Beware Walmart is selling Mother of Tears R-Rated DVD!

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I didn't know there was anyplace in Florida that didn't have a Walmart!! Where are you in Florida??

2. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Thank you for your interest! I live here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_St._Joe,_Florida
    Drop by and see me some time.

3. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

4. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

No, you really couldn't imagine. You couldn't possibly. Just consider yourself fortunate.

I take that back about not being able to imagine it. Actually all you have to do is watch The Last Picture Show. Or even Texasville for a more contemporary representation since the “picture show” here closed in the 60’s. It’s pretty much the same town except with palm trees.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  5. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Yeah, I didn't see it anywhere. I ordered online, and am waiting to check it out.

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami

Oh, okay! Don't really remember the town, but I went to college very close by in Tallahassee and I'm sure I've passed through or nearby, since I've been all over the gulf coast, including Destin, Panama City and down to the beach on St. George Island.

7. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

This just came out up here a few days ago, so apparently MorallySound's post about it coming out on the 14th in Canada was correct.

I also just watched it and WOW, what an awful flick! Awful acting, awful dialogue, awful music, awful plot, awful cinematography (for an Argento flick, this was just inexcusable), awful, awful, awful! It's not like the guy was a narrative genius before all this, but at least the visuals tended to be worthwhile.

8. pacinofan

pacinofan Member

Yeah, Mother of Tears was released Oct 14 in Canada (apparently it takes a couple of weeks to make an ugly bilingual cover). Funny story, my local Wal Mart did have the unrated version (Canada seems to only get unrated versions of DVD's, which is fine by me). They had about 4 copies. When I went back later in the afternoon, they were all gone so I assume they were pulled.

I don't see why so many people hate the flick. It had some of the most outrageous gore I've seen in while. Admittedly, the acting by the 2 female eads (Asia and the MOT) is pretty horrendous. It's hard to take Asia Argento as a scientist seriously. At least her dad doesn't mind shooting her necked.

9. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I dunno, the whole "ghost mom" thing and every scene she was in, maybe? When she grabbed the flaming guy and pulled him into some other dimension? When she said "I can't talk anymore! I belong somewhere else!" and then showed up five minutes later? The fact that Daria Nicolodi has aged horribly ain't helping. Awful CGI isn't either.

The fact that the Third Mother, this all-powerful and immortal witch, had only semi-decent fake boobs? I mean, you'd figure she'd at LEAST be able to afford some a little lower on her chest so they nipples don't look sad.

All the actors looked like they were in a student film. Even the blocking was awful, every scene consisted of two people standing still next to each other and talking. Everybody looked laughable, even the extras. When Udo Kier looks out the window at all the people in the courtyard, it looks like a bad stage play.

The whole thing looked more like a comedy than a horror movie. I'm not a huge Argento fan to begin with, I love Deep Red and really like Bird with the Crystal Plumage, but at least I loved the first 15 minutes or so of Suspiria, a few other scenes and the overall cinematography and atmosphere of it. This had NO atmosphere, it was just a cheesefest with some over-the-top gore that really served no purpose. I've got no problem with gore, but gore for gore's sake just gets a bit boring. Old Fulci flicks had crazy gore, but they just added to the atmosphere of dread and helplessness... if you died, it was gonna be in the most awful way possible. With MOT, it didn't have any atmosphere or involvement, so it seemed like something Argento was throwing in to be edgy more than anything else and that just came off as incredibly immature. This is something a fourteen-year-old would do.

Honestly, I'd like to think I'm fairly open-minded, but I have absolutely no idea how anyone could ever be positive about this movie. I think it's one of the most immature, poorly-made and downright SILLY movies I've ever seen. We made fun of it a bit, but mostly we were just bored.