Blue Underground going Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Crystal Plumage, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

LOL, I wouldn't want them all. I can't even think of any single release that I've ever purchased more than one of just because of a packaging difference.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Then I'm confusing you with someone else lol. Somebody here boasted that they purchased all 3 Zombie cover variants.

The Germans have had success with cover variants but they put a lot of effort into them. They mostly use International posters or some variation of them and they look great on those Mediabooks. I've resisted getting caught up in cover variant madness only because it's expensive. What BU is doing here is lazily trying to capitalize on the variant market. They're going about it the wrong way.

Zombie Dude and Katatonia like this.
  3. Katatonia

Nope, definitely not me. I do own a lot of movies, sometimes even several editions, but buying different cover variants of the same release... nope.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I've been guilty of buying multiple German covers, but just the Hartboxes. But that's rare for me these days since they collectively moved to Mediabooks which I don't care for.

I only bought one Zombi 2 cover from BU however (Olga). :D And I'm only getting one Dead & Buried cover (nurse). I do like multiple choices and under that slip cover is the original cover art within the case so there's not much to complain about.

Looking forward to this release and the discovery of better elements gives hope for other films.

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Zombie Dude and hots4 like this.
  6. Katatonia

Steel76 likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Thought I'd add here that if anyone has a slip for Zombie 4k I'd be interested. When I finally got around to getting mine it unfortunately didn't have one.

8. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/BlueUndergroundFilms/posts/10159080331220149

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

10. Zombie Dude

Well, never liked Two Evil Eyes so that's an easy pass for me. Was hoping for Inferno or The Prowler.

Steel76 and othervoice1 like this.
  11. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Inferno would be pretty awesome 4k release - hope they do that one soon

12. zbinks

I don't think Inferno is likely to happen, through Blue Underground or anyone else, anytime soon. I have a feeling Disney, via their acquisition of Fox's film library, controls most of the worldwide distribution rights to the film. More importantly, they probably control access to the OCN. I don't see them allowing access to anyone else, but I also don't think they have any interest in creating a new master, themselves.

Katatonia likes this.
  13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Two Evil Eyes is an OK time waster but I don't need it on 4K so I'll be passing on this myself. Actually, I never needed BU's last Blu-ray reissue, either, since I already had the 88 Films edition. If we get at least one more 4K upgrade this year I hope it's Da Pwowlah.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Surely it shouldn't matter if Disney did own the rights. I don't think it's a film they would hold close to heart or care about so why wouldn't they lease it out?

15. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Disappointing...
    I bought the new Blu-Ray last year. Argento's part is okey, but otherwise, it's still pretty boring.

People have been asking for a 4K remastered The Prowler, for many years now...

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

For some reason, I was never attracted to Two Evil Eyes. Never owned in any format, never watched it. I would have been all over The Prowler and the Maniac Cop sequels in 4K.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

When Disney took over Fox's theatrical distribution they pulled back on the reigns of nearly all Fox back catalog theatrical titles. That was what? A little over a year ago? Don't know how they're handling it now but Disney was tapping the breaks on Fox's back catalog, much as they do their own. Disney has a "vault" strategy where they have distributions windows for back catalog releases and then shelve them for a period of time to build back demand. Historically this was a 10 year cycle but with increasingly multiplying formats it's been a faster rotation. But it is a cause for concern over Fox's back catalog as Disney is know to be skittish about the less "family friendly" titles they come to own.

However, while I don't know who owns Inferno, looking at its home distribution history, it does not appear Fox was the decision maker. It seems Fox has theatrical and streaming rights. But interestingly on Amazon Prime they only offer it in SD with Blue Underground's label on the poster. Lustig has been pretty open that he's concentrating now on titles he has a lock on and is not too interested in new acquisitions. Considering Inferno does not seem to be in the "lock" category we might not see it from BU in the near future. We may see Inferno come from another distributor first, probably Germany or Italy, then Arrow, before Blue Underground if other patterns hold. But who knows? Lustig has been surprisingly aggressive with UHD and may quickly run out of easy turn overs and with that head of steam start on less certain titles like Inferno.

And don't call me Shirley.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. zbinks

Fox may not hold US home video rights, but most of the international releases, including Germany, France , Japan and the UK, were licensed through Fox and have Fox logos on the packaging. I don't recall if there was an Italian Blu-Ray release, or not, but I believe Fox controls those distribution rights, as well. I believe all the Blu-Rays are derived from the same scan, and I'm pretty sure that scan was provided by Fox, and that's the problem in a nutshell. If those elements are in Disney's possession, they hold the keys to the kingdom, so to speak. Disney's not likely to provide anyone else access to the OCN to create a new master, because it's mostly their film, but they're also not likely to create one themselves.

X-human likes this.
  19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Does seem unlikely then. Very unfortunate.

Fred Olen Ray talked a bit about trying to work with Lionsgate recently on releasing older titles and they just didn't give a fuck. Wouldn't even send him basic paperwork they're legally obligated to produce. Disney's much the same way. They neglect Micky Mouse films, how do you think they'll treat old foreign horror?

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Eh. It's worth a watch, seeing as it's Romero and Argento together.

But yeah, I got the Blue Underground DVD of it (and I think that was in a bargain bin) and have no need to upgrade it for as often as I watch it.

Zombie Dude likes this.