Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread: 2006

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 12, 2006.

1. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Glad you enjoyed it! It's one of my favorite Argento films.

The bullet-through-the-peephole scene is especially funny when you consider that Opera is the last Argento film that Daria Nicolodi participated on (which is somewhat of a shame because, despite their problems together, they always made a great team). So, in a sense, he has killed her off for good. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2006
  2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Speaking of Argento, hot damn, I've watched two early 80s Horror films in a row this month so far: Agrento's Inferno and then Carpenter's The Thing. First-time viewing for Inferno, and I'd seen The Thing before, although only on television, so this was my first time with glorious sci-fi gore!

Inferno was so beautiful. Wow. The underwater scene--like a dream. And then all the reds throughout the film. There's a certain...red that Argento is able to capture on film. Great stuff.

I'd heard that this was a quasi-sequel to Suspiria, and so I spent half the film trying to make a connection. Hm.

In my head, I imagined that Suspiria dealt with one witch under a house and that Inferno dealt with another, and then both were part of the "three sisters." At the end of Inferno, I don't think I was correct, as the witch claims that she is the embodiment of all three witches. I think.

Anyway, great flick. Very involving.

And of course, The Thing was badass.

3. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I'm probably going to get cut into tiny pieces and served to starving pigs for saying this, but...

I watched My Bloody Valentine for the first time last night and I was pretty underwhelmed. I think I hyped it too much for myself after reading everyone's opinions on it and how much they like it. I don't think it was a bad film, I definitely thought it was an above par slasher flick, but I was going into it hoping afterwards, I'd say to myself, "Why the HELL did I wait SO LONG for this movie?", much like I did with Maniac.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I'm very glad I bought it for $8 and it was worth it but my superhuman expectations could not be satisfied.

4. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

i felt the same way about My Bloody Valentine. I like it, but i guess i was expecting more from it.

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I agree with you 100%. It's a good film but definitely not one of my favorite slashers. I think the main reason I was so disappointed is the extreme lack of gore; perhaps in its uncut form it is more effective? The sad thing is, I doubt we'll ever find the answer to that. :(

6. DrHerbertWest

Wow, I found two supporters of my views on MBV. Awesome.

I just got done watching The Big Racket, and boy, am I glad I took time out to watch it! Fabio Testi does an outstanding job as Inspector Nico and all of the other smaller characters are great. I highly recommend this flick. The script, characters, plot, acting... All way above average.

What's better than...(Possible spoiler)
    A.) A fired cop with a vendetta
    B.) An Olympic sharpshooter looking for revenge
    C.) A Discoteque owner in a metal brace
    D.) A trigger happy father mourning the loss of a child
    E.) A vicious ex con who wants to regain power
    F.) A witty thief with a conscience
    Getting together and trying to take out "The Racket"? The Racket, of course, being a gang of young thugs who will stop at nothing to control the streets.

I also want to mention that I rented this without knowing a thing about it or it's actors, that's why I'm so excited to have enjoyed this as much as I did.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  7. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Well, I watched a couple of the films from "The Devil Made Me Do It" AB Fright Pack over the last couple of days in honor of the date 6/6/6.

Fear No Evil was alright I guess, but I could have done without the gay parts (and I mean literally gay). Not that I'm anti-homosexuality or anything, in fact it's more of the opposite where as I don't appreciate them demonizing it although I guess it is somewhat appropriate given the Catholic church's stance on the subject. Definitely some very cheesy moments especially during the digital effects although the last minute or so of them was pretty friggin' trippy. Obviously done by the same people who did Lady In White only it loses the surreal touches that the digital effects give in that film. Decent watch for a night with the guys, although some may want to cover their eyes during the shower scene.

The Antichrist is quite simply the best Exorcist rip-off (even includes head-spinning, green spew, and a nice roll down the stairs) I've ever seen and it's accompanied by a wonderful score from Ennio Morricone and Bruno Nicolai.

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I got the chance to see this a while ago and I totally agree with everything you said. It was highly entertaining, well-acted, and had a great storyline. I really liked a lot of the shots, such as
    when Nico is in the car that is rolling down the hill in slow motion, and the camera is INSIDE the car with him
    . I haven't seen a lot of Euro crime films, but I highly recommend it to anyone new to the genre. Simple, but fun and exciting. And oh yeah, Vincent Gardenia was pure gold. :)

9. DrHerbertWest

Awwww yeeeah! Glad you liked this as much as I did. After watching this, it REALLY drives me to want to watch more Euro Crime movies. Any recommendations from any one?

