Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread: 2006

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 12, 2006.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

It's funny...just saw Tarantino on Jimmy Kimmel. His fave of the year.

Sin City (he did admit he had a small part in that)
    Domino...fuckin a!
    Hustle and Flow...great film
    The Devil's Rejects...don't you love this dude?:banana:

2. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

It's a damned crime Rejects was snubbed by the Academy. :mad: ;)

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I just watched Once Upon a Time in the West for the first time. Wonderfully shot and acted.

But did anyone else feel a disconnect with the film? I loved the pacing, but I couldn't connect with it for some reason. I went into it with a strong appreciation for Westerns (and thrilled that Argento was involved), but at the end, I didn't feel any impact.

And I'm not a prude, but I did have strange reaction to the depiction of Claudia Cardinale's character, Jill. Why did she sleep with Frank again? I was under the assumption that she, Cheyenne, and Harmonica had a plan to get the land at the auction...next thing I know she is sleeping with Frank, only to have Harmonica buy the land using Cheyenne as payment. And then Cheyenne's "Just let them pat your ass" comment at the end...weird. Yes, I know how women were treated back then, but the way they treated her in the film rang false to me. As if they were trying to be demeaning...to be demeaning.

I dunno, just disappointed that I didn't love the film.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

life_o_petey, I see you watched The 400 Blows, and I see you loved it. Awesome stuff. Great movie.

5. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

yea, it was quite excellent. I had to watch it for class, and it made me wonder what the hell took me so long to finally see it. I'm looking forward to the French New Wave class this summer. banana dance.

6. sacateca

sacateca Guest

Workshed: i feel the same way about that movie. It should be great, it should be epic, but something falls short. i don't exactly know what it is, but i always thought the film is not 'serious' enough, there is a lot of silly intentional humour that might be the cause of distraction at least for me. In a way, generally it feels somewhat too light compared with Leone's Eastwood-westerns. Less gritty.

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Thanks for your response. The film has such a strong opening, too, it's a shame I didn't feel the rest of it held that tension. You're right, the lighthearted feel in some of the scenes was distracting. His Eastwood films are so good, though. Guess we are in the minority.

8. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

:eek2:

9. Noto

Noto Guest

Yeah, something is seriously fucking wrong with Rhett. I used to think that it was just his being Canadian, but now I realize that is only part of the problem.

10. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

:lol:

Well, I like and respect Rhett, but... dayam! Repo Man is a CLASSIC!!

11. Noto

Noto Guest

I respect and like Rhett too. But face it, when he's wrong, he's wrong*. I try to help him out when I can, but I can only do so much.

*Repo Man is 4-5-star entertainment. Any other rating is wrong.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

DrHerbertWest, I see you watched Ice Harvest the other day. Really good flick, and really really dark too. I didn't expect it to be that black of a black comedy. Drunken Oliver Platt was friggin' hilarious! "I think one went up in my body cavity..." :lol:

13. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I see walkingdude gave Anthropophagus a half decent *** rating (same as I did), nice to see someone else wasn't completely let down by the flick. I know it's not cinematic gold, but it has some fun gore scenes and wasn't really any more boring to me than any other cheaply made gore or slasher flick. Rhett's one star rating made me cry inside. I had high hopes for it, which subsequently got kicked right in the family jewels when I read negative review after negative review of it online, but it turned out to be a decent romp in my opinion.

I'll save my single star review for when I catch some stupid foreign big bush flick on Showcase one lonely night. ;)

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Word, Repo Man is good stuff. Hopefully, Rhett will shed some light on his rating as I am very curious.

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

Eh. I've seen REPO MAN twice now, and it just doesn't do it for me. The haphazard plotting and scatterbrained story structure just irritates me to no end, intentional or not. It reminds me of when I have to babysit my baby cousins and how they go from talking about Pokemon one minute to how many shirts they have in their closet the next. I just want to slap Alex Cox and tell him to focus. I'm not a fan of the SoCal punk music in the movie, so when it blares over each shoddy transition, it only makes the structure ring worse for me.

While the first two thirds have enough sight gags and one-offs to at least moderately hold interest, the third act is meandering at best. It's clear Cox had a start and an end to the film, but getting to that finishing point becomes tedious when your realize he has no idea how to get there.

The first time I saw it I almost fell asleep out of boredom, but had to give it another chance when it was chosen to screen in one of my film classes. I think seeing it in a public setting aggrevated my rating even more, since everyone was laughing at every single line as if it were Sarah Silverman. I hate watching cult movies with cult audiences, because there is always this communal desire to laugh or react to the screen to show everyone else you "get it" and that you are fit to be part of the group. It's high school cliquing, only replace the pretty high school girls with black rimmed feminists. The moment any film achieves cult status I sort of cringe, because I think it effectively destroys the film a little.

But cult audience or not, I just really dislike the movie. It irritates me most though, because it does have some good ideas and a unique style. It is just a phenomenal underachiever, and its weak story structure is all the more frustrating because there is clearly skill in front and behind the camera.

The one thing the film achieves undeniably, and is no doubt the reason for my single star, is Emilio Estevez's amazing earring. I think I could write an essay on how much I love it, but I've already had to write an essay on how much I dislike the film, so I think I'll leave it at that.

16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Even though I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this film, this bit here is perfect. His earring is amazing.

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

If my avatar could be anything other than the HALLOWEEN pumpkin, it would be the Estevez earring.

18. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Well put. I don't necessarily agree (in the slightest) with your opinion of REPO MAN, but you are 100% on the money with this comment. The last "cult" movie I saw with an audience was PINK FLAMINGOS and it pretty much convinced me to stay home more often.

19. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Myron Beck--re: your signature-- "Nuh-uh, My Momma's in rehab!" :cool:

20. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Dark City

What a difference 5 years makes. When I last saw Dark City (1998), I was in college. After catching it initially at an advance screening and loving it, my friends and I sat down to watch rent it. We loved it. Great reveal, fun performances, cool sets, etc.

Now, since I have Netflix, I figured I'd give this one a third watch. Safe bet for a good viewing. Surprisingly, not so. I started it last week and only finished it last night. What happened to me? I found Sutherland's performance to be laughable, Sewell to be bland, and Connelly muted. I realize there are limits to a film's budget, and Dark City did a hell of a job with theirs, but even so--the scope of the film, in terms of how much of the city was shown, was disappointing. We really only saw The Strangers change the lives of a few people. And when it came time to do so, it seemed as if there were only about six of them doing so. Given their chattering noises, I wanted to see more of them scuttling about the city like bugs, swarming. I would also have liked to have received a few clues as to where all these people came from.

I did still enjoy the Shell Beach reveal, and the little kid cracked me up ("Kill HIM!")--in fact, The Strangers were really well done and I loved what controlled them--but I guess my expectations have changed. A great story, just not as well-executed as I remembered.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006