Byzantium (2013)

Discussion in 'General' started by othervoice1, May 27, 2013.

1. marcx

marcx Active Member

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

3. marcx

marcx Active Member

Thanks!

4. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Arterton looks good but I thought she was pretty poor in this. In part it was because her character was so unlikeable and the relationship between the two leads did not ring true. The movie looks good, has a great setting, and has some different ideas for a vampire movie but ultimately it's overlong and stuffs too much into the last 30 minutes. I preferred Kiss of the Damned.

By the way, Arterton fans should absolutely watch The Disappearance of Alice Creed.

5. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I guess I'm alone on this but I thought it was pretty damn boring. Some of the imagery was cool and I dug the cast but for the most part I had to fight myself from falling asleep.

6. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I agree Twister...it was pretty boring...so much so I don't even remember what it was about....I only watched it two weeks ago too.

I watched Kiss of the Damned before Byzantium and enjoyed that one a little more, even though that one has its fair share of problems as well. The main guy character reminded me of Mac from "Its Always Sunny...", so I had a hard time taking him seriously.

7. MisterTwister

Yeah the storyline was so not engaging that I can't remember WTF it was about. I only remember it jumped back and forth between time periods.

I loved Kiss of the Damned myself but the lead did look like Mac :lol:

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I just watched this on Showtime and LOVED it. I didn't even realize it had been released on disc. It was pretty much a new spin on Interview With The Vampire, also directed by Neil Jordan. I had watched Kiss Of The Damned on NetFlix a few days ago, and this one was much much better. Saoirse Ronan was really terrific here, especially in the scene where she's discussing her essay with the school counselor. The only weak link was the guy who played her boyfriend, who was absolutely dreadful, but fortunately Ronan was good enough to carry their scenes.

I'll definitely be picking up the disc. I would recommend checking this out to anyone who hasn't yet, I really hadn't seen much about it in terms of advertising. Very underrated, if you enjoyed Interview you should enjoy this one.

9. MisterTwister

I thought Kiss of the Damned was far, far, far, FAR better. This one was like watching paint dry.

10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

For those saying it was boring, I hear you. It took me two viewings to make it through. I found the boy was really difficult to understand. Why do they cast people that mumble?

Any way, I'm so glad I gave it another chance. Once they stop fucking around with the relationship between the daughter and the boy and get to the back story, things start rolling along well. By the end of it I was really hooked. Loved the Blade Runner reference and even appreciated the Twilight nod. And it totally all pays off in the end. I would definitely recommend this and re-watch it at some point.