Chris Rock To Reboot ‘Saw’ Franchise With Lionsgate & Twisted Pictures

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, May 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Anyone catch this? Looking forward to hearing opinions. I'll probably watch on the big screen soon.

2. killit

killit Active Member

Wasn’t good, was at a premiere with the director, he didn’t seem excited about the movie. He is at least touring it in my town though so maybe he is or is being paid to, people didn’t even want the free spiral swag when they left the theater lol. loved his first saw sequel, saw 2, so inventive. Spiral I s entertaining enough butit is really really really cliche and the acting is all over the place and often bad. The deaths to me were inventive and the gore was good

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it but from what I'm hearing, if you like the franchise you'll probably get enjoyment out of this. Apparently the twist and who is responsible is blatantly obvious quite early on. Also, Chris Rock yells the whole time lol. I mean for me I'll just download it as a curiosity. I've never been a big fan of the franchise anyway.

4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Yeah.......I guess I'm just looking for a good excuse to hit the theaters

5. Zombie Dude

I'll definitely be there for the new Halloween :D

Steel76 and Natas like this.
  6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Saw this in the theater on Friday and enjoyed it. I knew what to expect going in and it delivered. The main let down for me was that I knew who the killer was fairly early on. I didn't know Samuel Jackson was in the film and since I enjoy his acting it helped out.

7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Opening night, without question.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

This post reminded me of opening night at the theaters for Halloween 2018. My wife and I witnessed the aftermath of a fight right at our theaters entrance (inside)...we had to pretty much step over an unconscious teenager sprawled out on the floor in a pool of his spilled soda and ice. He was being attended to by an employee waiting for the ambulance to come. It was a pretty creepy way to start the night off. LOL I'm hoping Halloween 2021 will be less dramatic theater going experience.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  9. Zombie Dude

Haha, well at least you won't forget the experience! It helped set the mood too :p

But yeah, Halloween Kills is one of my most anticipated movies this year. I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint.

Steel76, Myron Breck and Natas like this.
  10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

It won't. Let's face it......even if it's not a great movie, it's still Michael Myers on the big screen fucking shit up. What else is gonna beat that these days?

I just hope the Alamo Draft Houses in the Dallas area are open by then. They're supposed to open next month but we'll see.

.....random thought, it's been over a decade since we last saw a new Jason. That's just fucking ludacris. Cash cows, man....just ask the 80s, most literally every summer.

Steel76, Myron Breck and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. Zombie Dude

If it's anything like the last film then I'll be happy. It had it's issues but they were few for me, and it was leaps and bounds better than RZ's films.
    Seeing Myers on the big screen does feel special.

I agree they need to sort out Jason and get him back out there slashing as well. It's both crazy and sad how long it's been since the last film.

Steel76 and Natas like this.
  12. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Just got back from Spiral. Walking into a movie theater for the first time since December 2019 was thrilling. Walking out after this movie was not. It's by no means awful, but of all the Saw movies (which I mostly enjoy) I'd rank it last.

Here's a quick review: http://splattercritic.com/2021/05/spiral-from-the-book-of-saw/

Zombie Dude, Natas and hots4 like this.
  13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Just watched it. Yeah I'd agree the worst in the series and to be honest it shouldn't really be associated with the series, apart from the traps there's nothing linking it.

I will say the Traps to be fair were fun, the gore was ok, but boy is Chris Rock annoying, I guessed the culprit as others have here and really by the end I felt it was all kind of pointless.

Cooperkill and Zombie Dude like this.
  14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

So you guys are saying that it's more pointless than JIGSAW (which I still managed to enjoy)? That saddens me. Hopefully someone else can keep the franchise going.

15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It is. I enjoyed jigsaw and I liked that idea. This has no link to saw apart from the traps, it really doesn't need to be linked. Hey maybe be spiral 8 they could add some tenuous link, but I'm sure it would be groan inducing.

It feels to me it was linked to get bums on seats, nothing more.

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This is the worst Saw movie by far, and unlike IV and The Final Chapter, it doesn't have any excuses for being this bad because they aren't cranking these movies out every year anymore. It had the intensity and suspense of a Law & Order episode, only with Chris Rock interrupting throughout to do a mini-standup routine. It's a police procedural with the cops all sitting around talking for an hour and 15 minutes, with about ten minutes of a mediocre Saw movie tucked in at the very end. The rare traps and set-pieces that are here are boring and uninteresting. Obviously, Tobin Bell didn't come back (he probably read the script and was like fuck this shit), but if there were a Jigsaw copycat on the loose, I would think he'd at least get a voice modifier to sound like the original Jigsaw. They didn't even need Tobin, just get an impersonator or make an attempt. I have no idea what the fuck the Jigsaw voice in this was, but it sounds like the soft feminine voice you'd hear on a GPS. "If you're walking into this theater, make a U-turn."

Looking back at the original announcement for this film, it says: “When Chris Rock came to us and described in chilling detail his fantastic vision that reimagines and spins-off the world of the notorious Jigsaw Killer, we were all-in,” said Lionsgate’s Motion Picture Group chairman Joe Drake. “Chris conceived this idea and it will be completely reverential to the legacy of the material while reinvigorating the brand with his wit, creative vision and passion for this classic horror franchise.” I'm baffled as to what that "fantastic vision" or creative hook he pitched them was, because it doesn't come through at all. There is no hook here, no twist, no surprises. As mentioned, this is simply Law & Order: CRU (Chris Rock Unit). I'm wondering if his pitch had to do with Jigsaw going after corrupt racist police officers akin to what is going on in the world right now (the victims are mostly white police officers and the one black victim is
    shot by a bunch of white police officers who believe he is pointing a gun at them.

Again, this doesn't come across in the movie at all, and it wouldn't have crossed my mind if not for the protests over the past year.

Anyway, this movie sucks. Throw it in a dumpster and pick up where the last movie Jigsaw left off.

17. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I seriously haven’t been a huge fan of any of the sequels. And the original is the only one I can really remember stuff from. The story just became more and more stupid, to the point that my brain just gave up, and deleted it from my memory.

Kinda hoped that this would reboot it into something more interesting. But from the comments, I guess I won’t even bother watching this one.

18. Zombie Dude

I already have it downloaded so I'll check it out, for curiosities sake. By the sounds of it I might not even get through the whole thing though.

Steel76 likes this.
  19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I thought, what the hell, I got nothing else to watch today, so I watched the movie.

I don't know, it just felt like another tired and forgettable sequel. Since I can barely remember most of them (except for some of the traps), I can't tell how much worse this one was from the rest of them.
    I figured out pretty early on, who the killer was, which also killed the suspense. I mean, it was pretty damn obvious.

Btw, why should we even care for the people who get in these traps?
    As far as I can remember (which is very little), they always did some bad shit, or are scumbags, that deserves what is coming for them.

20. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Ive always enjoyed a saw outing, I've felt they've all been pretty strong and while not moving the story forward much there has been progression, the main reason for my enjoyment are the traps and I think they have constantly delivered in that depart and that's another area where the new movie fails, don't get me wrong I enjoyed the traps, but when you compare spirals traps with some of the later saw movies, spirals have taken quite a few steps back, no I know they want to kick start a new franchise and toning down the traps seems good on paper but as these are the one thing most people are going for is not a good way to start.