Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 1, 2007.

1. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

IMO, Mr.Sardonicus may very well be Castle's best film, you gotta check it out. The Tingler is really good too, Vincent Price + LSD= good times...you'll see what I mean.:D

13 Ghosts and Strait Jacket are pretty decent too, haven't seen Zotz or The Old Dark House.

2. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

Mr. Sardonicus is a great film, William Castle or not. I would definitely check that one out.

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

OK, Sardonicus and Tingler it is, gents. Thanks for the tips.

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Unless you enjoyed the likes of Mommy Dearest, I'm not so sure you should even bother with Strait Jacket. But, unless you hate Mr. Sardonicus, save the set and one day when you are really, really bored- pull out Strait-Jacket. Especially on a Sunday afternoon. Make popcorn, turn up the volume, be alone. Let its' lazy charms take you in.

As for the rest of the set, I really loved 13 Ghosts. Did you see his version of House on Haunted Hill? If you haven't- you must (it's essential), and if you have and liked it, try 13 Ghosts. I'd easily rate it above The Tingler (mostly because Price's evil, scheming wife in that film can't hold a candle to Carol Ohmart! And 13 Ghosts doesn't even try to bring that cliche back- plus, it's a lot of fun to watch the "Ghost Viewer" scenes in blue screen tint).

As for me, I finally made my way over to Netflix: Watch Instant and saw The Video Dead (which has intrigued me since I found the House of Horrors website and they put it in their "Bathroom" section alongside Bad Taste and Killer Klowns from Outer Space, which I also love). It was fantastic! I loved it.

I also watched the Masters of Horror season 2 installment We All Scream for Ice Cream, which was terrible.

5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    AN AMERICAN HAUNTING - okay except for that shitty TV victim-of-the-week explaination for the hauntings. LAZY!!!!! Sick of writers using that same stand-by to explain away the reason for the horror!

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

thank you

7. DVD-fanatic-9

You're welcome. Here's some extra incentive for 13 Ghosts: The Wicked Witch of the West, Margaret Hamilton as a psychic / medium. And a seance scene.

By the way, this actually occurred to me yesterday after I made that post - is the box arranged in a bunch of flipper discs? Or does every movie get its' own slimcase case? Because I guess if they fliipper'd the movies, they might have cheaped you into just the black-and-white print. Or did the set come with the handheld Ghost Viewer?

Went back to Netflix and watched:

Tales from the Script - which I did mainly for the Uwe Boll Bloodrayne gossip from American Psycho's Guinevere Turner. She appears throughout but doesn't say anything about American Psycho. Masters of Horror's John Carpenter, Mick Garris, and Larry Cohen show up too, as well as Michael Wolk (writer of John Landis's Innocent Blood, with not much good to say about the experience), and the writer of The Grudge. It's a documentary, so the material speaks for itself.

Sugar Hill - not all that I was expecting, but DAMN I forgot it was PG. It stinks for about the first 40 minutes but then the murders get more flashy (naturally, starting with the pigs scene) and it finally got a lot more entertaining. Fun, even. Especially the field scene (which almost made me jump- great music stings) and the bar killing. Cheers: Zara Cully, Don Pedro Colley, the Fulci-esque camerawork during the raising of the dead, "He's a greedy God," the music score, and the wardrobe. Jeers: the awful 'chick fight' scene, Betty Anne Rees entirely, the phony attempts at racial tension.

And re-watched Alice, Sweet Alice last week. It is so damn amazing what one simple re-watch can do. I didn't like the film at all the first time. This time, I had a ball. I still think the Mr. Alphonse stuff was stupid and not at all amusing. But almost everything else was perfect.

Oh yeah, I re-watched Tobe Hooper's Eaten Alive last month and I have to admit to everyone I talked the film over with here that I was wrong. It's not that bad but it isn't at all good.

8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

The films do not have their own slipcase, no. It was a gift to me, but a bummer to know there's a better-quality product out there. Oh well.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

Anyway, I know exactly how you feel - I recently had the same experience with the Mario Bava boxset. Not liking the films (not that that makes me resent buying the package - DAMN I got the thing for like 15-16 bucks brand new and zero for shipping, I would have paid that just for Bay of Blood alone) as I started watching them. Eventually, I found 2 that I enjoyed. Haven't bothered with Rabid Dogs / Kidnapped yet.

You're not too into classic horror? Or did you just think Castle's classics are too silly compared to Dracula, Wolf Man, Hitchcock's, etc?

