Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread: 2006

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Numania

Numania Guest

Zing!

2. Numania

Numania Guest

So...I watched Amityville II last night. I enjoyed it enough, I guess, but it seemed more like an Exorcist sequel than an Amityville sequel. I just kinda abstracted it from the franchise and took it solo.

Like, what the fuck? Why does this priest have to pull a Father Marin? Lame ending, but whatever. The basement was cool when all the dead people were in the secret room. Plus, you got some sweet incest action.

3. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I really enjoyed the first half of Amityville II but the second half was a total snooze for me.

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Just done watching Crash (2004) and thought it was good but not great. Felt like Spike Lee took over Paul Thomas Anderson's mind and remade 21 Grams and threw in a bit of Pulp Fiction for good measure.
    No big surprises, everything seemed like it has been done before. Matt Dillon was great though. Good performance.

5. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Just watched Pranks aka The Dorm That Dripped Blood for the first time. Mostly lame but one thing stood out for me. About six minutes into the flick there's a scene where a guy is shown several times standing in front of what appears to be a large gay pride flag. At least that's what it looks like to me.

If this was a recent movie then I wouldn't think anything of it but since this was made in 1982, I gotta think that's really unusual or maybe that I'm halluciinating. Seems really unique that a 1982 horror movie would have that in there.

So am I nuts?

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

The only thing I remember about The Dorm That Dripped Blood was
    Daphne Zuniga's head getting squashed by a car
    . It's been ages, I need to re-visit that film someday.

I know there's a thread but I just wanna say that Running Scared (2006) was a fun flick worth checking out! 4.5/5

7. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Don't be in too much of a hurry. Ugh!

8. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

So, today at work I noticed we PV'ed (pulled a rental off the floor and converted it for sale) Sarah Silverman's Jesus Is Magic. My knowledge of Sarah Silverman begins at knowing she's a vulgar comic and ends with her tiny performance in School Of Rock. I debated whether or not to drop $8 on this movie, $5 of which I can get back if I trade it in, and finally decided to give it a shot.

I HATED THIS MOVIE. It's tough for me to say that and mean it because I enjoy the ultra-vulgar stuff sometimes (I laugh every time Yucko The Clown is on MTV2 and I own Wondershowzen Season One) but most of her material fell on the floor for me. I laughed out loud once during the entire thing and that was during the sketch with Bob Odenkirk, whom I really like, especially when he was on Mr. Show with David Cross and Run Ronnie Run, also with David Cross.

Anyway, I don't mean to rant or bash this movie, or those who enjoyed it (because I know some people did seem to) but I wanted to get these feelings out. I wish I could have my $8 back, but I'll have to settle for $5.

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Amen. Except that I didn't even laugh at the Bob Odenkirk segment. She was mildly amusing; I admit that I smiled a few times at some of the "offensive" remarks, but once you realize her brand of comedy you see the joke coming before she says it.

Just because she's sort of pretty doesn't make her sort of funny. Or pretty funny.

Total snooze-fest.

10. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

i didn't like any of the sketch stuff, but i love her standup.

11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

The past week or so, I have been going through my Criterion Collection of Dazed and Confused. I started with the supplemental material, then the 72-page book (with essays, including one from Chuck Klosterman that is surprisingly poignant), and last night I watched the film twice, back-to-back, finishing with the audio commentary by director Richard Linklater.

The film got one hell of a treatment from Criterion. The pakaging is great (includes a poster), the DVD fold-out has soem great pictures of the cast that can be changed to fit the "holes" in the outer sleeve, and the DVD holder has some funny paraphenalia humor as well; the book is a treasure as it includes interviews from the cast, letters Linklater wrote to the cast to prepare them for their roles, and plenty of essays.

