Blue Underground going Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Crystal Plumage, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what "regular folks" feel about the new transfer/ upgrade. I'm assuming caps-o-holic can't really do a 4k screenshot justice.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

They have it. They're searching for better source elements. Fairly common knowledge by now.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm looking forward to hearing those thoughts too. If it's anything like Zmobie or House by the Cemetery then it should look phenomenal.

They mentioned that after my post. Till that moment I don't think most of us were quite sure what was happening with The Prowler or if BU even still owned it. Hopefully they can find the elements they need.

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I started watching the UHD of Dead and Buried.
    But goddamned is it dark. The scene with the drunk man, about 14 minutes into the movie, is so dark that that stuff gets crushed in the dark.

I tried the included blu-ray, and the scene is much brighter, with no crushed details.

I haven't seen this mentioned in any reviews, or on blu-ray.com. But I doubt it's my tv settings, since I never had this problem with other movies.

Though it feels like every review of a UHD disc, always gets glowing reviews, no matter what.

I think I'll just watch the 4K remastered blu-ray disc instead.
    It's brighter and the UHD disc doesn't look any sharper anyways. Though the grain is more stable on the UHD.

This is one of those movies, where 4K resolution is just overkill.

Though the included blu-ray looks better than the old one, even though it's not a major upgrade.

Can anyone else compare the UHD with the Blu-Ray, 14 min into the movie, and tell me if the image is much darker on the UHD?
    So I know if it's my tv or player that messes things up.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It's definitely darker on 4k. I've seen screen caps showing this and this is just often the case with 4k films to be honest. I think it's just that that scene is incredibly dark by nature that they probably boosted it for the blu so the backs wouldn't actually crush. On the 4k it can show as intended.

Steel76 likes this.
  6. Steel76

Yeah, maybe your right, and the blu-ray shows more background details, than intended, due to boosting.
    On my Panasonic player, I can strip off the HDR, and watch movies in SDR 10-bit instead, which made it a little bit brighter, but it's still darker than the 1080p version.
    But after comparing another dark scene, it did actually look boosted (especially the faces), and more unnatural on the Blu-Ray.
    The grain looks funkier as well in some of the darker scenes. Guess due to the boosting.

I actually dug up my old VHS, just to compare for fun, and DAMN is it dark and muddy. The scene with the drunk, is even darker, with the entire image going total black, until we see the drunk stumble into the light.
    The "good old VHS days", when you tried to raise the brightness, to see shit, but got nothing, due to total black crush :D

I wonder what it was like to watch this in the theaters.

I'll finish watching the movie on the UHD tonight.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I saw this in the theater back in June of 1982. It's been nearly 40 years so my memory is vague at best. At the time I was a teenager and didn't really pay attention to scenes being dark. It played on a double bill with Parasite. If I find a decent price I'm still going to pick up the UHD.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  8. Steel76

I compared more scenes on Dead and Buried, between the BD and UHD discs.
    The reason why the UHD is so much darker, is because it's a totaly different version of the 4K transfer.
    The BD is more colorful, featuring more blue moon light tint, in the darker scenes, which is often missing on the UHD, and as mentioned earlier, much more details is visible on the BD.
    Which is kinda backwards, since HDR is supposed to bring out more shadow details.

The scene, 45 minutes into the movie, when the cop is searching for the guy he ran over, was so dark, it became annoying.
    I don't have the best eyesight in darkness, so it became straining for the eyes, trying to make out some of the details.
    So I continued with the blu-ray, and in comparison, stuff that is supposed to be seen, was more visible now.
    I think they went overboard with the darkness in the UHD transfer. Something inbetween of the BD and UHD would have been perfect.
    Maybe it looks better on a display with higher nits.
    Gonna try the disc on my friends display, which is a Sony, with an insane amount of nits.

But I guess they made the BD transfer first, decided to also make a UHD, and held on to the BD, while at the same time, doing additional color correction, on the UHD transfer.
    So it's kinda like with New York Ripper and House by the Cemetery, where the BD and UHD have a different colors, even though it's the same 4K scan.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=16242&d2=16136&s1=173634&s2=171909&i=4&l=0

Maybe the UHD IS more true to the original look, but the darker scenes is more easy on my eyes on the BD.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Katatonia and russweiss like this.
  9. Steel76

Just finished the movie.
    I haven't seen it, in over 15 years, since I never got the old blu-ray. It's even better than I remembered, and damn creepy.

Katatonia and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Steel76 likes this.
  11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    That was the double bill in my hometown at the discount theater - PARASITE plus co hit DEAD & BURIED. Good times...anyway...back to the topic :)

14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I clipped the newspaper ads for both of those films but not when they were playing on a double bill.