Blumhouse's Black Christmas - December 13th, 2019

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by CPT HOOK, Jun 13, 2019.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

It wasn't all bad. The rational girl's "excuse me what?!" line is one of those moments you rarely see in horror movies. A moment of realism to the amount of stupidity that the main character wants to engage in. Although the movie gets really dumb after that. I'll check later on to see if she's in any other horror movies.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It really was though lol. I didn't even make it 10 mins in before turning it off as it was already incredibly stupid at that point.

Chris Stuckmann did a great review with some clips that highlight just how ridiculous moments in this movie get and how trash it is. I couldn't sit through it, especially after seeing those clips.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. ImmortalSlasher

Yeah he pointed out the car scene. That's the big one and has the "excuse me what" line. A movie like this really shouldn't be profitable. It's probably not the actors fault as they only read what they are given. And I've seen far worse performances.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Zombie Dude

I don't think it was profitable. It's not respectful to those who love the original, nor it it even a similar story, begging the question of why bother using the name? For those that aren't familiar with the original or it's remake, it's not even a good horror movie in any respect to please a casual crowd. Why they were catering this film to just uber feminists and the "woke" crowd I don't know. I hear the new Craft movie is close to being this bad too.

Steel76 likes this.
  5. ImmortalSlasher

According to wiki it made $18.5 million on a budget of $5 million. So even if you double the budget for marketing. They are clear. Plus whoever decided to buy the DVD / Blu-ray.

6. Zombie Dude

This shocks and disturbs me greatly.

Katatonia, ImmortalSlasher and hots4 like this.
  7. ImmortalSlasher

Yeah, it's like that with so many Blumhouse movies.

8. Zombie Dude

Is it? I often find myself enjoying their stuff. That's not to say they don't have some stinkers though.

Steel76 likes this.
  9. ImmortalSlasher

Financially with their bad movies? Yes. At least all the times I check. I usually check wiki after watching a movie.

10. Zombie Dude

Ah financially, yes I agree. I'm surprised some of their shittest films can still turn a profit.

11. ImmortalSlasher

I finally saw the original Black Christmas. I want to see the first remake again now to compare. But it really makes me curious what the people behind the second remake were thinking. Seeing as the plot is basically nothing like the original movie aside from maybe a few scenes and a cat.

12. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

I am gonna be different here and say I really enjoyed this movie. But in the middle I realised it wasn't a horror film, but it was an allegorical film ala Aronofsky's Mother. Then i was good for the rest of the movie, which was composed of social metaphors interacting in place of character and plot. Was it tame? Yes, but not only was that great as it was in line with who needed to see this, but I liked the characters so much I didn't want to see bad happen to them (and that includes the killers). Sometimes the characters came off as a pinch righteously obnoxious as we all should be at 20, and after years of Proud Boy laptop bikers' mayhem, it wasn't as implausible as it used to be. It strived to hew close to being as woman centric as the original, and to me it was the film The Slumber Party Massacre thought it was being. Refreshing film that didn't want to talk down to its audience about white male privilege structures, minority male role duality in gender privilege opportunity, the importance of sisterhood and "nasty" womanhood over female passive agressive embracing of ultimately futile role hierarchy, and the pressure cooker created by cancel culture, objects of tradition being weaponised against people who weren't in top tiers of society (not only christmas objects but bow and arrow representing the weaponisation of love symbolism), and the shortcomings of a pandering protection system based on devaluing female reactions as "hysteria" (the use of that word in the movie wowed me- look up what it originally meant). And just great normal woman sorority characters that actually looked like they paid tuition and studied for once (my apologies to Legally Blonde). Made me wanna go reread my Carole Gilligan. Interesting that the males were wearing scold's masks; in their quest for supremacy they were obliterating their own individual "voices" to literal toxic masculinity while being victimised themselves by a power structure using them as its tools. To me it was a Sam Fuller movie about BLM zeitgeist. I wished they kept the alternate ending though, as it was about the vigilance needed to keep power structures from reverting.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I actually watched this remake again before Christmas. When I saw it in the theater, I kind of jumped ship around the big "not all men" argument half-way through and found the rest incredibly stupid. This time around I was fairly on board until the last 15 minutes or so, up until Riley sneaks into the frat house while Landon distracts. From there on, it's still incredibly stupid and poorly done. Compromised as it may be, it does push the boundaries of the PG-13 rating. The "rosy cheeks" bit, while not overly graphic, was slightly squirm inducing. The Deleted Scenes on the blu-ray do feature a couple slightly longer kills, but really not much worse than what you see in the movie. You can tell it was definitely filmed as an R-rated movie though, as they have the uncut version of the aforementioned "not all men" argument and the characters are dropping "fuck" right and left. You also get Kris proclaiming "SUCK MY CLIT" during the finale, which is abbreviated to just "SUCK MY --" in the finished film.

