Cannibal Holocaust in on Hulu?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General' started by Anaestheus, Dec 8, 2013.

1. j tea

j tea New Member

I would say human nature is to be arrogant and oblivious. The majority of people, when confronted with the facts about where their animal-based foodstuffs come from say "I would rather not know", or "I can't think about it too much." At least in contemporary society, I would say it has less to do with human nature and more to do with convenience and arrogance.

2. zombiehorror

zombiehorror Member

Meat eating is anatomical.....humans have teeth of a carnivore, not an herbivore!

I know exactly were my beef, chicken and pork come from and we've discussed with our children the conditions that livestock are kept in and that they have to die in order for us to eat meat! And I'm proud to say both girls love steak, fried chicken, bacon, etc.

Back to Cannibal Holocaust there was more controversy than just the animal deaths, there were arrests, jailtime (I believe.) and court hearings over the cast members that were "murdered".....for short time this was thought to be a snuff film, until the individual actors were proven to still be among the living!

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Killing an animal for food is one thing, but killing an animal for spectacle is an entirely different matter.

~Matt

4. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I just think it's crazy/hilarious/bizarre to see I Spit On Your Grave and Cannibal Holocaust available to anyone that has access to two of the most popular streaming services. Two of the most notoriously vile films go from only being available via tape trading and word of mouth to being available to pretty much anyone with an internet connection.

Yet... you still can't say the word "fuck" on television or radio. :eek2:

5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Exactly - lets not get off topic about eating meat or not.

6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I remember still being freaked out by the 9/11 attacks and I wanted to see a film that wasn't bombastic or gruesome...
    By October I thought I'd be able to handle such fare at the cinema. Cannibal Holocaust was featured as a special Halloween showing at a nearby retro house. So, expecting the campy fun of "Ferox" I paid the admission. Well...I left the cinema well bummed-out and drained.
    I found the film well done and disturbing. It's not a fun film to watch over and over but I really like it. I think I have seen it a total of 2 times since 2001. Good film but not something I'd revisit soon.
    Hulu? I think this film may have been featured on a local SF/Bay Area horror hosted program recently. They have done "Slave of the Cannibal God" already along with "The Boogeyman" and "Creepers" (PHENOMENA) so it's possibles.

7. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

So, when I watched CH on Hulu a few things stood out for me:

1. I actually wasn't that bothered by the animal scenes. I'm a meat-eater and relatively concerned about the humane treatment of animals. But I am also comfortable with where meat comes from, how the whole animal kingdom/food chain thing works and I accept that things die so that others can live. And, as grotesque as it is, it's really no worse than any of the Mondo films that were coming out at the same time. Is it sensational and hypocritical the way the scenes are shown in CH, absolutely. But...

2. I kept thinking of a quote that Wes Craven had about LHotL. I'm paraphrasing, but he said something along the lines of "in order to make an effective horror film, you have to convince the audience that the filmmakers are insane. The audience has to believe that they are in the hands of madman." And, CH definitely does convey that and I think the animal footage goes a long way to establishing that. There certainly is a feeling that there are no holds barred after that.

3. The thing that actually ended up shocking or upsetting me the most was all the sexual abuse. I don't know if I've grown more mature or if I just hadn't see this cut before. But, that stuff really made me hurt inside.

4. Regardless of the material, I can not deny that this is one effectively made film. The way the repulsion factor just keeps ramping up, the way the music is used, the slow introduction of the found footage. All of it was quite brilliantly handled in a way to maximize the audience manipulation. The main sex scene that happens in the middle of the film was brilliant. It starts of slowly like any other sex scene, then slowly reminds you that this is an exercise in pure voyeurism when you realize that one of the characters is filming it, making the audience complicit in the luridness, and then it goes a step farther to reveal just where they are actually having sex and the full repugnance becomes revealed. Even though the whole "message of the film is bullshit, I can not deny that the whole film is one stunning example of effective audience manipulation.

As much as I was appalled watching the film, I was equally stunned by all the craft and brilliance that went into making it.

8. j tea

j tea New Member

interesting, you must have had your teeth surgically altered.

[​IMG]

also, i said most people, there are certainly diehard people out there who are unapologetically proud of their dominion over the planet.

in other news, the cannibal holocaust soundtrack is the best italian horror has to offer. my first viewing of the movie was in the late 90s on a bootleg vhs i bought on ebay. it felt pretty sleazy and authentic.

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Rape scenes can be uncomfortable to watch but they definitely don't offend me like they seem to offend a lot of people here.

As for the comment about those tribal people and if they qualify as savages, I really don't think it matters if they are or not. They've live out in the jungle for so long and have their own way of life that doesn't interfere with ours so I'd think it wrong to interfere. It's fascinating if anything.

10. zombiehorror

zombiehorror Member

Lion's teeth are not the only example of a carnivore (humans are as well) but way to try and take a truth and exaggerate into a fallacy! You must create memes in your spare time!

Are you saying a humans teeth more closely resemble a rabbits? Gerbil? Or chipmunk? :D

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

lets not get silly. I don't think anybody is exactly upset that we're at the top of the food chain. but with great culinary options comes great responsibility...