Chaos: Biggest Last House On The Left RIP-OFF Ever!

Discussion in 'General' started by SaviniFan, Aug 1, 2005.

1. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I just got back this past weekend from the Flashback Weekend in Chicago and wanted to let you guys know about what I consider one of the most mis-represented films I've ever seen. It's called Chaos, and it claims to be inspired by Wes Craven's classic Last House on the Left.

This film is not inspired by LHotL, but is more of an absolute remake. I gotta wonder if Wes is aware of this film. The director David Defalco and actor/producer Sage Stallone had a brief Q&A before the screening. Defalco did not once say how this movie contains what amounts to several shot for shot scenes that are exactly out of LHotL. Instead, he represented this film as his answer to all the safe "PG-13" sanitized horror that has been plagueing the local cineplexes. He just seemed to be so centraly focused on how his film is the most brutal film "ever" made, and how his alone pays off that claim when most films saying the same thing don't. I'm here to say.....don't be fooled.

Since I expect many of you will see this out of curiosity I will say that it is not a bad film per se, but I just found it offensive that the director is misleading in talking about it, and the advertising is misleading in the representation of the film. If he called this a remake from the get go then fine, but it still isn't as good (or as brutal imo) than Last House. And David Hess is a waaaaay better scumbag than Kevin Gage could ever hope to be.
    As far as the overhyped brutality and gore is concerned, there is only one standout scene.
    One of the girl's has her nipple sliced off with a knife and fed to her.

I just had to take some time to rant about how this REMAKE is being played off as origional so you guys can go into it more educated about what to truely expect. Here is the official site incase you have interest.

Chaos

2. welb25

welb25 Member

I watched the trailer a couple of weeks ago and after reading about it it did seem like a LHOTL ripoff but I might check it out on video.

I did just read a short interview of Defalco and the interviewer says Defalco alternately describes the film as a remake of LHOTL and a homage. So I guess that's to his credit.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  3. Spacevis

Spacevis Well-Known Member

I just checked out the extremely LAME trailer on the site. Even the tagline is a rip-off

I guess he knew this was going to appeal to genre fans, but he probably also knows genre fans aren't to keen on remakes, hence he doesn't market it as such.

IMO, this is the worst kind of remake: one that claims it's not.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  4. Yes the trailer was indeed LAME as f*ck!!! I've seen better fan trailers than that!

Wasn't Sage Stallone Rocky's kid in Rocky V? He is Stallone's kid ain't he? I always wondered what happened to him.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The claims of brutality are exagerated I'm sure, Eli Roth's latest film is reportedly very graphic but so far I've found all claims to this fame rather underwhelming.

6. CubeOfTheDead

CubeOfTheDead Member

Even if it is a shot for shot remake. At least he's not trying to cash in off the Title of a established horror movie. But, thats probably cause he couldn't get the rights. What the hell happened to having your own ideas? Or at least changing other peoples ideas enough so they look like your own?

7. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

It's one thing to "pay homage to" and another thing alltogether to remake or ripoff -- whichever the filmmaker may be doing. Exploitation films are probably the easiest of the lot to pull off in terms of budget and production because you're dealing with characters who are in a house environment or maybe the woods, an open or closed space segregating them from the rest of the world. And SFX are usually minimal, used primarily for some type of blood and guts. Therefore, it's always hard to fathom why a filmmaker cannot acheive atleast a certain measure of originality, something to set his film apart from the rest -- from what's already been done a thousand and one times. Maybe something to make the viewer think about what's going to happen next -- or better yet to surprise the viewer in some turn of events -- as opposed to being able to predict what's going to happen next because you've already seen this scene go down in another (better) film of the same story. I think some filmmakers "pay homage" a little too freely these days.

8. SaviniFan

Believe me guys. This film isn't paying homage. It's a scene for scene steal. Sure he did a few things differently, but if you've seen LHotL, you've seen this movie. I sat next to my friend and told him exactly what was going to happen next in the film. That's how close it was to Craven's film.

9. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

I'm having uncontrollable visions of Gus Van Sant's, "Psycho". :eek2:

10. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Its one thing to do an homage to classic horror, but I agree its another to essentially remake a film and then pretend its something fresh. If this movie is as shot-for-shot as SaviniFan says, I'd rather they just called the damn thing a remake instead of getting fanboys' pants wet hoping for another 70's throwback. I was hesitant to see this as it is since most of what I've read about it sounded like a LHOTL remake, now I thankfully know to just avoid it.

11. kyouki

kyouki Guest

Did you guys check out the FACTS on the website??

" Kevin Gage, the star who played Chaos, remains in prison since shortly after the picture was completed nearly two years ago.

Dwight Krizman, partner to David DeFalco and Steven Jay Bernheim, arrested for murdering his wife during the filming of Chaos was charged with 2nd degree murder and sentenced to 15 years to life.

Steven Jay Bernheim’s brand new Ferrari 350 Modena that took him a year to get, mysteriously burst into flames during the filming of Chaos. David DeFalco later identified the three sixes (666) on the vehicle. Finally, in late 2004 the vehicle has been finished being repaired.

A disgruntled set worker, Luis Arroyo, filed a class action lawsuit against Nowhere House LLC, the Chaos production company. The judge assigned to the case, Judge Buckner, blew his brains out and the case was since settled.

Writer/Director David DeFalco has had his own battle with “demons” and his physical appearance has altered dramatically since the filming of Chaos.

Actress KC Kelly, who played the role of Daisy, was so psychologically affected by the movie, she became agoraphobic for six months after the filming.

Writer/Director David “the Demon” DeFalco has been permanently terminated from the 24 Hour Fitness gym chain in Los Angeles due to members being in fear of their lives with him working out there."

I see.

12. Spacevis

Spacevis Well-Known Member

:eek2: :bs:

13. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Your friend must love going to the movies with you. :p

14. SaviniFan

Hehe. Well, he did see LHotL years ago too but didn't remember much of it. He was just as unimpressed with this movie as I was. In fact he wanted to walk out halfway through it but I actually talked him into staying for the rest since I wanted to see if it copied Craven's flick all the way through.

15. Xtro_13

Xtro_13 Guest

CHAOS is a P.O.S

Don't know how many of you have seen this piece of shit movie CHAOS. Not only is a terrible movie, but it's a direct RIP-OFF of Wes Craven's classic "Last House on the Left". What got me is that DeFalco (the "writer/director") credits himself and producer/partner that is movie is "based on an orginal idea". MY ASS!!!! Craven should call a lawyer. Stay away from this movie
    :fuck:

16. onebyone

onebyone Guest

17. welb25

welb25 Member

Ebert gave this ZERO stars, along with Deuce Bigalow 2. :lol:

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I just saw Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo. It was pretty funny, in that stupid funny sort of way.

19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

20. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I checked out the Ebert review and it sounded like he hated it because it offended him--which is usually a sign that it might be worth seeing. I don't understand Ebert sometimes---he gives THE DEVIL'S REJECTS and THE MANSON FAMILY good reviews even though he warns his readers that they're unpleasant. He even likes LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, yet he dislikes a movie that is apparently an almost total remake of it.

The fact that this provoked him to write reviews similar to his anti-slasher film campaign of the early 80s makes me want to at least rent it, but then again, the TCM remake caused a similar reaction in him....