If you have the Friday the 13th or Mario Bava boxsets, that's what I mean by slimline cases. A lot of TV sets of course have them too. If 13 Ghosts has its' own flipper and there's no other movie on the other side you probably have the 2 versions of 13 Ghosts. Of course, if you did- without the Ghost Viewer, it's pointless. I had a similar bum out with the John Waters Collection set - I got the twofer with Polyester (like, back in '02) and it didn't come with an Odorama card. Don't know why.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  10. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

My sister was over last night. We were both tired so we rented the soon-to-be-classic Gun (2010). Starring old Val Kilmer (seriously, he's looking rough), Curtis "50 Cent aka Fitty Cent" Jackson, John Larroquette, James Remar and some girl from either Gossip Girl or the new 90210 (according to my sister). Also written by Mr. Cent. With music by Fitty and I guess G-Unit.

If you ever saw 50 Cent and said to yourself I want to see that man's naked ass, then this is the movie for you. If you ever wanted to see Val Kilmer look like he was 80 years old, then this is your dream come true. If you like to hear the words motha-fucker then you'll orgasm over this movie. If you want to hear 50 Cent's finest music since In Da Club came out, then this is definitely for you and if you want to see why the girl from either Gossip Girl or the new 90210 is in one of those shows and not in something good, then watch this movie. All will become clear.

Seriously though, the story is a big cliche, as is the dialogue but we had fun watching 50 Cent trying to look bad ass all the time, especially during a flashback involving a television and someone's head. Val Kilmer has gone the Edward Furlong route and fallen apart completely and we enjoyed that. I don't know, it's a bad movie but you can have fun with it if you have Chinese food and watch it with someone who is as ready to laugh at the movie as you are.

11. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

A double shot of goodness and crap tonight. Watched the remake of Night of the Demons and wow... what a load of garbage. The only thing I could think of while watching was... wow, Edward Furlong sure has gotten fat. Other than that, a complete waste of time.

On the flip side, I had heard nothing but bad things about New Year's Evil but was pleasantly surprised. A load of fun, especially the bar scene where our hero promised a young (?) blonde to take her to a party with Erik Estrada. Lots of laugh out loud moments. This is bound to be a repeat viewing from here on out.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Caught HANNA last night at the theatre and was completely blown away. Intelligent, beautiful, tense, and completely absorbing. So far this has jumped to top spot for best of 2011, but there is still a hell of a lot coming out that I'm looking forward to.

But highly recommend you see this in the theatre!

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]

From the opening I was embarrassed for everyone involved including the viewers. Fast Forward was designed for this movie, but don't FF through the deaths because they're blink and you'll miss them kills. What's worse is that whenever it tries to make sense it only succeeds in making less sense; for a plot that's a rehash of every horror film ever made that's quite an accomplishment.

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

^^"You'll be having a bad hare day!" :lol: wow.

My father was in town last weekend, and he really wanted to see The Source Code (2011), which was probably last on my list of four movies that I want to see in theaters. But hey, he was buying the cheeseburgers.

Marine Jake Gyllenhaal awakens, having no memory of who he is or what he is doing on a train. There just happens to be a knockout brunette across from him chirping away and smiling in his direction. When Jake looks into the window, the reflection he sees is not his own.

And just when the audience is ready to remove their jackets and settle in, the fucking train explodes, killing everyone. Or does it! Jake awakens in a downed military capsule, with another woman chirping at him, this time from a video monitor. It turns out he's on a top-secret mission, where his consciousness is placed (via...wireless internet, maybe?) in the body of a teacher on a train. The teacher died in the explosion, but apparently 8 minutes of memory remain after the mortal coil, and therefore Jake has 8 minutes, on repeat, to solve the mystery of the bomb. This is all explained by way of "parabolic physics." It's like Groundhog Day meets Quantum Leap.

It shouldn't work. It really shouldn't, but damn if Jake doesn't know how to take a parabolic physics situation and turn it on its head by way of his performance. His investigation of the passengers is hilarious and violent--he only has 8 minutes, so cut him some slack--and the impending explosion looms every time he jumps back onto the train. Plus, there's the other mystery of what, exactly, Jake is doing in that capsule and why he can't remember how he got there. And who are those mysterious people in the video monitor. It's a clever script, with Jake trying to solve both mysteries while aboard the train. Everyone else in the picture is pretty bland, but our protagonist is in just about every frame, and he carries it with aplomb.

Plus, there's a nice subplot involving Jake and his father, which timed nicely with my dad's visit. In what has to be an intentional wink to Quantum leap, Scott Bakula lends his voice to the role of Jake's dad, ha.

And, oh yeah, the ending is damn good, but then I tend to get a little misty whenever time travel is involved.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Is it me or is the 2011: Track The Films You Watch thread fucked? Won't work right on two computers I've tried. It's the same problem where posts are missing and page 2 doesn't really work.

16. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Same problem here.

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Same here. Not surprising, but my list is missing. Again :(

18. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

I can't view the 2nd page either....

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i promised myself i was going to back my lists up after this happened the last time. of course, i never did. maybe THIS time (if i get it back) i'll follow my own advice.

20. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I can find my list but when I try to click on it to update it I'm sent back to the first page of the thread.What's up ?