arts movies.