Code Red DVD - Why so expensive?

Discussion in 'General' started by vampyr789, Aug 14, 2012.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Night of the Demon just came out and it's already $34+ used on Amazon.
    Rituals, MadMan, and Don't Go In the Woods are still in print, but they're so damn expensive. I mean I like these movies, but I'm not gonna pay around $35 for them.
    Their release of Nightmare is understandable, they only pressed 10,000 copies, it was a limited run.
    But why are their other releases, that are still in print, so expensive?

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

They're a small label.

~Matt

3. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

Code Red is no longer releasing through a distributor so many of their films were "recalled" and were sold at a discount directly through Code Red, many are essentially out of print.

4. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

There's no way on earth they pressed and sold 10,000 copies of Nightmare. I think that banner was supposed to be a joke, albeit a stupid one.

5. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

The banner actually says 100,000 and yes, Bill has said many times that it was meant as a joke.

6. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Isnt NIGHT OF THE DEMON getting repressed?

7. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

And why a different thread for this?

Madman Bill does not deserve many threads...

I´m guessing that with Arrow´s upcoming release of "The Night Child" he found a new meaning for his life, as he will surely start to whine about how much their release will sell many times as much in the first days as Code Red´s in it´s entire run.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Since Code Red only sells 50 copies per title, the price has to be high to recoup their costs. :lol:

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Why do his prices seem higher now that he doesn't have to take a hit by selling wholesale to companies like Amazon.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Easy, there's more money in it.

But I wouldn't say all of his prices are high at all. He sells a number of OOP titles far cheaper than they were originally available retail.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

All about supply and demand. He doesn't sell 10,000 or even 1,000 copies of many title. He can sell only a few hundred and counts himself lucky. There are a few choice titles that could sell 2000-3000 and he does seem to have a problem recognizing those though.

I think his one stop shop approach will help him both fund titles plus get a better idea what sells and what doesn't. He'll then be in a better position to stock accordingly.

Bill said he's considering pressing it at the end of the year. We'll see.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I wish he would repress Nightmare! That is one of the few flicks from them that I really want but missed out on! Strange that he would press so little of that one knowing that it was probably their most requested title.

13. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

I'd rather Bill give up Nightmare (and Madman), and let Scorpion put them out on blu. Obviously, Madman would need a ton of work, since the CR dvd looks like ass.

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I never take Madman Bill as a reliable source but according to him, at the time of the release of Madman (the same time all hell broke loose when he could not accept his print was inferior), he told he was releasing it in a hurry because he had the rights for just a few months, and that release was very limited, even for Code Red.

So, now I believe Code Red doesn´t own any more the rights for that movie.

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I also remember reading that several other companies passed before it went to Code Red (including Synapse) because the producer had a lot of strange demands. Not sure if this is true, but I remember reading it on one of the forums.

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Yes, Madman Bill argued that Code Red beat Synapse for the movie, until one of the guys over at Synapse told right here in the Code Red forum that they were not beaten by Code Red but instead they gave up because the producer wanted some crazy demands and one of them was to release the movie right away, not giving Synapse time for a complete remaster.

17. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Problem with MADMAN is, if the producer is making crazy demands , and with limited length of license (what, one year?), then what other labels can release this title if Code Red's rights have expired? Synpase obviously passed, and I doubt Shout Factory or Olive as they are busy with major studios seems like, so who is left? VCI? Media Blasters? Echo Bridge? Maybe the producer can release it himself, like William Malone is with CREATURE BluRay? There really isn't many labels left.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  18. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I think all that stands between a good quality release of Madman is the producer. Maybe his visions of things have change since Code Red´s release but only time will tell.

And I think Code Red only had the movie rights for a few months, I mean, when the original run was sold I never saw it again. Not even now with all the Madman Bill going solo shit.

I believe Madman Bill just hurted Code Red when he decided going solo, I mean, the present buyers of his stuff are only the hardcore target audience he always had. For the casual Code Red buyers this may be a no deal because the price went up and the publicity down because of no wide net sale and no in store sale.

I have more than 30 Code Red titles, all of them bought on Axel Music for no more than 15 UDS including shipping, but I refuse to give Madman Bill the present price he asks for his stuff.

Why doesn´t he learn something from his brother?

19. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I love Code Red and I love collecting obscure horror films on DVD, but in 2012 I just don't see any sense in buying a standard DVD for the prices on Code Red's site. No disrespect to that company, but those prices are just way too high.

20. Cannibal Chris

Cannibal Chris New Member

I like Code Red, Bill is a character, sometimes what he says is childish, some of it I do not agree with, but the same exact thing can be said about those who constantly bash the company. To each their own I guess.

Anyhow, I've got about 20 or so releases on the label, I've got no real complaints about any of them. Sure, the Nightmare fiasco could have been handled better, but honestly, I'm just happy to own the actual movie on dvd as the only luck I've had finding it on VHS came in the form of an empty big box.

For those of you who collect CR, The People Who Own the Dark recently sold out, Bill said it was unlikely to get a repress since it took so long to move, if you can find it cheap I'd say it would be a worthy investment as most of them do spike in price a week or so after selling out.