Coming Soon From Olive Films

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Mar 22, 2012.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

No kidding. Over at avmaniacs they have a thread dedicated to the future olive release of the Boogens and people keep posting pics of covers for Olive blu rays OTHER than The Boogens. It's beginning to piss me off! :D

2. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Really good movie...Stuart Whitman is nuts in it...I watched the entire movie on youtube last month but it's been removed since.

The last image at the end of the film is kind of disturbing. Check it out.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_the_body_snatchers#Post-production

Much like Super35 it is a less than ideal process and I fear that DNR will be cranked to remove excessive grain and EE cranked to compensate for the loss of detail.

The Blu-ray of Invasion will not be from the original negatives after all; Olive Films has stated a correction:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/3...l-invasion-of-the-body-snatchers#post_3920420

Since the negative is lost it is unlikely well ever get it in 1.85:1. I'd also forgotten that apparently the original cut exists but we probably aren't going to be seeing that any time soon either.

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thanks! it would be a shame if a movie with a screaming axe wielding monkey on the cover turned out to be no good. i`ll probably check it out now!

5. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

X-human, you've deflated my enthusiasm.....

Still, it's got to be better than the ancient DVD, right? (I now await x-human to bring news of the contrary.)

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Not an illegitimate worry, but I'm cautiously optimistic that this won't be the case. Olive Films has released plenty of other Blu-Rays, and if they were in love with DNR and EE we would have seen much more evidence of it by now. They seem pretty respectful of that stuff, unlike, say, Universal, whose vintage Blus are hit or miss in those regards.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The DVD was non-anamorphic so Olive's release should be much better than that even on their own DVD.

As Jeremy said there is reason to be optimistic and the more I looked into the problems the more comfortable I became in choosing to buy the disc. Unless the original negative surfaces this is the best we can expect.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  8. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Good to hear. I haven't viewed any of their discs myself. I've wanted a better release of this title for a long time now.

9. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Yeah, no kidding. All they're talking about on HTF are the creaky old B&W movies from the Republic catalog. What I wanna know is when are we getting Night of the Demons 2, Boogens and anything else from the 80's forward. Boogens is supposedly coming "in the Summer", my thinking is it'll come out closer to the Halloween season so I'm not expecting an announcement any time soon. I still can't believe we're getting this and DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS on Blu-ray!

10. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Olive doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the transfers. They just put out whatever they're given (in this case, Paramount). Some of the Paramount/Olive stuff looks good, and some of it not so much.

11. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Well that's a bit of an oversimplification. When Olive Films or Criterion or other independent labels do a deal with the big studios, they usually have a couple of different options. For example, they can use whatever master already exists for a given title. If that title has been remastered or restored recently, whatever the studio has on their shelf might be perfectly good. On the other hand, they can also usually cough up money to have the a new telecine done by the studio or have additional work done on a master that already exists. It depends on the contract, and while I don't know what is in the one that Olive signed for these titles, their previous releases don't show the kind of major DNR/EE tampering that folks were saying they were worried about.

12. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

It's really not an oversimplification, though. Criterion is kind of in a class by itself, since they have unusually high standards for their releases. But other companies, like Olive, Blue Underground, Image, Mill Creek, etc--they're pretty much at the mercy of the studio (or rights holder) that they're distributing for. Paramount, Sony, Disney, etc--these guys do the work (handle the transfers), so they're to blame when releases are shitty.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  13. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Well you are oversimplifying though, and you're doing it again in this post. Every company which licenses a film is at the mercy of the rights holders, Criterion included. After all, the rights holders, whether they be independents or big studios, have the final say in whether they are going to give them the movie at all, and can attach conditions that range from the irritating (like mandating a release be region locked) to the anal (demanding final approval for the cover art, supplements, menus). Criterion gets hit with these contractual nuisances too, for example, their recent GODZILLA disc had to have part of the commentary removed at the last minute because Toho or someone else with a stake in the property objected to it.

The level of freedom that a label has depends on each contract, but usually they have some wiggle room when it comes to the transfer. Criterion purchased its own system that allows it to do much of its digital restoration in-house. Blue Underground had the ZOMBIE negative scanned in Italy but cleaned up and restored at a facility in America. Synapse Films is known for shopping around its masters to various facilities, trying out new software and equipment for scanning and digital clean-up. Mill Creek and Echo Bridge use whatever Disney has lying around on the shelf, which seem to be mostly TV masters, although if they wanted to they could probably have Disney do new scans. That would cost extra though, and they clearly don't have the desire or budget for it.

14. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

For a budget label Mill Creek sure seems to be getting their hands on a lot of property from various studios lately. They outbid Shout for that initial Miramax batch (which they promptly boondoggled) and now they've managed to snag a couple of hundred-plus Sony rejects. Not bad for a company that started out hawking 50-packs of PD crap in supermarkets.

15. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Well sure, different companies have different parameters. But the fact remains, Olive doesn't have anything to do with the transfers--they use whatever Paramount provides. :D

16. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Yes! Thus proving the original point I was trying to make, which was that Olive Films is not in the habit of applying DNR or EE to the masters they get. For the most part they seem to have been using what Paramount provided without any changes. If they were applying those effects we would have seen much more evidence of it at this point. (Of course now I feel like we were both trying to say the same thing in different terms this whole time. :p)

17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed the announcement, but one of my guilty pleasures Firstborn starring Christopher Collet (Sleepaway Camp) is coming to blu-ray on July 31st.

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I was also surprised that they are releasing Fire with Fire (1986) on Blu-ray on 7/31. That one never even made it to DVD.

Since they've now released some odd Paramount gems, perhaps The Keep could be next? Here's hoping...

19. 7dizbust

7dizbust Member

Bo bo bo booogens!

20. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

Summer is what heard for THE BOOGENS, I'm thinking now it's gonna be August, or it's been moved. I'm right there with ya, man. A favorite of mine I'm impatiently waiting for, too.