The supplemental material on the DVD is incredible and exhaustive: behind the scenes interviews, character interviews, awesome reunion footage, reunion interviews, auditions, deleted scenes (including one that finally explains how Donny got from being in the car with Pickford and Slater to showing up at the Emporium with Benny and O'Bannion), and plenty more. The commentary track is very wistful, and I wish Linklater had dished a bit more (why Shawn Andrews isn't involved in any of the reunion stuff or behind the scenes footage), but I suppose it's testament to his class that he abstains from slinging any dirt--although he does lay into a "stupid fucking extra" who acted against Linklater's wishes during one scene.

And then the film: wow, one hell of a transfer. I never noticed the bits of herb on Michelle's fingers during the opening sequence. You can see the details on everything: cars, paddles, blemishes, even those lovely knee-high socks! Amazing. And the sound is great too. When some of the songs kicked in, it made like thunder rolling into my basement--ha ha. Good stuff. And there is plenty of background dialogue to be heard now, too.

If you are a fan of the film, this package will be a definite treat for you, no matter how many times you have purchased this film before. I love it. Way to go, Criterion.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  12. ReNeGaDe

ReNeGaDe Guest

Speaking of Linklater I just saw A Scanner Darkly and WOW!!!! what an awesome movie!!!!

13. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Last night I watched the Sundance Channel's airing of Luis Bunuel's Belle De Jour. The film is a masterpiece, but the whole time I could help but think that George Romero was more than a little inspired by this film when he made Season of the Witch. Does anyone else feel this way? There are obvious parallels in the two stories: both films deal with repressed housewives who resort to something they normally wouldn't do to appease their boredom (in Belle de Jour, she becomes a hooker; in Season of the Witch, she becomes a witch), both women in the films have a husband who gets shot at the end of the film, both films have bizarre dream sequences that punctuate the repression of the housewives, and in both films, the two women have an affair with men who are less than savory (maybe more so in Belle de Jour). I couldn't help noticing all of these similarities; just an observation.

14. Noto

Noto Guest

[​IMG]

15. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I take it you don't like Season of the Witch? :confused:

I think it's one of Romero's best, despite the very low production values.

16. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Just watched Fade to Black (1980). This was the second time I had seen it but the first time was so long ago that for all intensive purposes, I was going in blind. I wasn't even sure I had seen it before until I got to about 2/3 into the film. It wasn't until...

the jerk-off scene that it suddenly hit me that I had seen it before. When I saw that I suddenly remembered renting this in the 80's and watching it with my Dad. Picture a 15 year old watching a guy on TV whacking off with his father in the room. Can you saw awkward?
    Anyway, this is a real gem of a movie, IMO. A bit corny in parts and a tad uneven but definitely worth seeking out if you're a fan of the movies. Dennis Christopher was pretty great in this role if you ask me.

17. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I watched Evilspeak last night. Wow! I felt it was a little slow throughout the whole film but Clint Howard kept me in it. No matter what I thought of how boring it might be or how slowly it kept moving, his acting kept me involved. I'm glad I stuck around to the end, which I guess is the viewer's reward in the first place. Very well done, creepy atmospherics and a wonderful ending. I'm very glad I picked this one up.

18. Noto

Noto Guest

No, I just think it is a stretch of a comparison. Romero has talked quite a bit about it in the past, and I don’t recall him ever even mentioning Bunuel’s name.

There’s Always Vanilla being very Godard would strike me as more likely than SotW being very Bunuel.

19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I dunno, the whole time I was watching Belle de Jour I couldn't help thinking that it was just like Season of the Witch, but with the housewife becoming a hooker instead of a witch. You can't deny that there are plenty of similarities, maybe not in terms of style, but certainly in terms of plot. And Romero may not have mentioned Bunuel as an inspiration, but the dream sequence in the beginning of Season of the Witch is in some ways very Bunuel-esque (the baby, the husband dragging his wife around on a chain, etc). I think it's a comparison that merits mentioning, even if Romero never saw the Bunuel film.

20. Noto

Noto Guest

Fair enough, but I would think it much more comparable to the domination films of the era, and the two-decades that precede it.

I don’t consider Belle De Jour itself all that original. It simply did up the plot with grace that was lacking prior to that.