10. Numania

Numania Guest

Almost Human rules.
    Gambling City was pretty good.
    Grand Slam and Revolver were rad. Revolver especially.

That's all that I can think of right now. hahah I have a bunch, but I haven't watched them yet.

11. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I'd also recommend Almost Human and Grand Slam. Gambling City was good as well, but it wasn't your usual Euro crime film. In addition, I'd say Rabid Dogs, Uno Bianca, and Violent City are all well worth a look.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Finished watching the first two Street Fighter flicks with Sonny Chiba. Good stuff. Terrible plot, but awesome gory karate action! Check these out!

13. DrHerbertWest

I LOVE the original Street Fighter. I wasn't too hot on the sequels, but I'll have to revisit part two now.

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Watched Running Scared last night after a couple people here recommended it.

And wow! What a loud, sleazy, vulgar, hyper-violent extraveganza (sp?) of a movie! They don't cut away at all! And I was really impressed with the acting. Really good stuff. So if you're in for a bit of the ultra-violence and ultra-language and probably the craziest pedophile couple scene in film history, check out Running Scared. 4 out of 5.

Recommended!

15. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Zombie Honeymoon is a little independent feature that got a lot of good reviews. After reading said reviews, I decided to get it. I love gory horror comedy and thought, how could this one go wrong?

Let me tell you how... this movie takes itself seriously. Very seriously. A movie about a woman standing by her zombie husband is supposed to be a romantic and serious movie. No really. Despite some gory moments, a cheap budget, and some straight up campy moments, this movie is supposed to be a serious love story. No really. It was horrible. If I wanted a romance movie, I would put one with Colin Firth or Reese Witherspoon in, not a movie about zombies. Christ. Bad, bad, bad. I hope I can sell this one to another poor sucker on ebay. I made a big mistake with this one.

In other news, I just ordered Running Scared from DDD. Hopefully, it is as crazy good as the reviews say. I am looking forward to it.

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Rampage: The Hillside Strangler Murders

Ex-rental disc, bought it for 5 bucks. This was the first time the sales lady actually commended on my purchase, saying "it's a very good movie".

[​IMG]

I only wish she had opened her mouth when I bought Death To The Supermodels a few weeks before :eek2:

Anyway, the sales lady was right. Rampage was good. Based on the Bianchi murders with a cool 70s setting & style ala Boogie Nights. The film focuses more on the Psychiatrist investigating the case though, so there's a lot of stuff concerning her personal life, sex life, drugs and parties. And boy does she know how to party :D

Not sure how much this film is based on facts but we do get some insight on the murders and Bianchi and his motivations ...
    In case anyone is interested in checking this film out, I'd recommend to strap on a seatbelt because the camera always moves and never stops. I kinda got dizzy after 30 minutes. And for the Disco Freaks: they play and dance to Anita Ward's one and only hit Ring My Bell. Groovy :)

17. DrHerbertWest

I watched Running Scared last night. You know, when this came out in theaters, I really wanted to see it. Then I forgot about it. Then it got released on DVD and I see these people saying how awesome it was. Yes, it was awesome. Yes, I enjoyed it. But I don't think it was THAT great. A couple of scenes were very violent, but the rest of it played like a drama. Am I desensitized? Probably. Either way, I enjoyed it, it just wasn't as "crazy" and "violent" as I thought it was going to be.

And yes, the pedophile scene is very, very disturbing. My friend kept shivering because it grossed him out.

18. Numania

Numania Guest

Maybe you shouldn't have had your hand on his leg.

19. DrHerbertWest

OH SNAP.

20. Lucio Fulci The Beyond, I won the Limited Tin off Ebay for 40 U.S so i've been watching it non-stop since Saturday. This was actually so I could bring it back into the fold since I sold my copy like three years ago which was still in the wrapper, wish I could say the same for my latest purchase since it was out of the wrapper, but non the less I needed a replacement and I didnt care less if it was the regular edition or tin I just wanted it to complete my zombie collection/Fulci since I already have Zombie, City of the Living Dead, House By The Cemetary, Zombie 3. Fulci was a master not for the gore but because in my opinion he framed his cinimatography so well that it surpasses even Argento's or dare I say it Hitchcock. The man was as Dirk Digler said "I'm a star i'm a star im a big bright shinning star".