Brad Dourif Joins Halloween Remake!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by fridayfan13, Jan 20, 2007.

1. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Well, I'm a big fan of Halloween, and one thing the franchise really needs is something a big nastier than what we've been offered thus far. Zombie has the potential to give us that - so there is some hope. Trotting out the actors from the previous two films is tired though, and does nothing but satisfy the WB crowd, imo. Can the man not stand alone?

In this thread we're discussing casting, and right now I'm not seeing anything to change my overall view on what we might get. I have not given up on the project though, who knows what it'll be? I'll certainly be watching this - with high hopes.

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Im surprised so many Rob Z haters out there- House of 1000 corpses wasnt great but wasnt bad either- better than most of the stuff that has been out lately including silent hill - the devils rejects was actually very good - so why the hate people? he is a horror geek like us and he made one so-so (or even call it bad if you want) and one very solid horror film. Pretty good start if you ask me. Save the hate for all the awful remakes (and yes im calling out TCM and Hills have Eyes) and video game horror flicks (Resident evil, Silent Hill (best of a very bad bunch),BloodRayne). I am very skeptical of yet another remake especially of a classic (and i really dont expect much) but heck Rob has a better chance of pulling it off than most of the so called horror directors out there now.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  3. Slow

Slow Guest

I don't think it's so much haters, I think it's that some people have nothing better to do than to complain about every aspect of a movies production. Or so it seems on a lot of these message boards.

4. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

--so why the hate people?--

Well, I can only answer for myself. House wasn't very good at all, really there's not much to be said about that one. Devils Rejects is very much overrated. People seem to want to sell Zombie as being a saviour to horror films or something, and he simply isn't. While Devils Rejects included some elements from 70's exploitation - I'm afraid that's all it had. He forgot to include characters we might care about, and to balance the film out. The soundtrack blew. So it was far from great. So if we're talking just about Zombie - I don't see much to get too excited about yet. I agree, as I mentioned a moment ago, that he could give us something decent here - but he's going to have to be a better filmmaker. That starts with a good script - and from what I've read so far, he doesn't have that, imo. So one is concerned. :)

And Slow, people care about their films, especially when it comes to well kown franchises. Frankly, it's the bread and butter for forums such as this. I too am following this topic on several boards, and I'd actually say people are generally in agreement with their concerns. We do need to see the film though to really know.

5. fridayfan13

fridayfan13 Guest

i dont know about everyone else, but i sure as hell cared about Cpt. Spaulding, Otis, and Baby. The soundtrack was perfect, nothing to dislike at all, it could not have been any better. i personally was totally impressed with The Devils Rejects. it was everything i wanted and then some. Just because you didn't like the characters or the music doesn't mean its a bad film. i know im not alone when saying that the characters are unbelievable and the soundtrack was perfect in every way. finally, some real music in a film. im sick of hearing fuckin rap, i want REAL MUSIC in a film.

i cant understand why people are so down on people like Rob Zombie and Eli Roth. Both are huge horror nuts who are putting out 5 star flicks. if you don't like these movies, fine, they are not for everybody, but at least its better than all of the mainstream "horror" that gets thrown our way. if there is one person i want behind the Halloween remake(which shouldn't happen in the first place), its rob zombie. no matter what, i will dislike the film because it will taint my view of the original, for better or worse, but at least i know that the best person for the job is behind the camera. the script may suck, but the last thing i want is a remake like psycho, so im all for taking some serious liberties with the original.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
  6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I've enjoyed Rob's first 2 flicks and was semi-looking forward to this before any cast was announced. Now with this cast I'm really looking forward to it.
    Even though Rob was an asshole when I met him I love seeing someone giving these genre actor's more work. I could do without seeing his wife in every flick he makes [insert whip-noise here] but can live with it.

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I didn't know Halloween was publicly traded. Regardless, last we saw Michael Myers, he got his ass handed to him by Busta Rhymes in a seriously god awful film that I thought killed the franchise for good. If Rob can manage to bring it back, more power to him because I want it back. If he can't, it for sure won't be because the cast was just too good for a horror movie.

I am sure everyone is complaining about this movie and others at many internet forums. This is news?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
  8. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Um yeah...so how's about that part for The Cap....I mean Sid there aye Robbie?

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    This is just NO kind of news to me. I wish Rob had created something original with this horror "who's who" cast.

10. Yeah, because Malcolm MacDowell was kick-ass in Ho1K. As far as I can tell, the only person from Ho1K in Halloween is Sheri Moon. I could be mistaken, but I don't think the cast is overrun with actors from that film. There are lots of Devil's Rejects veterans in there (we'll assume that's what you meant), but with the exception of Mr. Zombie's ever-present wife, it looks like they're almost all good actors with solid resumes, and like someone else mentioned, they are actors I would like to see more of anyway. I don't think we can fault a director for wanting to work with people with which he has had good experiences previously, especially when the director is as inexperienced as Zombie. But I agree, casting Danielle Harris was DEFINITELY catering to the WB crowd.

11. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

I remember when the inital negative reviews of H1kC were coming out we were told by the fanboys to hang tight, that the movie isn't finished with editing and that Zombie was a huge horror fan and he wouldn't disappointed us.

deja vu.

12. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Sorry, Devils Rejects :D

Personally I don't need to see them again in a Halloween film. There have been calls from the fanboys and girls to get Sam Haig involved, what a nightmare. It's a Devils Rejects wet dream, isn't it? :D

I don't think this is looking good, and I have seen no evidence that zombie understands horror films beyond it being something nasty. We'll see.

13. Gotta keep you honest ;)

I have nothing against Sid Haig (all I've seen him in are Zombie's films and I enjoyed him there well enough), but at this point I don't see where he would fit into this remake. Of course, I'm not making the movie so I don't know. I surely hope that, if Haig gets stuffed in there, it's for a good reason.

For the record, I thought Ho1K was nowhere near classic, but not the worst I've seen. Sort of like the most aesthetically appealing turd in the bowl, I suppose. I loved Devil's Rejects though. At the very least, the guy's improving.

14. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Honestly i think he has put himself in a no win situation- It can never be as good as the original- it will be compared to the original even though it is not really supposed to be a straight up remake- I really just think it was a bad idea with such a beloved classic-It could end up being a pretty decent flick but will still be critiqued to pieces by almost everyone- he should have done a sequal instead of some sort- there is just about no expectations for sequals to any of the big 3 anymore (halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on elm street) so there is about nowhere to go but up there. That was originally what I thought he was gonna do when I first heard the rumors a long time ago.

15. Marclar

Marclar Member

Unfamiliar faces is exactly what I like to see in any new films. It is a Hollywood trend to stuff movie with stars to get pple to see it....and most prove to be as shallow as they could be.

16. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Easy, he should be playing Loomis. :p

"I shot him 6 times!" would be great coming from his mouth.

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I don't think most of this "dream cast" is going to be in the movie that long. Some may only have one scene actually.

18. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

If Sid played the part of Loomis....holy shit that would've ruled.

19. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Huh? She was in TWO Halloweens for fucksake!

20. I have the feeling I was trying to be sarcastic, but upon re-reading my post I see absolutely no indication of that whatsoever. I'm blaming Winking Owl Merlot($2.49 a bottle at Aldi's!).