Blockbuster reinstates late fees

Discussion in 'General' started by BroodingHope, Mar 4, 2010.

1. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I have never in my life gotten a blockbuster membership but had friends that did- and blockbuster always has and always will suck. For the last several years I have just stuck with netflix and its been great- only had one bad disc come in the mail and they had me another one within 2 days.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

About 14 years ago or so I was a day late in returning a movie and knowing I had a late fee waiting the next time I rented something was enough to keep me from ever going back. :lol:

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I think it sucks, but I don't have the late fee issue since there is a Blockbuster like 5 minutes from my house. I like the Netflix-esque deal they have. Get 3 flicks in the mail and then trade 'em in for free movie rentals in the store. I get my old school horror flicks that are never in the stores thru the mail, then the wife and I take them back to the store on Friday or saturday night and get the new releases - works for me.

5. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Blockbuster just plain sucks. They have a horrible selection, shit customer service, and their stores look more and more like a goddamn swap-meet. Contrast that with Netflix who have EARNED my business for the last ten years with an excellent selection, innovative and useful services like instant streaming, and stellar customer service. I don't see how this turd of a company is still limping along. Late fees will be the thing that kills them and I say good riddance.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Blockbuster sucks, but they could be worse. They could be Movie Gallery.

7. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Everybody walk the dinosaur.

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Is Blockbuster still around?

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Late fees shouldn't kill them, but charging late fees on shit that's not late will. That's why I boycotted them for the longest time, and have only rented 2-3 things there over the last 10 years, and that's only because I couldn't get them anywhere else.

10. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

This is exactly what I do and is also why I will be bummed when they do finally fold (which will happen eventually, as we all know).

11. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

What's BlockBuster :D

I am glad some of you are getting good use out of them, still. I just never had fond memories of them. It sounds like a good deal they have with getting films in the mail, do they have they great of a selection though? Better than Netflicks?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  12. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

The online selection is definitely comparible to NetFlix. There's only been a few really obscure titles I couldn't get from them that I had a friend grab for me with his Netflix account. The trade in for free movies in store is what makes it worth it - plus the fact there's one so close to my house. Once my Blockbuster closes down I will probably switch to Netflix, but for now it's just stupid for me not to double my movies for the same monthly price.

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

They're circling the drain,times have changed.In a couple of years you'll find it about as easy to locate an old style video store as you would a blacksmith.

14. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I think they have closed most of their locations in my area, as has Hollywood Video. I agree, the door is really closing on that type of business.

Netflix all the way for me, I have not had a complaint about them in a long time. I also like RedBox for new releases that I have trouble getting on Netflix.

15. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Every time I rent from Blockbuster I get a scratched to Hell disc that freezes up and is virtually unplayable. Some of the damn things are so dirty they look like previous customers ate their dinner off of them. I miss the family owned video store quite a bit, there used to be tons of them around here with lots of obscure titles.

16. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat here. Every time I have rented from BB, I usually get a couple of movies at a time. And EVERY time, at least one of the discs is unplayable. With the low cost of most of the stuff that I like, it really seems more effective for me to just buy the damn thing. When factoring in time and gas to keep returning damaged discs, I think I still end up paying less when I just purchase them.

As for the late fees, all I can say is that late fees seem to have worked quite well for Redbox. http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/58723

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Meh, this isn't something that bothers me. I haven't rented a film from a video store like Blockbuster in maybe 6 years.

~Matt

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

yeah I can't remember the last time I rented a movie. I just buy whatever interests me.

19. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

That pretty much sums it up for me, I buy a lot more now too.
    On the bright side there's an old man who runs a used record shop not far from where I live and he pays pretty nicely for used DVD's so that's where mine end up after repeated viewings.

20. Here in the UK, Blockbuster swept in from across the pond and killed so many indie video shops so quickly and had the monopoly on video rental in this country - and yet, they've never made money over here. Hence why all of their stores are quietly closing down one by one, instead of making a fuss by all closing at once.

Anyway, once they're gone, there'll be insufficient demand (well, there probably is already) for DVD rental to carry on full stop, so that'll be the end of that. Like the tagline to Hardware says, you can't stop progress... but it'll be a strange time.