So yeah, it's still a pretty bad movie and by far the worst of the three films, but there are a couple of effective moments in it. I really like the reveal with the cop bursting into the sorority house, only to find that it's also happening at a different sorority. Something I didn't pick up on the first time around, the movie seems to blame the whole of toxic masculinity on this statue and the black goo, so it was a little baffling when they destroy the statue and release all the men from its spell, only for the women to then kill all the men anyway by barricading and burning them up in the frat house (burn down the patriarchy, subtlety is not this movie's strong suit). However, what I missed was a moment before that when Riley scratches the lead frat guy and he bleeds red, meaning he was never under the influence of the goo: he was just an asshole.

Of course, I also revisited the original Black Christmas this month. Still perfection. I watch it every December, and the "calls are coming from the house" moment still gives me chills. It's probably my favorite 98 minutes of every year.

Anyway, if you want to see a really great movie about rape-culture, don't miss Promising Young Woman. I caught one of Focus's free virtual screenings on the 23rd, and LOVED it! It's wickedly entertaining and thought-provoking, with an ending I certainly didn't expect. Easily one of the best movies of 2020.

14. ImmortalSlasher

Quick review of the original Black Christmas.

I didn't know Black Christmas inspired Halloween. I hated the ending. But I guess that's close to the Halloween similarity as well. But it's the incompetent cops in Black Christmas. That is a running joke in a lot of early slasher type horror movies I've seen. I will continue to believe that Carpenter's influence by Hitchcock helped Halloween more than anything. Hitchcock made masterpieces.

Black Christmas reminded me a bit of When a Stranger Calls with the phone calls and killer in the house. But Black Christmas came out first. I still need to see the original of that one. I like the line in the Stranger Calls remake when one of the characters just says don't pick up the phone.

Margot is awesome in the movie. I thought I wouldn't like her character from the quick bit I saw years ago. But she's the sort of female character that I like in horror movies. In just about every scene she's holding a glass or a bottle of something. Joking around and having fun. However it's also sad considering how she died.

I did have a double feature with Amityville Horror, first time seeing that one too. But I'm going to hold off on the rest of that series. I only see the remake on demand and want to watch the rest in order. I do believe that Amityville Horror is a better movie than Black Christmas. I need to see Sisters again. I only saw that once and can barely remember it.

On the second Black Christmas remake, it seems like they just took the title. Maybe they wanted to do something similar to the original Halloween idea of a different story every year or so with the Black Christmas title. That's the only reason I can think of the remake's story that isn't similar to either the original or first remake. Or just that they wanted to make some female empowerment movie using the Black Christmas title to help it make money.

I did find the first remake online and watched that again. I just found out that it has an alternate version as well. But I saw the one I watched years ago. I still like the cast of girls in this one. They are all funny. But it's not a good movie. Too mean spirited, crude, and harsh with the violence. It is a good looking movie. All of the modern horror remakes from those years seem to have that modern colorful look. But this Black Christmas series overall is a miss to me. I don't see myself revisiting them.

What's the alternate ending?

I spoiled Promising Young Woman by checking wiki. Doesn't seem like my thing. I don't want to say that I don't get modern rape culture. I don't like the Me Too thing which I mention in my 2019 Black Christmas review that was in the October topic. Not to make a joke of it but I remember posting years ago that this scene is what I thought was rape growing up.

Modern day situations are very different. I remember Serena Williams getting into trouble because she took what people thought was a blame the victim position. I also remember a newswoman getting into it with a woman who claimed assault or date rape. But the newswoman took the position that it was just a bad date because the woman kept going back to the guy's apartment after having dinner. I think it was one of those women who wanted a free dinner or something and not a date. But anyway, I believe modern rape is basically whether or not a person says no at any point.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It's basically the same as the theatrical, only it ends on a close-up of the sole surviving male Landon's hand, where you see black toxic masculinity goo dripping off it, suggesting he's under the influence as well.

16. ImmortalSlasher

Ok. They just wanted to make a pointless sequel.

17. Zombie Dude

To go along with their pointless remake.

Steel76 likes this.
  18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I’d rather eat a bowl of my own shit, that watch this crap.

Would someone just please go back to making proper entertaining slashers, with plenty of nude chicks being stalked by a chainsaw wielding inbred maniac? No plot needed, just tits and gore.

19. Zombie Dude

I mean I would prefer some plot but otherwise I completely agree. These woke horror's are only horrifying by how agenda driven they are.

Steel76 likes this.
  20. ImmortalSlasher

So many movies get the focus group treatment these days. But I wonder how much they had to search for a crowd that actually liked that last Black Christmas remake.

Zombie Dude likes this.